Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

D5 underside

Put the D5 on the ramp at Marks work and took a few pictures

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Khauff
    United Kingdom 

Not even a cm of rust in sight Laughing
  • ~Rich~
    Australia 

I like how the exhaust is tucked up much better than the D3/D4.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

So which bits do uncle ray and prospeed need to get cracking designing protection for?

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Its been scanned by Prospeed for tree/rock sliders, roof rack and for front light brackets

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Huxey
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Do you think the roof rack integrate with the factory roof rails? I'm hoping that's the way it will be.

UPDATE: A quick perusal of website confirms that the applications typically work using existing LR roof rails. Also noticed their D4 tire of choice is the same type I'm trying to put on mine. BFG KO2.

HSE Lux TD6 Carpathian Grey, 20" Black Pack + loaded with options.
    Previously: 2011 BMW X5 MSport 35i Carbon Black
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

No it will not use the LR roof rails, it will be using their own as it sits lower

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

1 up on the light brackets. I gather you need them for the front grill rather than the roof rack?? Am looking for an A bar for the front but the sensors and camera will get obstructed so looks like brackets for extra candlepower Thumbs Up
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

I don't think i will put spots on mine or a light bar as the light are that good already

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    1 up on the light brackets. I gather you need them for the front grill rather than the roof rack?? Am looking for an A bar for the front but the sensors and camera will get obstructed so looks like brackets for extra candlepower Thumbs Up

Not even had a chance to drive it in the dark yet.

I did drive the courtesy DS in the dark and the lights were quite good. Took a bit of getting used too the auto high beam and auto dipping feature though Laughing
  • RyanRC
    United States 

Hello all

Please forgive my ignorance as I have never owned a Land Rover vehicle before, but the one thing about the D5 that I really have concerns about for the world of Off Roading and even for others is that spare tire.

I guess to some degree its better to have something there you can remove and replace easily and certainly is better then having a gas tank back there or something else just as important.

But for me the two points I just see the potential for issues would be for the first of say backing up over something you didn't see and then hitting that rim. Which I'm thinking if its hard enough could damage the rim and or tire which then kinda leaves you out in the field with no spare.

The second thought is how it and mainly too all the mechanisms that allow you to get the spare down will just get all filled with crude and/or also snow and all the snow melting stuff the roads could have, and then be just a mess if you ever need to get it out.

For sure the last thing I would really want to have to do every time is after even just getting into a little muck to have to pull the whole spare down and clean everything out.

Anyway, don't mean to sound all bashy about this as I know it has to go someplace, but in getting back more to my ignorance part I was just wondering if via other LR's that may have the same thing, has anyone regularly come up with a skid plate to cover that or even at least perhaps put some kind of a fabric spare tire cover over it to try to keep out the snow and the dirt?

Note, I have seen the cover that someone makes to keep it from getting stolen, but am looking for protection more for the scenarios I was describing.

Thanks
  • Gareth
    United Kingdom 

The spare is in the same location as it always has been on the D3/4. It was always flagged up as you say, as a potential issue when off road. The manual does (on my D4 anyway) recommend that the spare is removed and placed in the boot if you know your going to go off road in a situation that might make it difficult to access.

There were many solutions for the 3 and 4. There are swing away wheel carriers available that mount the wheel similar to the older D1/2 vehicles. No doubt an aftermarket version might appear for the 5? Although there appears to be a lack of structure to mount it to.

I and others also used to sling the wheel on a roof rack, although that's heavy work.

The other issue, especially if you have dog cage fitted, is that on the D3/4 you have to lift the 3rd row seats to access the winch. This is a real pain in the arse!

Of course RLD (aka Uncle Ray) makes a very good theft protection plate, which is a must if have a full size spare. It's only a matter of time before the scum with the bolt cutters swipe your expensive spare if you leave it unprotected.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Undersealing - Any Thoughts !!!

Any thoughts if anyone is going too underseal or wax oil their D5, especially if the car will be in the sea (when towing a boat trailer) etc.

I am fully aware its an all aluminium monocoque chassis, but there are still other bits which are not aluminium, and possibly need protected.

My D2 chassis corroded away, but luckily managed too save it with a bit of welding, but the D3 and D4 were both protected, too prevent the same thing happening too them.

Just a shame LR never went the extra mile and under sealed the cars properly before leaving the factory Sad
  • RyanRC
    United States 

Gareth wrote:
    Of course RLD (aka Uncle Ray) makes a very good theft protection plate, which is a must if have a full size spare. It's only a matter of time before the scum with the bolt cutters swipe your expensive spare if you leave it unprotected.
    Thanks for the info Gareth.

Yeah the Uncle Ray thing is what I think I was referring to when I mentioned the cover to prevent the tire from getting stolen.

In looking at it, to some degree it looks like it might help keep at least some of the average muck out of things, so if thats all there is and the best that could be done I might have to get one.

Btw just to mention, I have had a Zr2 Blazer that I bought new in 2002 that has a swing away spare and so I well know what one is like to have in both for its pluses and minus and all in all I don't think I would want to be dealing with one of those again.

For my Blazer it fits, but for this D5 it would just ruin the vehicle in all manor of ways.
  • RyanRC
    United States 

Re: Undersealing - Any Thoughts !!!

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Any thoughts if anyone is going too underseal or wax oil their D5, especially if the car will be in the sea (when towing a boat trailer) etc.

I am fully aware its an all aluminium monocoque chassis, but there are still other bits which are not aluminium, and possibly need protected.

My D2 chassis corroded away, but luckily managed too save it with a bit of welding, but the D3 and D4 were both protected, too prevent the same thing happening too them.

Just a shame LR never went the extra mile and under sealed the cars properly before leaving the factory Sad
    Its funny how back in the day when undercoating first came out everyone thought it was a great idea and people just gobbed the crap out of the undersides of their cars and trucks with that stuff, and then the manufactures followed with the same, but then 10 years later learned that rotted out things even more as one way or another stuff got behind that stuff and since it then held it in instead of letting things drain, everything just rotted.

I really can't say as to what the products they have today would be for that, but it does seem like none of the manufactures do that any more.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum