Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• StinTov
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

No warning for service

I'm 6 months in to owning my D5 and I do love it. A few things that surprise me are that there is no brake wear indicator countdown and the service menu is only available when the car is off, also the oil level check never seems to work.

Any way, a few days ago after 8800 mile the dash said "service required" the day after the warning disappeared, again a few days later it was back again. When I checked the service status it says oil service 0 miles! I'm a bit shocked that there was no prior warning? My MPG has also taken a dive! I called the dealer who can't get me in for two weeks and I have some long miles to do in between. Should I be concerned about warranty issues?

I'm sure everyone will reply stating this is the oil dilution issue, my car has the latest updates so I would have thought that this would have been addressed then?
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

If your dealer can't get you in for two weeks and your vehicle indicates that an oil change is due I would contact LR assist to see what they have to say.
    They sometime have some sway with local dealers so may persuade them to get you in sooner Wink
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Don't worry about the oil service too much. A couple weeks past the "service due" notice won't hurt it.

Also, are you expecting to see a brake wear % indicator? Plenty of vehicles have sensors that trip when the pads wear to a certain point, but I don't know of any that have a sensor that measures brake pad thickness remaining. That would be a neat trick, but usually knowing that 10% of the pad remains is sufficient to plan appropriately with your service department.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

To view the oil level, run the car until the engine is at normal operating temperature.
    Park the car on a level surface and switch off the engine.
    Wait at least 10 minutes....the display will just say "unavailable" if you don't wait long enough
    Turn on the ignition without pressing the brake pedal - so that the engine doesn't start.
    If you've done all of the above, you'll get a correct reading for the oil level.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Mines never warned of a service it just comes up with a Service NOW message ! I looked at mine 3 weeks ago and it had 7K miles on the clock, 350 miles later and it wanted a service.

The next day it had 1,250 miles back on the service schedule, drove 20 miles and I’d lost the lot.

Basically the algorithm is trying to work out what is going on, I recently drove at 90 - 95 for an extended period and my mileage increased on the service level. Chundering about again at normal road speeds and it soon got choked back up again.

Be VERY wary going over the service level indicator ! I’m currently over miles and in dispute over mine, JLR are adamant that IF anything occurs whilst over miles then you are in the lap of the gods, it’s your fault, Baring in mind it’s your fault your driving it wrong AND your gonna have to pay for your oil service you can see how they could hold you responsible, nothing is their fault ! the action is logged and can be viewed so they know when it’s over and will hold you responsible for ignoring it.

It’s difficult as they suggest to book it in advance as you don’t actually know when it’s going to run out of miles, it’s not like your on 2K miles and can guesstimate that some time in 8 weeks it’s gonna require servicing, this thing has a mind of it’s own.

I’m awaiting an investigation to see IF the Oil Dilution was present at the point of sale ! OR if it’s something as JLR suggest has manifested itself over a few thousand miles as I am driving the vehicle outside of that to which it was intended ? I’ve spoken to JLR customer services and LRFS extensively this week, It would appear that Oil Dilution is not something that any one has ever heard of ! I asked them if they thought I’d made it all up ? And requested if I could patent the Oil Dilution problem phase like the chap has done this week after inventing the word BREXIT !

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum