Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• BruceT
    South Africa 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Front center console fridge

Who else finds this absolutely useless?

This weekend I did a fairly long trip. Placed 4 cool drinks into the fridge that had been in the house's fridge over night at around 4 C.

After an hour they had actually warmed up so much in the arm rest fridge, i would say they were at ambient temp which was about 20 C in the car.

Do I perhaps have a problem with mine or are they inherently useless? I dont remember my D4's being so bad but I didnt use it often either.

Yes it was turned on but in all honesty I doubt it would have made any difference had it not been switched on.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

based on mine....they're largely useless...

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Mine keeps the drinks cold
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Mine works well.

It warms up quite quickly once the engine stops but gets very chilly whilst the engine is running.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Labbix

Mine was not working when car arrived, new fridge was installed and since than it works very well, definitely cold!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

No problem here either.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Had use of one in a loan car and that was really good / useful. Didn't spec it in my car - much to the annoyance of wife.
  • BruceT
    South Africa 

ok so mine is definitely not working then. After a 5 hour drive it was not cold at all.
  • Sacimiddx
    United Kingdom 

It’s a cool box rather than a fridge

And as such mine performs acceptably- even on a long 30 dec c road trip holiday in France this year
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Seems like your one is faulty then.

We find that glass bottles and tins get chilled far better than the cardboard cartons and plastic bottles.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • BruceT
    South Africa 

Yes I think mine is faulty. Will get LR to check it. Even the sides inside the cooler do not get cold. Im not expecting anything to get cold from warm but I would expect them to stay cool.

Put it this way, if I had a chocolate bar inside the cooler it would have melted.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

think mine is probaby duff too then, as its been switched on since dayt I got it and largely doesn't cool anything

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

This is probably more efficient at a fraction of the cost and no loss of space.

• BruceT
    South Africa 

I have a proper fridge in the back already. Just nice to have the center console for long trips.
  • Labbix

Don’t let the dealers tell you ‘this is normal’ when the bottom and bottom sides are not really cold. As with mine it really is. It cools far better than the one I had in the D4, so I’m now wondering if that one was faulty as well... with the D5 it was not really cooling so the dealer ordered and placed a total new one, what a difference, all drinks (in cans and bottles) are really cold, not freezing cold, but definitely cold.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum