Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Rikster23
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

My new HSE Luxury SDV6

Hello everyone...

Well, after a loooong wait, I picked up my Disco a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying it ever since.

The delivery was delayed for a couple of weeks, during which I was in a loan car, an HSE with the 2.0 Diesel Ingenium engine and, I have to say, I was very impressed with it. The power was much more evident than I had expected, although I did notice that you had to put your foot a lot further down to access it than I was used to. Consequently for the first couple of days I was driving along thinking "this is a bit gutless" so decided to just floor it... and then it all came on! Not sure it helped the fuel economy, but it could shift.

But, when I got the SDV6, it was a different story, the smoothness of delivery, the near silence of the engine... it is truly beautiful. And the overall feel of the car is just perfect, honestly, I don't think I have ever enjoyed a family car as much.

The seats are so comfortable and I love the way the drivers seat sinks down when you switch off to make it easier to get in and out and then rises back up when you restart the car.

I have CarPlay and it works fine and the whole ICTP set up seems really great, although it does take about 30 seconds to become fully active, which seems unnecessarily long. But I've had no problems with it once it has started.

The digital dash is superb, really great. Having the map in the middle of the two dials is my favourite set up and it means I pretty much never use the central display when driving along. I chose not to go with the HUD and I can't say I regret that. Had it on a previous car and whilst it was fine, I can't say I found it was that necessary.

The adaptive cruise with lane keep assist is brilliant! I had an XC90 with Autopilot (or whatever it was called) and this system is so much better. It is so cool feeling it constantly adjusting beneath your hands.

I also went for the deployable side steps... probably the coolest thing about the car. I have young kids and side steps were a necessity but once I saw the deployable ones on a FFRR in the showroom, I knew I had to have them.

So far I'm averaging about 33 MPG, which seems pretty reasonable.

I love the way it looks... the cores grey with dynamic pack and black roof, in my opinion, looks incredible... just seems to really suit the car.

The dealer was great, all the way through the process, even though I squeezed them pretty hard for a healthy discount (thank you CarWOW!). Great communications, great handover and really good follow up. They even remembered when I ordered it I asked for a smaller number plate on the back! And they made up a second one for the towbar mounted (I went for the deployable one) bike rack!

Went with the 20in wheels rather than the 21 and don't regret that, the ride is silky and I think they look good on it.

Also went for the Adaptive Dynamics which the loan car didn't have and wow, can't believe the difference it makes. On the straight the car is comfy, smooth and soft, but in the corners it just doesn't roll, its quite remarkable.

So, in short, I couldn't be happier, I even quite like the rear, especially with the smaller number plate.

Cheers

Rik

MY2019 HSE Luxury 3.0 SDV6 - Corris grey, Dynamic Pack, Black contrast roof, Adaptive Dynamics, Electric Tow Pack
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 

Nice car. Enjoy Thumbs Up

Hse Lux SDV6
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

That looks, and sounds to be, awesome. It makes me even more eager to get mine (months away!).

I've got HUD on my order, but thinking of dropping it and upping the budget to get deployable steps...plenty of time to decide as mine won't go into production for ages. I have HUD on my BMW and worry about losing it, but in a SUV with a digital dash and hugely improved visibility, I wonder if I am wasting my money, especially when it has adaptive cruise linked to speed cameras as something that could be used.

Thanks for writing up your thoughts on the adaptive dynamics. I've ticked this box too and keen to experience it when my car comes.

My experience in a D5 is a SDV6 in SE form for 48 hours. I loved it, an incredible vehicle as you are saying.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 

Two very short pieces of advice from someone who had both options and no disrespect intended to anyone in advance.

Deployable side steps look very swanky but they offer no protection in car parks whatsoever. Good quality none OEM fixed ones do. Furthermore they cost approx 10-15% of the deployable ones. The other thing is that with the introduction of LR updates that mean the car drops down by 40mm to aid getting in and out they are now not required for anyone but children or small adults. I always fitted them previously and have had both styles but the last three Land Rovers I've owned, two Full fats and this Disco all had the lowering option, so my 5ft 4" wife and my 5ft 6" 91 year old father in law have no problems.

Second point is on the HUD. I've had this on two recent Land Rovers and the one on the Disco is worth the money. In fact it's an optional item that I will always now add to future cars. And if you really need side steps and you buy a set of fixed and the HUD you'll still be £1500+ better off. Incidentally, when I part exchanged the full fat I had with the deployable side steps I got offered £0 extra for them but that said it's the same with most options. Thumbs Up

Hse Lux SDV6
  • Rikster23
    United Kingdom 

Hi blackdog,

No offence taken Smile

Each to their own I guess. To be honest I didn’t even consider car park protection when specifiying the sidesteps as it’s never really been a problem. The main reason for going for the deplyoable ones was the coolness of having them slide out and slide back in again... and they really are cool Smile

But yeah, as with all options, tick the box cos you want them, not cos you want to make some money back!

I’d get them again though... and even though the car does lower when parked, which is handy, even I find side steps helpful when getting in... and for my 3 and 6 year old, they are an absolute necessity.

Cheers

Rik

MY2019 HSE Luxury 3.0 SDV6 - Corris grey, Dynamic Pack, Black contrast roof, Adaptive Dynamics, Electric Tow Pack
  • Labbix

Thanks for your sharing your experience as I too was doubting a bit between fixed and deployable ss. The deployable are of course more vulnerable to failure or even breaking of the brackets than the fixed ones and my dealer added to the negatives that some of his female clients complained/had troubles with their high heels getting behind/stuck to them... Although it looks nice and doesn’t affect the off road ability as much as the fixed ones, it’s easier to get to the roof and yes the kids will definitely say it’s an awesome feature and even the neighbors ones on his 15 year old FFRR still seem working fine, but I will stay with the fixed ones and have HUD as a bonus indeed Wink
  • Labbix

Rikster, your car does look fantastic and already looking forward to have a D5 with adaptive dynamics myself !
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the thoughts Blackdog. I’ve been thinking about fixed steps and the need for steps at all, too. Ours is a family car, daughter is two today and our second one will join the family after the D5 - today was the 12 wk scan! I have a feeling steps may be useful - but this is my first SUV so coming from a position of zero experience.

HUD - I love it on my 440i with standard dash. On a 4-series, you are peering through a windscreen and quite low relative to many cars. Having the speed limit and speed in the eyeline is brilliant and I recommend it to everyone. Which is why I originally had it as must have on the disco.

I must admit I quite like the idea of quality aftermarket steps and keep the HUD!

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Rikster23
    United Kingdom 

Congratulations on the soon to be new arrival!

To be honest, whatever options you go for, you're buying a great car!

• Labbix

Out of personal experience with twins 3 years old and a 5 year old: take the sidesteps! On our Audi the sideboard came loose as the kids always stepped on it, apparently it is just hold together with some clips, cheap to replace, but not what you want. On the D5 they always use it, both to get in and out. Don’t see them getting in easily without... I’m not the shortest myself (185cm) and I even use them, almost all the time.
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Equilibrium wrote:
    I must admit I quite like the idea of quality aftermarket steps and keep the HUD!

I got OEM style fixed sidesteps from Direct 4x4 for about £200 and fitted them myself. Others have done the same from Sidesteps.co.uk. I think they both have a fitting service if you can get to them. As the holes in the car a pre-made and tapped, it's not too hard. Gives you £1k back to your options splurge.

Andrew
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Rikster23 wrote:
    Congratulations on the soon to be new arrival!

To be honest, whatever options you go for, you're buying a great car!

Thanks for the congratulations, Rikster.

I agree with your last sentence. One of the things that I really liked about having a SE for an extended test drive (and no disrespect intended to that model), I was not being wowed by fancy features or luxury finishes. It was just a bloody fantastic, serenely comfortable, immensely cosseting, practical car. Easy to say in the excitement of just having made an order, but I can't conceive of a much better vehicle for family life.

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Labbix wrote:
    Out of personal experience with twins 3 years old and a 5 year old: take the sidesteps! On our Audi the sideboard came loose as the kids always stepped on it, apparently it is just hold together with some clips, cheap to replace, but not what you want. On the D5 they always use it, both to get in and out. Don’t see them getting in easily without... I’m not the shortest myself (185cm) and I even use them, almost all the time.

Thanks Labbix, the salesman did say how great kids will find the sidesteps. I think that makes them essential.

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

chaos_theory wrote:
    Equilibrium wrote:

I got OEM style fixed sidesteps from Direct 4x4 for about £200 and fitted them myself. Others have done the same from Sidesteps.co.uk. I think they both have a fitting service if you can get to them. As the holes in the car a pre-made and tapped, it's not too hard. Gives you £1k back to your options splurge.

These look brilliant C_T and the sidesteps.co.uk ones look good as well. I think that's going to be the way to go, seems a very good and simple saving. I guess the only drawback of fixed steps is potential for getting dirty getting in if you don't step on them.

Rikster, sorry for derailing your my car thread a little! I keep looking at those pictures, it just looks spot on. Enjoy that new car feeling wafting around in your D5!

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Lovely looking motor! Really really super...

No side steps on mine... I'm a harsh father, and make the 3 & 5 yo climb in! To be fair they managed it in the D4 before it, and that didn't auto-lower, so the D5 is less of a challenge!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum