Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Can anyone recommend a good steering wheel lock for a D5?

Any advice or recommendations for a good steering wheel lock for a D5?

I've tried these TWICE from Amazon, as I liked the idea of not needing a key, but after a month with both, the combos stopped clicking when putting in the code, which leads me to think the mechanism is cheap and I could get locked out.

So instead I've been looking at getting this, BUT I read in a review someone saying it's not compatible with paddle shifters (but no idea which model they'd tried it on).

Any advice appreciated, please.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I have an old school stoplock, fits ok on mine.

I know lots of these things can be overcome but the thought is if my car has one and the next car doesn’t, they will nick the easier one.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

I have a medium size disk lock which fits fine.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Molesworth
    United Kingdom 

Coming back to LR after a while, with a new D5 on order - is this still a thing?
  • gavsta

It's got to be more than a decade since I last saw one of these, then I noticed a neighbour using one on their 21 plate RRS.

What am I missing? I thought stealing a modern car required the key or a tow-truck.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Round my way, LRs & RRs are being nicked ALL the time. New thing seems to be following cars from somewhere like a public car park, where they scan your key (no faraday pouch when you're out, most likely), then they follow you home, see where you live, and come back at night and nick it (and if your key's safely in a faraday pouch at home, it doesn't matter).

Given lead times and the hassle, I've wanted to be better protected. They aren't infallible, but given a choice of pinching one with or without a steering wheel lock, the hope is they go for the one without.......

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Excuse my ignorance, how do they scan the key? Is it when you lock it or do they just need to be near you?
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/features/si...revent-it/

Keyless systems use a simple process. Fobs, compatible smartphones or RFID cards emit a short-range “friendly” radio signal that carries only a few yards. When the associated vehicle is close by (usually within a few metres), the car recognises the signal and allows the doors to be unlocked — often by simply touching a door handle. The same process is used for the ignition on cars with start buttons; the digital key needs to be inside the car itself.

Relay thieves use wireless transmitters held up to the front door or window of a house (or the handbag/pocket of a car owner), to capture the signal from a genuine digital key and relay it to a target vehicle. An accomplice standing close to the vehicle captures the signal, fooling the car into thinking the key is within range, allowing it to be unlocked. Once the accomplice is inside the car, the process can be repeated to start the engine.

Once inside, a blank fob can be programmed to work with the car by accessing the car’s computer port. It’s a process that takes less than a few minutes and allows the car to be started again at a later date.

• gavsta

It's worth noting, that for a few years now, smart keys have 'gone to sleep' after a short period. Some manufacturers were quick on the uptake, whereas others were slow to introduce this obvious security feature across their ranges.

In the scenario, that upon returning home, the car key is flung into a draw, that key would soon stop emitting any signal, preventing a relay attack.

On balance, a relay attack is possible for the few seconds, to a few minutes, the key would be active. Also, as smart keys activate on motion, popping them into a low-cost Faraday bag is good practice, whether at home or sat in a restaurant.
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I've used the silver Milenco one without problems. A quarter turn of the steering wheel to the right allows it to sit on the metal spoke and hang vertically, minimising the denting of the leather.

I have done this since having my D5 nicked (see previous thread) where they must have relayed the key, although about 2 hours after I put it down. They even turned the engine off and on again, using a device plugged into the OBD port to fool the car that the key was present.

Andrew
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Thank you for all the advice!

• JBFUK
    United Kingdom 

So I just brought one of these but I’m not sure how effective it will be. I’m pretty sure I could drive the car with it attached on account of the bar being so short. It would be annoying and inconvenient but still possible to drive. If it could attach the other way (long bar pointing right) it seems like it would be much more effective. It can be attached like this but it’s a real faff and requires putting the key into the back blind to unlock.
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 

As above, I attach it pointing downwards, with the wheel turned a quarter turn to the right. I have tried driving it 1 or 2 metres (when I have got out and seen I have parked crooked) and find it virtually impossible to do even that.

Maybe putting the steering wheel all the way up, and a super-thin person could do better?

Andrew
  • JBFUK
    United Kingdom 

So I've tried it in several positions:

At the top with the wheel straight, bar pointing left - this seems to be the best and most convenient fit but you could certainly drive it on the open road like this with no problems, I'm not so sure about manoeuvring out of a parking space or driveway but it would depend on the surroundings I suppose. Like this it doesn't seem very secure but is very visible. It sits on the rubber steering wheel adapter plates properly so I guess minimal possibility of indents developing. Very easy to put on and take off.

At the top with the wheel straight, bar pointing right - would be very effective as the bar sits in the area between the A-pillar and power window buttons, you couldn't move the steering wheel much. Very awkward to put on and take off on account of the keyhole being on the back side when it's like this.

At the top with the wheel 1/4 turn to the right, bar pointing left - very visible but fits awkwardly due to the paddle shifter which means the rubber pads don't sit on the steering wheel properly and are therefore not really doing their job. Can remove the pads and let the bar sit on the steering wheel directly which means it can sit at an angle and avoid the paddle, but is it going to leave indents/marks on the steering wheel?

On the left hand side with the wheel 1/4 turn to the right, bar pointing down - not particularly visible from a distance so the toerag looking to steal you car might have snuck up and broken the window before they notice it. I also found because of the way it hangs the rubber pads can sit a bit awkwardly as it hangs.

I haven't tried it with the steering wheel turned to the left yet.

What's your experience with regards to the lock leaving marks / indentations on the steering wheel? Do you use the rubber pads?

• chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 

I do it like the second photo, but with the top bar of the lock OVER the steering wheel spoke, and that seems to minimise indents in the steering wheel

Andrew
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum