Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• delse
    New Zealand 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Firenze Red

D5 Roof Rack

Hi, first time on here, a quick question. I am building an aluminium roof rack to fit my D5 MY2017 . I'm anticipating it being around 60Kg all up as its build from 3mm aluminium. On it will be a ARB Simpson 111 roof top tent (80kg) and me (100kg)(in the tent) plus a few minor bits and bobs.

So, my question is.... Does anyone know if the D5 roof will support that total weight OK or do I need to go on a diet !!

I'm proposing to mount the roof rack using the existing roof rail mounting holes by having 1 inch diameter stand offs with M8 bolts passing through them, so there should be 12 of these stand off supporting the total weight.

Thanks
    Dave
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Quote:
    Roof Rails
    Maximum payload 80kg

Roof carrying load increased from 80kg to 100kg when SD6 selected with Adaptive Dynamic

From the brochure. Presumably these limits are for the dynamic performance when driving. Don't know what a safe structural limit for parked up overnight would be.
  • delse
    New Zealand 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Roof rack finished up about 30Kg. Guess I'll try it all and see how we go. The total weight while driving is gonna be around 120Kg so not too far over the top.
    thanks, Dave
  • beanoir
    United Kingdom 

Your roof will take far more static weight on the roof bars than 250kg. If it didn’t, I’d hate to be in one that ended up on its roof in an accident..

Roof carrying loads are dynamic loads, not static. Most manufacturers don’t provide static load data, but generally it’ll be way more than you’re likely to put on it when only parked up. Rules of thumb can be anywhere from 3x to 10x dynamic load, so not much help but assume the lowest and you’ll still be fine.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum