Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• stiff
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Permanent Live 12v socket / Split Charge

Anyone know if its possible to get the 12v socket in the boot switched to permanent live ? Maybe someway by changing fuse connection (similar to D3/D4) ?

Haven`t sorted split charge system yet and could do with this socket being permanent for a few weeks.

Options/Ideas ?

Last edited by stiff on 10th Apr 2018 10:05 am. Edited 2 times in total

2018MY HSE Si6
    D3 2007MY HSE with a couple of extras....
  • stiff
    Luxembourg 

I'm going to take the lack of response as No then... Laughing

2018MY HSE Si6
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Possibly. The trailer circuit is in the same location as the wiring for the rear 12v socket. There may be a permanent live on the trailer circuit.

Isn’t there a fridge permenant 12v live.its bugging me from when I wired up my reversing light upgrade. Think there is.
  • stiff
    Luxembourg 

I'll see if I can find wiring for the trailer socket Thumbs Up

When you say "fridge permanent live" do you mean the fridge option at the front ? Possibly too far away seeing as this is a temp solution until the split charge and second battery is fitted ?

2018MY HSE Si6
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I think we are talking about a fridge in a caravan via the trailer socket?
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Yes fridge in caravan

Think it’s pin 10 on the trailer socket and I think pun 9 is a permenant live

• Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

There are a few more pictures in my reversing light upgrade post, they may be helpful.
  • Craigp
    England 

No the fridge wire only comes live when the engine is running. However there is a perment live for the low current stuff lighting etc in a caravan.
  • rich
    New Zealand 

My tuppence worth. Dont F... with trying to get socket to work when ignition off. Whole system is designed not to have anything that will flatten battery. If you need temp fix go buy the second battery that you have not had time to install and put it in the boot fully charged. Run your MUST HAVE stuff off that. Recharge it as required from outside source.
    I am running fridge in caravan when towing but smart alternator does not charge when under load so caravan battery gets run down a bit... if that makes any sense. Cheers
  • Rodisco5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I think you will find your Caravan fridge is not connected in any way to your Caravan battery but is connected to the switched live from the car . This will always have power to it as long as sufficient load is applied to the alternator, I run with side lights this works perfectly. There are 2 fuses in the right rear wing panel one for a permanent live to the trailer socket,the other for the switched power ( the fridge). I would not mess with either of these but your choice. The split change is built into the car if LR wiring is fitted.

Rodney
  • stiff
    Luxembourg 

Thanks for the tips 👍

Coincidently i was at a very good 4x4 outfitter yesterday (ERG - Cabrera de Mar down in Spain/Catalonia...the brand new Unimog they are turning into a camper is superb but wife wouldn’t let me sell the house... Laughing ). They have not yet done any work on a D5 and also cautioned against any temp solution.

So now I’m waiting to hear back from Traxide and looking at Redarc...

2018MY HSE Si6
  • stiff
    Luxembourg 

Permanent Live 12v socket / Split Charge

Thought I would post an update (and also changed the thread title to better align with how this will go).

Contacted Redarc and got a quick response. Recommendation from them is to install their BCDC1225D 25amp charger. It’s made for “smart” alternators and boosts charging voltage up to the necessary 14.5v Plus it has built-in regulation for solar panel.

Only problem i have is trying to find a dealer in my region - and not distributors with hit-and-miss info or working websites... Rolling Eyes

Still need to hear back from Traxide - which is strange as Tim/Drivesafe (if he still goes by that forum name) was always quick to respond in the past Confused

2018MY HSE Si6
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum