Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Marsie
    United Kingdom 

Is 2.0 ingenium as bad as they say?

I am currently on the hunt for a d5. Have seen several that all have a compromise but been offered a 17plate hse with 80k in montalcino red which is the ideal spec in every way apart from its a 2.0 ingenium. I have had loads of 3.0s (d4s ans sports) and never had an issue. But reading up about the 2.0 is terrifying. I know there are issues with the 3.0 aswell but never had a 2.0
    Are they as bad as people make out and best avoided or is it just a case of only hearing about the bad ones out of thousands of good ones
    Cheers
    Paul
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

My brother-in-law has the 2.0, bought @ circa 12 months old. Engine failed after 2 years of ownership, new engine went in, and within a fortnight that refurb engine failed as well!

My 3.0 litre MY2019 has never missed a beat.

But that's based on a survey of two owners!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Marsie
    United Kingdom 

what's worrying me is the number on ebay/autotrader with new engines. I have only dealt with the 3.0s and could tell you some horror stories about them but the ones I have had and I have probably 6 or 7 now and done probably over 300k miles in them and never had a serious issue

The guy who is selling says it runs perfect (but he would) and is willing to put a 12 month warranty on it Confused

he has offered a decent px price and his car isn't overpriced either but still got the nagging doubt

I could leave this one and buy a 3.0 and have the crank snap in 500 miles
    Maybe I should just forget it and buy a Audi Q7 Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
    Paul
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Or a Volvo.

Seriously, I’ve got a 2lt with a new engine and it behaves perfectly and it wasn’t a hassle with the LR named warranty, which covered it and it’s got a 2 year warranty in anycase.

Thing is those that slag off the 2lt are normally the 3lt owners who have never owned one.

In essence no one knows about individual cars, it’s all a throw of the dice no matter what you buy.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I had 2 x D3’s 2.7 V6’s, and 2 xD4 with 3 ltr V6’s, and never had any engine issues but knew the V6 had a timebomb in the possibility of crank failure with warranty companies don’t seem to want to cover, so I went for the 2ltr in my D5. It performed perfectly up until it didn’t!

It went bang big time at 39k miles, needing a new engine and new turbos. Ok it was all paid for by LR, but they wouldn’t provide any warranty on it as there was no payment made by me for it.

It seemed to run fine, but I did have some restricted performance messages come up after the new engine fitted, and to be honest I lost faith in it, so got rid.

I now have a XC90

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum