Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dave97v5
    England 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Farallon Black

Adaptive Headlamp Retrofitting

Has anyone looked into retrofitting adaptive headlamps on an HSE as my new car had them missed off the original order and dealer says they will try to fit them after delivery. Not sure if they use the same headlamps and just need a control ecu fitted and configured or if new lamps will be required as well.
  • Craigp
    England 

I understand they are different units but must admit I don't know what they do differently. The only thing I can see is the side lights come on at different speeds and cornering.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Can’t see how they can retro fit them tbh. Think your dealer is trying to avoid a rejection by the sounds of it.
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

I've got them on my D4. They are so good I'm not having them on my D5. Waste of space. They basically turn a bit when you are cornering. I mostly drive winding country roads and they make you dizzy eventually with no way to disable them.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I have adaptives on my D3. They do indeed direct the light beam around the corner as you are driving, I assume they are linked to the steering angle sensor, They also have side facing bulbs to illuminate left and right to assist in manouvering into tight spaces an night. I understand that new complete adaptive headlamps would be required with associated controlware also your CCF would need to be updated. I like mine!!! A £400 option on D5
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

The CCF is the big one along with any additional hardware.

I know from speaking with the Autologic help desk that they haven’t developed the software to enable the D5 aftermarket upgrades and certainly LR won’t, So your stuck.
  • Dave97v5
    England 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Farallon Black

Thanks for your thoughts on the retrofitting, it looks as if my dealer has messed up big style. I had them on my last D5 and found them very useful so I think I will be having a trip to the dealer tomorrow.
  • Craigp
    England 

I had them on my D3 and those moved. I'm not aware that these move if they do it's very subtle. To the point of not being noticeable.
  • RyanRC
    United States 

From what reports I read about a year or so more ago about the LED Adaptive's as this was something I was asking about a lot before it was eventually determined we cannot get these in the US was that most people could not even tell they had them let alone could figure out how they work.

One thing that seemed was well established was they do not turn like the old lamps by motors or some other thing but did something as best described by some dealers as turning on certain lights or groups of light in the row and not others.

Think the idea was to say some of them had different reflective angled mirrors then others.

But in the end no one ever really got a straight answer and again, at least by all reports on the boards I ever read no one ever said they could tell they had them one way or another as they never sensed any change in the light directions or could statically see this migrating light change.

One thing is for sure they defiantly put different and more costly parts in for them and if you like, here is a link to the best online parts list I was able to find: https://allbrit.de/epc.cfm?PAGE=4170105B&a...SPRACHE=EN
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

I believe the standard LED and adaptive LED units are different hardware:

Adaptive
    https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/536...nd_flasher

Standard LED
    https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/536...nd_flasher

The adaptive LEDs from what I have found out do not turn but have different light patterns which activate for different driving conditions

City - Wider shorter beam
    Country - Normal beam
    Motorway - Long narrow beam
    Bad Weather - Shorter narrower beam

I believe these are all controlled via the ECUs so I doubt that retrofitting would be feasible given the hardware change and probably having to run extra wires etc.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum