↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Brexit?37 Votes
    No-deal 37%/14
    May’s Deal 10%/4
    Remain 51%/19
  • CHG
    United Kingdom 

This has to be asked now........?

Purely from a Discovery 5 point of view, bearing in mind the extra costs and potential tariffs that could apply, and knowing what we all now know about the subject........
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Sorry, I'm not allowed to vote. And even when I lived in the UK, only in the local elections.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Where's the procrastinate, dither, argue and be entirely useless option?

That seems to be Parliaments preferred plan. Rolling with laughter

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

No matter what side of the fence you are, it’s the Politicians that have screwed up. A more totally useless lot of oxygen thieves I’ve yet to come across.

Being a MP isn’t a badge of honour, it’s an affliction of self indulgent, self serving behaviour at a pigs trough.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Remain. Please.

What I really want is another public vote to have some more democracy and check ‘the will of the people’. If the majority still want to leave then so be it.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Jim4244

We had a public vote and the will of the people was to leave.

It’s called democracy.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

We had a public vote based on fictional information from all sides. Now we have reality (which is everyone has decided they can't decide what they want)

Lets a) impliment a law that says everyone has to vote, a bit like Australia does, or you'll be fined and b) have a proper vote on whatever real information we now have rather than the fiction we had in 2016. c) find a suitable part of the world to emigrate to....

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Equilibrium wrote:
    Remain. Please.

What I really want is another public vote to have some more democracy and check ‘the will of the people’. If the majority still want to leave then so be it.

Would it be best out of three or five if remain won?

Hse Lux SDV6
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

JonM wrote:
    Where's the procrastinate, dither, argue and be entirely useless option?

That seems to be Parliaments preferred plan. Rolling with laughter

All of those were voted into Government as MP's.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 

Well even those not in the Government were elected on a Manifesto and whether you are Conservative or Labour you'd have to agree that most of them have lied to the electorate.

Hse Lux SDV6
  • CHG
    United Kingdom 

Agreed, this is now such a mess that who knows what’s going to happen. But personally I’m damned if I am going to pay any extra tariffs on what is already an overpriced vehicle. My fear is that sales of the D5 will evaporate still further in the UK.

How the tables have turned. A short while back you couldn’t get a D5 at a sensible price in some other countries such as the Republic of Ireland, but now, since the production move to Slovakia, prices have dropped there, the Commercial which is now the same as the UK variant, is under €50k. It was over €60k last year.

So the rest of Europe is getting their D5’s cheaper whilst we in the UK could be forced, against our will, to pay a hefty additional premium for our favourite vehicle.

Not good.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

As an outsider, I have to agree with mordred1973. Here in Luxembourg, voting is not exactly compulsory, but you have to at least go to the booth. If you don't want to vote, then you simply hand in a blank voting ballot, but at least you were there.

My personal opinion is that the UK should have a second referendum, and should make the vote obligatory. I know that this goes against the standard way of doing things in the UK, but is would ensure that the result is the true feeling of the UK population.

If I remember correctly, at the referendum in 2016 only approximately 70% of the population turned out to vote (please correct me if my figure is wrong). I agree that the vote was to leave, but what would have happened if that missing 30% had all voted to remain?

So long as the WHOLE of the UK has not voted, there will ALWAYS be questions where people with say "what if...", and that will cause dissent and you will go round in circles.

If I have upset anyone with this post, please accept my apologies. I am a total outsider here, and am just giving an opinion, but my opinion is not necessarily correct, so please don't take offense at what I have written.
  • CHG
    United Kingdom 

And why can’t they go for this instead........

Quoted from the Channel Islands Brussels Office:
    “The formal relationship between the Channel Islands and the EU is enshrined in Protocol 3 of the UK’s 1972 Accession Treaty, and confirmed in what is now Article 355 (5) (c) of the EU Treaties. Under Protocol 3, the Islands are part of the Customs Union and are essentially within the Single Market for the purposes of trade in goods, but are third countries (i.e. outside the EU) in all other respects. However, the Channel Islands have a close relationship with the EU in many different fields, not simply those covered by the formal relationship under Protocol 3. Both Jersey and Guernsey voluntarily implement appropriate EU legislation or apply the international standards on which they are based.”

Sounds a perfect alternative????
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 

If I have upset anyone with this post, please accept my apologies. I am a total outsider here, and am just giving an opinion, but my opinion is not necessarily correct, so please don't take offense at what I have written.[/quote]...

........I’m not at all upset with your comment but frustrated with the way that things get reported around the world by left leaning media and are actually corrupted to the point that people believe what they are told without challenge. Perhaps Jussie Smollett is innocent and President Trump did pee all over the Russian call girl to influence the Cremlin into supporting his nomination.

We all do things differently around the world but without knowing the way things worked in detail in Luxembourg I’d be daft to try and tell you how to do things where you live, even if I had a true belief that I was smarter than you are and I honestly believed that you were not in possession of the full facts when you made the decision that you took. However, the fact is that the UK does democracy pretty well and in my honest beief the people had a fairly good idea of what they voted for 3 years ago.

The problem is that our betters ( and I know several personally and please accept that they are no better than most of us here) believe that they know better and despite more than 80% signing up to a manefesto promising to implement the referendum result they have done the Liberal left proud and have attempted to perform a three card trick upon the electorate.

If you need proof of this just look at the misnomer which is named the people’s vote, or more correctly named the sore losers vote, or the best out of three vote. Even here we are likely to have a majority (come next week) of a combined Custom Union (Never ever a leavers choice) together with a confirmatory national vote ( Never, ever, ever a Leavers choice) And to make matter worse they want the only alternative to be a position of Remain. Given the alternative, 80% of those who voted leave would back remain and a hundred percent of remainders. So please tell me what on earth is the point of democracy when the PEOPLE vote one way and those speaking on their behalf, having been elected two years ago on a promise of respecting the wishes of the referendum vote with the losers.

Big Cry

Last edited by BlackDog on 30th Mar 2019 12:20 am. Edited 1 time in total

Hse Lux SDV6
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 

CHG wrote:
    And why can’t they go for this instead........

Quoted from the Channel Islands Brussels Office:
    “The formal relationship between the Channel Islands and the EU is enshrined in Protocol 3 of the UK’s 1972 Accession Treaty, and confirmed in what is now Article 355 (5) (c) of the EU Treaties. Under Protocol 3, the Islands are part of the Customs Union and are essentially within the Single Market for the purposes of trade in goods, but are third countries (i.e. outside the EU) in all other respects. However, the Channel Islands have a close relationship with the EU in many different fields, not simply those covered by the formal relationship under Protocol 3. Both Jersey and Guernsey voluntarily implement appropriate EU legislation or apply the international standards on which they are based.”

Sounds a perfect alternative????

They don’t have a land border between the EU and Northern Ireland

Hse Lux SDV6
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum