Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Aftermarket windscreen wiper suggestions wanted

One of my wipers broke an end bit yesterday when i was trying to chip away half an inch of ice that had accumulated overnight. The joys of rain when it's -3...comes down as water but then freezes immediately on contact with anything.

I have been having issues with my wipers leaving big parts not wiped. Even though i take time to clear them of any debris, ice, snow etc before setting off.
    So i went to a different dealer than where i got my D5 (you can see my rant about them elsewhere on this site). I was hoping to get better service here, Decarie Motors, but after trying to get a simple thing like wipers, i've changed my mind. I will save you most of my visit there and stay on point...wipers !

They do not carry wipers for the D5...wait for it...because it's a new model !!!???!!!
    It took the guy 3 minutes of typing to tell me he had to order them. And whilst he was typing i asked if they had winter wipers. His reply was "no", looks at me with a smile and says, "they don't work in the winter and they don't work in the summer". Not much of a salesman, maybe that's why he works in the basement of a dealership.

SO, my question is (finally), has anyone purchased aftermarket windscreen (windshield) wipers ?
    Any recommendations ? Doesn't seem to be much out there that will fit the attachment on the D5 wiper arms.

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Yep wished I had moved my LR3 out into the cold must have spent half an hour this morning deicing.

this firm may be able to help: Rain X product

https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-...windshield

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

I think Rain-X are the only one that make a wiper for the D5, or that's all i've found up to now anyway.
    Home Depot have them in stock so i might just go there during lunch.
    Seems a weird place to buy car parts but that's where they sell them, so...

• Blackfly
    Canada 

be interested to know if they are available and how good they are are

• ForlornMTL
    Canada 

Luckily i measured them as the online configurator from that link and even the Rain-x website says 22" and 20" but i measured 24" and 20".

• ForlornMTL
    Canada 

Well, the Rain-X Latitude don't fit onto the arm. Their website says it does, but it also gives the wrong length. No surprise there then.

So the search continues...

Getting JLR wipers would be an option if they lasted more than 3 months. And if they actually kept them in stock at the dealership.

• max099
    Austria 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I recommend Bosch Aerotwin.
    AR606S should be the right blades for the D5 - it's the right one for the FFRR / Range Sport.

I changed the wipers of all of our cars to Bosch Aerotwins. Love them, best wipers I ever had and they are really long-lasting. Thumbs Up

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

max099 wrote:
    I recommend Bosch Aerotwin.
    AR606S should be the right blades for the D5 - it's the right one for the FFRR / Range Sport.

I changed the wipers of all of our cars to Bosch Aerotwins. Love them, best wipers I ever had and they are really long-lasting. Thumbs Up

Thanks for the tip. But they do not fit the D5.
    According to the Bosch website, no product fits the D5.
    https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto

I used Bosch Icon on my BMW and they were fairly good. The problem Blackfly and i have is the -25c we get, mixed with ice building up on the wipers and they get damaged from trying to free them from the ice and wiping away a mix of slushy snow with road dirt etc, on top of usual wear.

I have a feeling JLR may have changed the wiper arm connection for something new on the D5 that's not used by anyone else but them. Probably why the dealership didn't have any in stock, they probably thought it was the same old wipers they could sell.

• Blackfly
    Canada 

One thing I have not tried is putting the wipers into winter park position. I did try it once but the blades did not appear to want to return to the normal position at speeds over 8mph. It may be I did not do the selection operation properly. The winter park position puts the blades away from the trench at the top of the bonnet which accumulates snow, ice and leaves (not not al at the same time! Smile this means the wipers are in the zone that gets defrosted first.

Any way the the book says

WINTER PARK POSITION

CAUTION
    Make sure that the wiper arms are in the winter park position before lifting the wiper blades away from the windshield. Failure to do so, may result in damage to the hood.

When the vehicle is parked, the wipers can be set to park in a higher position than normal. The wiper blades can be lifted from the windshield to limit the effects of freezing to the glass. Lifting the wiper blades from the windshield aids the removal of snow, mud, and leaves, etc. The wiper's winter park position can be enabled or disabled via the Vehicle Settings menu in the instrument panel. See INSTRUMENT PANEL MENU.

The wipers move to the winter park position when the ignition is switched off. The wipers remain in the winter park position until one of the following occurs:

The vehicle’s speed is above 8 km/h (5 mph).

The wipers are operated.

• ForlornMTL
    Canada 

I have had the wipers in winter position for a month now.
    They never move back to the original (non winter) position. Ever.
    Apart from when in function, then they do go all the way down to do a complete wiper cycle. But then swiftly return to winter position, even in intermittent mode they will go to winter position in between cycles.
    Even when doing 120 km/h they still remain in winter position.

As far as i know there is only one box to tick so i don't think it's an operation selection issue. Most probably a programming issue.
    Of all the programming issues i have, that is at the bottom of my list. Not an extensive list but there's always a new minor thing that pops up once in a while.

• Blackfly
    Canada 

Good to know, I will try to remember to mention it when I go for a service, I am estimating June July time so I will have put winter way behind me by then Smile

• ForlornMTL
    Canada 

From my deeper online searching it would seem the JLR wipers that fit the D5 only fit the 2017 D5, 2017 RR and 2017 RRS.
    One would assume it fits the 2018's too.

The wiper arm attachment is a 19mm Push Button FZ Arm Attachment

Rain-X claim it's a PTB Arm Attachment. Hence why it does not fit.

• max099
    Austria 

According to various sources on the net, the three LR models L405 (FFRR), L494 (RRS) and L462 (D5) all use the same wipers (like many, many other identical parts) with the original part numbers LR083266 and LR083267.

For reference see also https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LR083266
    Their product descriptions tells the same story...

And yes, as I live in an alpine country, I know the problems that appear with heavy snowing and temperatures around -20°C. In fact, that's the reason why I recommended the Bosch Aerotwins in the first place (don't know the other Bosch wipers, I only use Aerotwins).
    Take them or not... your choice. Me for my part, I will stick to them - I love them.

Cheers Very Happy Thumbs Up

Edit: my experience is that Bosch is awfully slow in updating their compatibility lists. They seem to be more interested in the big OEM market than in us little beggars. Laughing Laughing

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

Thumbs Up

• Caussi
    Germany 

Hi @all, I found in the Bosch iPhone app the following no.

A 315 S ( 3397014315 )

This information is quite new in this app. A few weeks ago I wasn’t able to find the D5 in the app and if I try to find a shop in the web I only find shops in Russia.

If I get the wipers here in Germany will let you know. Wink

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum