Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Agency sales

So how many potential purchasers are happy about the new way to buy JLR products. The thing that will need getting used to . JLR dictate the price with no room for negotiation. The dealers as we know them are just facilitators and repair centres. They will not even be involved with trade ins.
    Im not sure how many may jump ship with JLR as theyre business models will have been compromised after investing large amounts
  • WmDisco
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 SE Silicon Silver

Where have you picked this up from?
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Been mentioned several times recently . https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/al...024/284971
  • WmDisco
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 SE Silicon Silver

Thanks - I missed this.

This might be controversial: Can't be many jobs easier than car sales. Someone walks into a car showroom - so they are already indicating a potential interest in the product. I have been to car and motorcycle dealerships where sales people cannot be bothered - too busy running around with clip boards.
    If I take my car for a service or MOT the garage knows I am coming - so why don't they get the sales person who sold me the car to make sure he/she pops in to ask how I am, how the vehicle is going, am I interested in seeing the latest product etc. They also ask stupid questions like - how much do you want to pay? My answer is "as little as possible". Then its - how much are you after for your part- ex? That answer is "as much as possible" or I just give them a stupid figure.
    So - I may not be too bothered by the new approach
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Buying a car is a not just about the price. It’s about reliability and accountability.

It’s my observation that dealers already have little room to manoeuvre when it comes to actioning warranty repairs. Everything has to be pre-authorised by a pedantic, evasive and intransigent JLR.

I can envisage dealerships becoming even more demotivated than they already are and the whole repairs/servicing sector withering on the vine.

This will be my last JLR product.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Have to put up with the cant be bothered attitude to much in my day job . I think the whole covid and shortages issues have made them care less. A combine harvester nowadays can in some cases take you to a million or just north . If you ring your local dealer they may take 2/3 weeks to get back to you and you are tied because no other dealer is allowed to sell outside their geographical area. The only competition is between brands.
    I also noticed in another article about JLRs 'new vision' they will only be producing cars to order so the days of stock cars will be gone forever. This also said the number of dealers or whatever they will be called will be reduced! In some cases they actually envisage the centres being JLR owned.
  • gavsta

Direct to market Tesla is a good example. As a manufacturer, Tesla has the clout to be dynamic with their pricing, which drives the entire EV market.

The agency model works for brands which are in demand. Perhaps that may work for JLR at the higher end, with models such as RR and RRS. My thinking is that brand/models must be in demand, as customers want to feel like they are getting some type of deal or goodwill.

Other in-demand manufacturers, who do not discount, look after their customers. Ferrari, for example, include 7 years servicing with new cars.

For models lower down the price scale, there is huge competition in those sectors. I suspect pricing is key, and a dealer discount will often sway a decision. Unless JLR reduces prices, I fear they may lose sales. It's likely I would have looked elsewhere without the 8%-9% dealer discount on my Metropolitan.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Is this just for the UK or is it worldwide?

Personally, I don’t think it will make too much difference.

Here on the continent, the dealers form “cooperatives” that buy the “expected” spec vehicles from JLR and then keep these in a central stock that all the members of the cooperative have access to.

This way, the have access to a shared stock and don’t have to reply JUST on the cars being ordered individually.

My wife’s e-pace was in “central stock” in Belgium when we bought it. It just had to be moved to Luxembourg.

This also doesn’t stop the dealers being so crap, and it just gives them another excuse to increase their hourly rates even further!!
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

Not sure it's the right move for customers.

Dealers get reduced to just prepping new cars and then fixing them. Seems like the worst of all worlds.

When it goes wrong, your contract is no longer with an entity you can go and see. Are we supposed to drive to Gaydon to speak to someone we have a contract with when the inevitable happens?

Loan cars will be even harder to get, why would a dealer bother?

Currently by law, a duff car is the dealers problem because that is who you bought it from.

JLR should stick to improving build quality, and getting someone who understands logistics.

Tesla's time is numbered. They may have the best EV under-pinnings and charging network but the design is awful. Now established brands are eating into their sales, they say it's too expensive to have RHD versions of the model S & X, so we only get the 3 and Y which have no instrument cluster. If they can't justify RHD versions then I don't have much expectation of new models. IF they were smart they'd do a deal with Ford and have 'Powered by Tesla...'
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum