Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

The valve cap "gift"

Some of you will remember receiving the presentation valve caps when we were the first customers for the D5. Have you tried to remove them recently? I needed to check my tyres a couple of weeks ago and found each of the caps had corroded on to the valve.

Each cap was destroyed as the only way to remove them was to wrench them off with pliers!

Thanks Landrover for a "quality" gift 😥

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

They did say that due to their unique design and the fact they were adorned with a rubber grommet that they wouldn’t leak air, they are also designed to work with the TPMS ? Which I found odd.

Mine lasted a matter of days on various BMX bikes before they were deemed un cool, at which point they found themselves inside the house taking up position on the radiator cabinet, kitchen table, worktop, and window sill before eventually making it into the bin. The valve caps I had on were fine.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Oh dear Sad
    Then I'd better check mine as I haven't looked at them since putting them on.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

So much for weekly tyre pressure tests chaps ...tut tut Laughing Wink
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I had the same problem on my car a few years back. Had too take a Dremel too them, as no amount of twisting with the pliers would budge them.

It was twisting the valve which I was scared of splitting.

I had a set of metal ones. Car went in for a service and they ticked the box saying that all 4 tyres were checked for pressure Censored

Anyhow the ones I replaced with were then coated with vaseline on the brass valve tip. Similarly I did the same with the freebies we got just incase they corroded on.

Mind you I thought they LR ones are plastic, but must me metal inside Rolling Eyes

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Just checked mine and all good - so far Wink but to make sure there isn't a problem down the line, I have just put a smidgen of copper grease on the thread Smile
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

DG wrote:
    So much for weekly tyre pressure tests chaps ...tut tut Laughing Wink

No need too, the car automatically checks the pressures daily Rolling with laughter

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum