Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Navigation - request route diversion

can you mid route request a diversion ( say for 3 miles) , say if a road has just been closed.

I couldnt find this option anywhere

Am pretty sure my discovery sport and freelanders could all do this
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

i guess that diversion / re routing isnt possible then
    crap.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

What I do not understand is it's insistence on returning to a duff route!

A local road shows 800 yards of heavy traffic because of a road widening scheme.
    I drive along a parallel road to pass around it, but at every opportunity the system tries to direct back onto the traffic laden road!

What is that all about?
  • Craigp
    England 

Your car hates you Laughing
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I am starting to believe that! Rolling with laughter
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

You have "REAL TIME TRAFFIC FLOW" which means it is taking info via multiple live sources so it should know if there's a problem en route. Works well in London Smile
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Not in Devon!! Rolling with laughter
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

Horse & carts don't have telemetry sat navs Laughing
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

DG wrote:
    You have "REAL TIME TRAFFIC FLOW" which means it is taking info via multiple live sources so it should know if there's a problem en route. Works well in London Smile

A couple weeks ago i was following the sat-nav to circumvent some heavy traffic. Google maps was telling me to go one way, through the city during rush hour... Question made no sense at the time.
    So I decided to go the long way around and follow the D5 sat-nav... Censored Big Cry Censored Censored Evil or Very Mad

As i set off it was telling me to go a certain route which, half way, went around some local traffic where 2 motorways merge, made sense. But once i approached i noticed it had changed routing and showed there was no more traffic and all is well, so i didn't exit where i was first meant to.
    I ended up in gridlock a few hundred meters after the exit and a bend.
    Got stuck there for a good 27 minutes. And even as i was stopped in traffic, the Sat-Nav was telling me the road was clear and no traffic at all.

I thought the traffic had cleared up while i was driving, but no, the "real time traffic flow" was just unaware that hundreds of vehicles were still stopped on 2 motorways.
    I knew it was nearly impossible that traffic had suddenly disappeared but i didn't follow my human instinct.

I'll be following mu instinct and get some help from Google maps from now on, thank you.

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • Labbix

Try Waze !
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

Waze... all it seems to want to do is tell me where there's a fast food restaurant.
    And it never keeps north, always changes compass direction when zooming in or as i open the app.
    Not practical on the go, having to mess about with your screen just to have north pointing up. Can't seem to find an option for that.
    It keeps asking me if i'm a passenger because using it while driving is illegal... i'm sat at my desk looking at the app while typing this comment, not driving !?!?! Rolling with laughter

It never tells me anything much different than Google maps and i really don't like the design of the app. I can't see where the traffic is on a suggested route unless i zoom in really close.

With Google maps, it shows you clearly, green, yellow, red, black. Simple ! No zooming in needed unless it's a long enough journey. Much easier to figure out which route to take when you know the roads and the usual traffic spots.

I do look at both before setting off as Waze can be a bit faster on being up to date but the cons outweigh the pros for me.

And in Montreal, because we have perpetual road works and there are multiple major works on the way at once, we have a radio station dedicated to traffic reports. 24/7.
    So i look at waze, google maps and listen to the radio to make a judgment call when setting off towards traffic prone destinations.
    Luckily i don't have traffic between work and home, so no daily stress from that. Thumbs Up

• Labbix

Strange, I’m on iPhone 6 and waze worked extremely well (at least in Belgium), quicker to change and less traffic on the mentioned roads than google maps suggestions. I found it really useful as Brussels is one big trouble for cars
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

ForlornMTL wrote:

I thought the traffic had cleared up while i was driving, but no, the "real time traffic flow" was just unaware

It's only as good as the information being fed to it

Quote:
    REAL-TIME TRAFFIC FLOW
    Real-Time Traffic Flow uses millions of live traffic data feeds to give you the most accurate traffic information on your planned route. With better traffic information, planning, rerouting and completing your journey is more efficient than ever.

I would anticipate that if an incident occurred then the feedback to the system is reliant on other drivers having similar technology to feedback to the data feeds. If you had a line of traffic without the tech then that = no feedback
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

I understand it's as good as the information going in, but a few minutes earlier it knew about this incident and was leading me to go around it. But for some reason, during the drive, the system got told the incident had disappeared and led me straight to it. Maybe a system error, who knows. I'm not trusting it anymore Laughing

JLR uses here.com for the sat-nav and traffic info. Same used by Bing maps. I have had a hard time getting them to update our business info. We moved nearly 4 years ago and a few months ago they still had our old address in the system even though i've notified them of the changes.
    And i just checked right now. They have our new address and one that is over 15 years out of date, we've moved twice since then. Rolling with laughter

• ForlornMTL
    Canada 

Labbix wrote:
    Strange, I’m on iPhone 6 and waze worked extremely well (at least in Belgium), quicker to change and less traffic on the mentioned roads than google maps suggestions. I found it really useful as Brussels is one big trouble for cars

I'm on iPhone 7Plus with latest ios.
    Here is the same trip on Google vs Waze right now.
    Google is much easier to see what's going on. Waze has no indication as to where the traffic is or if there is any at all.

Yes, Waze is quicker on the delay updates as seen in these. Waze has the same route as Google at 4 minutes longer.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum