Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dixie Dean
    United Kingdom 

Caravanners and Trailer Towers - Changing Your Gearbox Oil

Hi all. I'm a D3 owner who has had his D3 for 10 years and intends to keep it for a while yet.

One big issue I have had with it is the gearbox oil. I tow a large caravan weighing in at 1.8 tonnes. I had to have the gearbox totally rebuilt last year because I failed to change the gearbox oil. General consensus from experts in the field is that if you tow heavy trailers at all regularly, the oil should be changed at 80K miles. If like me, virtually all your motoring is towing, consider changing your oil at 60K. That should ensure that unlike me, if you intend to keep your D5 for some time, or your buy one at around the above mileages, that the gearbox won't fail like mine at 120K. If the vehicle you intend to buy has not had its oil changed and has exceeded those mileages, consider another vehicle.

(You should, of course, change the gearbox oil at the same subsequent mileage intervals)

Hope this post is useful to any caravanners on here.
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

I’d suggest that 60,000 miles would be a sensible change interval before taking any significant towing into account!
  • Dixie Dean
    United Kingdom 

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt
  • Sodbury D5
    United Kingdom 

I changed the gearbox oil in my D3 at 70,000 miles, was bloody expensive but made the grearbox feel like new. Cant believe they say its sealed for life that’s BS.

Al,ways worth changing at a lower interval and will prevent failures later down the line, plus keep the car driving well too.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum