Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Scratch on Gardx treated bodywork

Not a major issue, in fact unless you know where to look, you can’t see it.....but I know where to look ...cos I did it. Big Cry

Rolled a garden waste bin past the car and a branch sticking out rubbed down back panel as far as fuel flap, before I realised.

The car has been Gardx treated.

I was able to remove the scratch with a paint restorer (t cut type product) on the fuel flap as an isolated test area and because the scratch was very very fine at that point.

The scratch is deeper, but doesn’t seem to be in the paint as such, and more visible on the corner by the light cluster and was wondering if it’s likely to be the Gardx coating itself that’s scratched and whether I can t cut deeper in this area without causing some visible patch in the coating?

It doesn’t warrant a full bodywork job, but just wanted some reassurance I won’t make it more obvious by trying to polish it out.

Any experience/suggestions? Thanks
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

As far as I'm concerned the GuardX coating is an elaborate and expensive con and I really wouldn't give it a second thought.

My son works in the motor industry and his company product is GuardX and I'm told the real cost is a tiny fraction of what the end user pays. In fact the after-sales presentation kit costs more than the product does to apply and some dealerships actually apply this to ALL of their stock whether or not it's paid for by the customer Thumbs Up . Just be sensitive and it'll come out fine and then re apply a good wax and sealant.

Hse Lux SDV6
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Yeah, I am sure my paintwork had something applied to it, the thing comes up like new and beads with water, yet the dealership wanted me to have the treatment despite me saying no.

Got lots of, “you’re the only customer that hasn’t had it done this quarter.” I told them I was too poor to afford it and they eventually gave up. Rolling with laughter
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I've bought two new cars in the last 3 years. My BMW had free GuardX thrown in as part of the deal, whereas my Disco had the GuardX removed from the first quote they sent me and we had no more discussion on the topic.

My BMW had impressive beading from new, so I was reasonably glad that it had the treatment thrown in.

My Disco has impressive beading too, definitely something on the paintwork, so I agree with DangerDave and BlackDog that perhaps they just apply it anyway as part of prep and then see who they can charge for it.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Well I was obviously duped, as I paid for the ‘special’ treatment. It was an ex LR staff car, so I am surprised it wasn’t done by them from new. And if they did do it when new ....why tell me it should be done at 18months....unless it WAS a con?

Anyway...I’ve rubbed out the scratch and re waxed the panel. Visually the scratch has gone and spraying water on the panel there is no difference in beading between the area worked on and surrounding area. So I am happy I’ve recovered my mishap.

Thanks for your reassurances.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

We’ve all been duped by LR dealers.

I recall last year the Service Manager of my local dealership phoned me up to tell me my car was ready for collection and went through the half a dozen warranty faults individually and categorically told me this and that had been fixed and guess what? Only one had been done and that was the replacement of a plastic wheel arch guard. Total time to do - 10 seconds. They had the car a week! Just bare faced lying. I rejected the car and I no longer deal with them, even though a visit to the next dealership adds another 100 miles to my trip.

Unfortunately, tales like that are endemic of the LR network of dealerships in the UK.
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

On my first FFRR L405 I was conned too. At the time LR only gave a 1 yr warranty and as my car was 2 yrs old when I bought it I wanted an extra years Manufacturers warranty. I could not have been more clear that I wanted a LR warranty and not an after market dealership one. I was promised that I could have this but only if I took out the paint protection system for an all inclusive price and as it was virtually the same price that it would cost for just one more years MF warranty I accepted.

When my car was delivered and I went through the paper-work I immediately realised they'd sold me an Inchcape warranty and Not LR. After a complaint I was given a refund. Embarassed

Hse Lux SDV6
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum