Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Huxey
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Tire and Loading Information/ Off-road tires

Hi guys. Could someone please upload a picture of the Tire and Load Information sticker on the door of their D5? Preferably someone driving on 20" wheels.

I'm looking at installing off-road tires on the original 20" wheels (20" 5 split-spoke 'Style 5011' in gloss black). Found a set of BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A ko2 LT275/55R20 115/112S that likely fit the wheels/wheel wells, but was told by the retailer (Costco) that they can't be installed because the speed rating is an "S" versus a "W" on the OEM tires. My thinking is that just because the OEM are "W" speed rated (max 270 km/hr) that shouldn't stop me from using "S" speed rated (max 180 km/hr) as long as I'm aware of the speed restriction. Do any of you have experience with this? I don't know much about tires. I was pretty excited to find out a good pair of off-road tires may fit without having to downsize the wheels.

Any tips or advice appreciated.

Thanks

HSE Lux TD6 Carpathian Grey, 20" Black Pack + loaded with options.
    Previously: 2011 BMW X5 MSport 35i Carbon Black
  • ravrav
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Here is a link that might help:

https://mycarneedsa.com/blog/what-tyre-spe...for-my-car

There are many conflicting views in discussions on the web, but a common theme is to ensure your insurance company are informed of any change.
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Taken from an HSE with 20" wheels (Black Gloss)

Click image to enlarge

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • RyanRC
    United States 

Its been a really long time ago I was involved with tires and so much so that back then they didn't even have these kinds of ratings, but my guess would be that over that speed probably doesn't mean its like the tire will just completely explode or something, but what it probably means is that the centrifugal force that will be made at those speed will make the tire deform just enough that it no longer is 100% in the manufactures design configuration.

In other words, your balance might get thrown off a bit, the strength the side wall has to the flat part of the tire say if you hit something really hard might not be the same and things like that.

But again, if I had to guess I doubt it means the tire will just completely fail or explode or something, but I would say the manufacture probably would no longer cover anything that might come of what happens over those speeds and even would say they would say their responsibility for a explosion should it happen would be off the table, which would explain why the insurance companies would then be all over that as they don't want to end up paying for something they could put to someone else.

Again it's been a long time for me and tires, but if I had to guess I would say why the factory tires primarily can have such a higher rating is that the rubber on the flat spot is of such a flatter design and perhaps is of less mass, it does not create as much centrifugal force. Where as the BF's have so much more meat and are not a uniform, that extra weight will create that.

Guess my point to that and is not that I have looked at any of this info is...but f you want "anything" that is going to be meaty like the BF's, you probably are going have to accept something of a reduction for that rating.

So whether you like it or not, if you want something with more bite, you probably are going to see that rating drop.

I might guess there might be tires that might not do that, but I would suspect they might be so costly it just would be nutty to spend that much on them. Might even find too as they are for more specialized applications such as professional racing, that the compound makeup is such that they probably will wear out and especially on pavement way sooner then say the BF's will.

Anyway, hope that is of some help

On a side note and don't mean to be rude by asking something off topic, but if you do put those on I would really love to see some pic's.

Those things look like they would really look good on a D5.
  • PeterW
    England 

Peter
  • RyanRC
    United States 

PeterW wrote:
    Ryan

Have a look at this

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic159023.html

Nice Thumbs Up
  • Huxey
    Canada 

Thanks guys for the information. The bottom line is that we need to drop several speed/performance ratings in order to have decent all-terrain tires, which is problematic.

• PeterW
    England 

Do Pirelli ATRs make a size to fit?

Peter
  • Grianaig
    Scotland 

Just returned to parking spot this morning find a 03 FFRR parked opposite. Front NS wheel was about 21/22 inches but rear was 18 inches. Looked odd. Fiddling with camera to take pic when driver appeared and drove off. At least when he did a U-turn I could see the offside wheels were also 21|/22 inches. I expect the smaller wheel was the original full-size spare. Judging by the elastic bands on the others he must have to use it regularly.

MY 2014 D4 Indus XS
    MY2006 D3 Zermatt S Manual
  • Flatcoat
    Scotland 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

I was planning to use my 20" Wheels from my old D4 with the 275/45R20 General Grabber AT tyres.

I haven't trial fitted the Wheels yet but pretty confident they will fit the stud pattern and clear the discs.

Rolling Radius isn't the same as the 285/40R22 but close enough for me Very Happy

• bullova06
    United Kingdom 

Can be confusing.

Grianaig wrote:
    Just returned to parking spot this morning find a 03 FFRR parked opposite. Front NS wheel was about 21/22 inches but rear was 18 inches. Looked odd. Fiddling with camera to take pic when driver appeared and drove off. At least when he did a U-turn I could see the offside wheels were also 21|/22 inches. I expect the smaller wheel was the original full-size spare. Judging by the elastic bands on the others he must have to use it regularly.

Even though the actual wheel diameter bring different & obviously the tyre type.
    The actual outside diameter is approximately the same - it could never be exact.
    Side to side it's the axle differentials that manage the revolutions each wheel turns that's connected
    If you see the demo done at a LRE site that shows how a vehicle goes around a bend & all wheels take a different track & roll a different amount.
    A 4WD like we all have has centre differential too, that manages front to back differences - prevent tyre excess wear through scrubbing & provide traction.
    I've never been in the position to mix wheels as I have only one set & always try to swap all tyres at same time.

"time on my hand"
  • Grianaig
    Scotland 

If it was being used as a spare then I suppose it would be no different to using a temporary spare as carried in some cars. Personally I always carry a full size spare. Have done since the days of using 70/80s LRs when slimline spares were not available.

MY 2014 D4 Indus XS
    MY2006 D3 Zermatt S Manual
  • Huxey
    Canada 

Hi guys. A quick update for those interested. I've done a little research and so far the Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 seems to be a good blend of on-road manners with modest off-road capability. And the 275/55R20's are "H" speed rated (210km/hr) which is the closest I can find to the recommended "W" rated (270 hm/hr) recommended by JLR. Most A/T tires are R and S rated, with a scattered T. I believe they will fit the D5.

Cheers

• RyanRC
    United States 

That looks like a really nice choice, looks a little more aggressive then the other choices but not to far over that you looks steetability.

Is interesting as I was just looking through my options as I not that I am in love with the style, but the 21" 9 spoke 'Style 9002' with Diamond Turned finish wheels look at least the least disagreeable to me.

But then when you look at a 21" wheel...boy your offroady type looking tire options really drop off compared to the 20" regardless of the speed rating.

Just looks like no one makes anything in that size at least that is all that much more aggressive then the factory tires.

If I have my info right, the size it should have is a 275/45R21 size tire.

Is funny too as since my other post I stopped off at my local tire place where believe it or not, the manager is still the same guy as when I worked there all those years ago and is a good guy and has been a good friend all these years.

He told me that I could for sure trade in the tires it will come with to get some nice credit to something new, and between what other discounts he would give me I am sure I could get a great deal.

An via just a quick look via that size he mentioned the Pirelli Scorpions, all though just which one we did not get into. But in looking at the ones the web tire stores show, again none look like much of a upgrade...if I am to only work with the 21's.

Plus seems all of them are pretty $$$

So almost seems like my choices are, get the tires I want and that would probably work the best, and will have to look at ugly wheels...get the wheels I like and will have to deal with weak tires.
  • Huxey
    Canada 

Hey RyanRC, what are the roads like in your area? I picked 20" for two reasons: 1) at least a tiny assortment of A/T tires, and 2) potentially smoother ride over crappy roads. I love the look of the 21" satin grey wheels that come with Dynamic. But after taking an hour to more fully investigate tire options, I'm glad I stuck with the 20".

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum