Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• TheJR
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Which Diesel Engine to Buy?

Morning all. Some opinions if you please?

Very close to proceeding with the purchase of a July 2018 HSE 3.0 TDV6 having spent two entirely fault free years with BMW after consecutive RRS's.

Alas for BMW they do not have a new X5 order because they think they are being terribly clever with their combinations of wheel sizes and run-flat tyres that would force me into spending an additional £3k on compatible winter wheels and tyres. The accessories target basically cost them the sale!

As for the Disco I'm desperately hoping that I'll not have to repeat the phrase "I love it, but..." if I do go back to Landrover and there is the option of the much admired XC90 looming out of the corner of my eye.

Heart will likely rule head but one factor that favours the XC90 is fuel consumption. This makes me wonder if I should actually consider the SD4 engine. Having scoured the web for 'real MPG' figures I find some suggestion that the SD4 is at best little better than the TDV6 and in some reports slightly worse.

I can't find a thread on here that is specific to this question but please do point me in the direction if there is one or please let me know your thoughts and/or experiences?
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Welcome The JR

I guess there are those with a TD6/SDV6 that swear by the V6, and those with a SD4 that are just as happy. If you were to put some noise cancelling headphones on during your test drive you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference. Unless you really want a V6 or tow a lot, I think you'd be just as happy with the SD4.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I went for the 2Ltr (2018 model) not for its economy but more for the fact that pre 2019 3Ltr V6's (256Bhp models) were suffering from oil dilution issues at the time (possibly fixed with SW updates now), and apparently the 2019 3Lts (306Bhp) dont suffer from it.

The V6 mpg from what I am told is considerably better than it was in the D4 (which I had previously) which very occasionaly would get into the 30's but most of the time was in the 20's.

This is what my D5 is looking like (but the tripcomp still over reads by about 2.5MPG so in reality this is just under 40 mpg):

I think the 3Ltr get close to this as well

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

My 2017 Td6 had the oil dilution issue until and update in jan 2019 at 12600 miles. It appears not to have the issue now.

Fuel economy if any vehicle weighing 2.4 tonnes will depends very much on type of driving. Around town its hardly economical, mid 20s. In a daily use...30-32 and long run 37-38.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • TheJR
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Thanks folks,

What also influences me is that I've not had an engine of less than 3 litres since 2007. There would also be the occasional towing done. I've read all about the oil dilution issue and the dealer tells me this is a MY19 and should be fine car, although it was registered 31/7/18. I'm not so sure that could that be accurate and how could I check?

The car was the dealers General Managers car and is well specced with about £4-5k worth of extras beyond the HSE spec and the 5 year service plan which at least removes the cost of oil and adblue. Hassle apart would I be right to be less concerned about the dilution issue? I do about 15k miles pa of mixed driving.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

OK, I thought the MY19 cars only came out around Oct 18. If its 256BHP its not a MY 19 car (you can tell also from the dash and the steering wheel controls as these changed for MY19 cars)

I also tow a 1800Kg caravan and have had V6's since 2005 (2 2.7 D3's and 2 3Ltr D4's). When you consider we all thought the 2.7 D3 was a great tow car with 198BHP and 440Nm of torque, the 2Ltr D5 has 240BHP and 500Nm of torque - OK the V6 has more but the 2Ltr is very good - I'm impressed with mine so far.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

I believe if it is baged SD6 it will be a 2019 MY if it is badged TD6 it will be a 2018. (SD6 being twin turbo 306ps TD6 being single turbo 256ps)

The only issue with the SD4 is that for MY19, the torque was sigificantly reduced from 500mn to 430mn.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Labbix

TheJR

You can easily verify the year: look at the tenth digit of the VIN-number being the letter "L" for 20MY, K stands for the current 19MY and "J" for 18MY.
  • Notxal
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Last night’s short journey in my SD4 on country lanes

[/img]
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

you have a much lighter right foot than I do lol

• jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I can beat that!! 2017 3 litre ( oil dilution fixed! )

• LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

In my humble opinion if you tow a lot and have the option I'd go for the V6- TD6^ or even better the SDV6 not for no reason the Highway Agency have opted for the V6....

Some will have differing opinions and fair enough but you asked... Laughing

Ive towed heavy kit with both and the V6 is just so much smoother and had more grunt when where its needed.

If your not towing and just pootle about then I'm sure the 2L is more than ample.

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

We here in 'Murica can't get the 2.0L diesel or the 3.0 SDV6 (yet) - so my experience is only with the 3.0 TDV6, which I know is no longer available there as a new purchase. I'll say I can't imagine an SUV as big and as capable as the Disco being enjoyable with anything less than a six cylinder of any fuel type, not to mention my own perceived lack of durability inherent in a 4cyl engine running at the edge of its design envelope.

I will say that while 254hp / 447lb-ft in the TDV6 is sufficient, I would prefer 300hp / 500lb-ft just for a little better passing performance at highway speeds. Off-road it's already a beast.

My oil dilution non-issue has also been apparently resolved. Still guzzles the DEF however, but my Touareg did too.
  • Labbix

If you are thinking Volvo, I always used this site for info: https://forums.swedespeed.com/#/

But as I prefer a 6 cylinder instead of a 4 cylinder in a heavy car, I didn’t go Volvo this time.

But whatever you choose, they all have their issues, but still they are all nice to drive Wink
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

al cope wrote:
    ...in reality this is just under 40 mpg):

I think the 3Ltr get close to this as well

Really? Shocked Not with me driving it doesn't. Are you only going downhill?

Andrew
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum