Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Glasgow_man98
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

UK Tyre Law and Speed Ratings

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season 255/55 R20 to Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 255/60 R20.

Thing is the DuraTracs are rated Q 99 mph, while I think my Discovery’s top speed is 121 mph.

According to this link, your tyres should be rated for your cars top speed:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/2...wEk13j6FZw

As anyone ever had any problems insurance wise, regarding having a tyre which has lower rated speed than the cars top speed? The max speed limit in the UK is 70 mph anyway, so I don’t see how this should be a problem, unless you drive on the German Autobahn above 100 mph.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I think it’s a lottery.. In one sense you are correct that you can’t/ shouldn’t be driving anywhere on public roads in the UK at more than 70mph, but if you had an accident that was your fault, I am pretty sure that your insurers would point to you having under spec’d tyres and use this as part of refusing to pay out.

“Off road” tyres in theory should be used for exactly that, off road use.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Did a bit of research on this as had been considering this also. Not sure if it's true but came across a piece that said they used to be rated at 130mph but then dropped to the 100mph Q rating. Apparently, that's the maximum rating an off-road tyre is allowed.

It's the Land Rover recommended tyre in the manual, I feel it should be OK but probably needs to be discussed with insurance company first maybe?

Though I think your also looking to change your tyre size which makes it more unlikely. They do offer the Duratrac in the same size as you have currently.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Of course the bottom line is the insurance. If it’s made clear that the modification is different from the manufacturers factory spec and its itemised in your schedule, great, but if not and you’re in the unfortunate position of someone making a substantial claim off you, expect the insurance company to tell you you’re on your own and none of us can afford a personal liability claim into 6 or 7 figures.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Agreed. Would need to declare it but I’d think as it’s Land Rover’s recommended tyre for this they hopefully wouldn’t mind. I’d of course check before buying them.
  • MAPMA
    England 

I'm not sure it's only the speed rating the insurers can argue on. The Duratracs are off-road tyres, they are categorized as so by their manufacturer, They are Land Rover recommended tyre for that - offroad. They don't even have an EU label as they are exempt for that same reason. I'm pretty sure you'd have a very hard battle (probably an unwinnable one) with your insurance company in case of a claim.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

It’s an interesting one. Goodyear obviously talk up the off road usage but also mention quiet and stable on the road.

Surely even if your plan was mostly off-road, that is still mostly. You’ve got to venture onto the road sometimes and not like you can just keep swapping your tyres out each time you do. Is there any fuel stations in forests to fill up your off-road only discovery or do you need to ferry Jerry cans to it constantly? What about garages for MOT’s or Land Rover dealers for repairs, any on a mountain side? Very Happy

Point is those tyres are designed to also be used on the road. It’s not their primary usage but it’s obvious you’d have to hit some tarmac sometimes. Of course never had this discussion with an insurance company and no doubt they’ll try to wiggle out. Just saying i don’t get how you’d ever be able to use these kind of tyres if you simply cannot insure a vehicle with them on.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum