2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

AE Large Premium 4x4 2018

• Down & Dirty
    United Kingdom 

Excellent Thumbs Up
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Thumbs Up

Interesting that they find the 4 cylinder more refined than the V6. Seriously?

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

Other than missing the V6 burble ...I find the 2.0 very impressive Thumbs Up
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I’d say that’s a pretty accurate and honest report of the vehicle, the infotainment is clunky, BUT I’m not really noticing that because of the serenity, driving position and and aesthetics of the car. I’m fortunate enough to drive the number 2 spot in petrol and the ride and comfort of the disco tops that. Having extensively driven the FFRR I’d say it’s equal to the Disco in ride comfort and driver positioning, the FFRR drivers won’t like that but there you go.

As soon as I saw the Disco5 layout inside and after a 7 year love affair with an excellent D3 it was love at first sight all over again.

Off to Cornwall next week for a week camping, looking forward to it,

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Craigp
    England 

Thought Brighton was the place for that sort of thing. Laughing
  • BIGMAMMA
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Montalcino Red

Just my two-pennies worth;
    Having had three consecutive FF's, the latter being a 5.0SC (still makes me sad to think I sold it) then a brand new D4 in 2016 (couldn't get comfortable in that at all) I have to say with a degree of authority, my D5 HSE LUX is without doubt the closest thing to a FF without being one. Mine is the Td6, it was bought from my friendly dealer in Melton Mowbray, when I went to one of their used sales events. I saw a D4 in Montalcino red and fell in love with the colour.
    They found me one from JLR as a former management car and I bought it.
    It absolutely glides along, so much comfort, toys I will never use, let alone discover, and the space, though not quite as big and boxy as the D4, is ample.
    I'm known at work as 'the undertaker' because I drive without anger or aggression, though I do like to travel at the prevailing limit. I could get high thirties mpg from the D4 SDV6, but I can consistently get over 40 mpg from this car - the max I have so far is 44.6 on a long journey from Leicestershire to the Kielder Forest and back, mostly A1 at 70mph.
    it's a joy to drive, and a worthy winner of that award in my humble opinion.
    Mike
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

DG wrote:
    Other than missing the V6 burble ...I find the 2.0 very impressive Thumbs Up

I do agree the 2.0 was very nice to drive, quiet and refined. But I didn't think it was more refined than the V6, If it wasn't for the jerky way the car I tested drove away on a fairly steep incline I would have gone for the 2.0 too.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

My test drive with the 2.0L was a bit clunky, approaching roundabouts when lifting off and then going back back the throttle was a bit laggy and hesitant with a hint of wind up in the prop area I think.

There was a definate jolt. That said in gear was a lot better , a bit notchy on second and third gears on the uptake and downshift but once cruising it was fine. Personally I find the 3.0l a bit better for my driving style, very slow, lethargic and smooth.
    Mine went in a month or so ago for the Oil dilution, Oil and filter change and a re flash of the ECU or whatever he called it. Nothing at all changed software wise on the screen front as I told them I didn’t want the phase 3 update, but it immediately felt more willing to go and became more alive. Any one else noticed this in their car after the oil change ?

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

Not experienced any jerking or jolting tbh ...the only real tell tale for me is when it's in 1st or 2nd its a bit vocal but it's very smooth from 3rd upwards. Smile
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum