Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Flatcoat
    Scotland 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Rear Brake Disc - Rust or Corrosion

I have owned my current 3.0 litre SDV6 from new and before that had the 3.0 litre TDV6 First Edition (Oil Dilution Version).

From new I noticed that the current SDV6 has shown an almost 50% Pad contact on the Offside Rear Disc. I thought with time this would even out and show an even wear, shine pattern, but it hasn’t.

With 11,000 miles on the clock I asked the local Dealer if this was a known issue and they said it was corrosion (only slight presently) working its way down from the top Rim outer edge of the Disc inwards.!

However the other side shows a normal uniform wear pattern.

Does anybody else have this issue.?

Is it a duff Rear Disc.?
    Any other explanation.?

SDV6 Namib Orange
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Obviously the pads are not contacting the disc where the corroded portion is, whether its faulty pad or faulty disc is irrelevant I would want it sorting ASAP because the brakes are working at less the 100%.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Re: Rear Brake Disc - Rust or Corrosion

Flatcoat wrote:

I have owned my current 3.0 litre SDV6 from new and before that had the 3.0 litre TDV6 First Edition (Oil Dilution Version).

From new I noticed that the current SDV6 has shown an almost 50% Pad contact on the Offside Rear Disc. I thought with time this would even out and show an even wear, shine pattern, but it hasn’t.

With 11,000 miles on the clock I asked the local Dealer if this was a known issue and they said it was corrosion (only slight presently) working its way down from the top Rim outer edge of the Disc inwards.!

However the other side shows a normal uniform wear pattern.

Does anybody else have this issue.?

Is it a duff Rear Disc.?
    Any other explanation.?

No idea about your problem, but love the dog! Thumbs Up
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I had the very same problem on D4 and rears were replaced without issue under warranty. I also had the same with my first D5 (oil dilution version!), but dealer was also of opinion it was corrosion, even though I drive it daily. I also pointed out that a walk around parked Discos reveals a mix of conditions, from same bad to some ok. But I traded it for a new D5 which I’m keeping an eye on. But I do note that the discs on my D5 rust within minutes of being parked up, compared to my BMW which takes at least a day to start and then very slow. The disco brake callipers are also heavily corroded after only 3000miles, but BMW still brand new after 75000miles!
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 

I assumed that the photo you posted was immediately after a drive and brake so the smooth circular area is the removed surface coating of rust which appears across the whole of the surface area

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 

I assumed that the photo you posted was immediately after a drive and brake so the smooth circular area is the removed surface coating of rust which appears across the whole of the surface area

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum