Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

Newbie here - Opinions on this

Hello

I'm looking to buy my first Disco in the next few months. I'm also new to the brand so any advice would be gratefully received.

Max budget is £50k and has to be an SDV6, less than 1 year old and with as few as miles as poss - basically I want a new car but don't wan't to pay the premium/take the first year depreciation hit.

Would prefer HSE spec but came across this Anniversary Edition...

https://used.landrover.co.uk/search#/details/2987321

Seems a bit of a bargin to me with just 10 miles on the clock and has the additional benefit of roof rails and a tow bar. Both are extras I'm keen on.

Would you go for this or a slightly older HSE with say 8k miles on it?

Also, what sort of discount do you think would be achievable here?

Thanks in advance
    Dohnut
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

How much of a rush are you in? It’s possible that Q2 deals will be good enough to get you close to a new HSE. Stress possible. Currently over 20% can be had on the FFRR and similar on the RRS. If they move that support to the D5 in Q2, you could be looking at a great deal.

Alternatively, they might be running the Slovakian factory so flat out for the Defender that they are just keeping Disco production to a level that they know they can sell.

Currently it looks easy to score close to 10k off a HSE or HSE Lux without haggling.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Posted , then remembered this

£699 deposit then £699 a month for a HSE https://www.stratstone.com/new-cars/land-r...fer/21511/

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

I'm in no rush although would ideally like to be in one by August.

If I did go new I'd want to sort before April to avoid the tax increase but as I said originally, I'm not so sure I want to buy new.

According to the dealer website the linked Anniversary was just shy of £64k new so at £49k advertised has already been reduced by 23%. Makes me wonder how much lower the dealer would be willing to go.

Last edited by Dohnut on 1st Feb 2020 9:19 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

It depends on what spec you want, that is a nice car but the spec compared to HSE or HSE LUX is low. Depends on what you actually want.
    I have just been toying with the idea of changing my 1st Edition D5 with only 27K on it and all the options you could want, been offered some good deals by GS Aylesford but now think I am going to hold on to it for another year and see what the new Hybrid brings

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

This is my main dilemma... literally new Anniversary, it’s advertised at 10 miles or a used HSE at circa 8k.

Exterior-wise the spec on this Anniversary is perfect. Interior not so much so. But it is literally a new car.

Guess I need to go and sit in one first and see how I feel.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Have you looked at the Landmark Edition too? That’s available new for £52k through drive the deal, a HSE is £57k.

The PCP offer I posted is £34k over the four years of the deal.

All of those new options may give you more warranty coverage than the Anniversary Edition, unless it’s not registered yet? They will be MY20, is the anniversary a MY19 or 20?

Are you paying cash or financing is another consideration. Used car APR is very high if taking dealer finance and will eat up all of the savings versus new. If using cash you may also wish to consider whether you believe you could invest the money for higher returns than the 3.9 or 4.9% new car APR would cost you.

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Thinking about it some more. If I was in your position and the Anniversary Edition fitted the bill, I’d go for the Landmark Edition as a new purchase.

Apart from what I’ve said above, you would get to pick from a wide range of stock cars and get the full rejection protection for six months that applies to a new car. This is not to be underestimated in case you get a troublesome one.

For either of those editions vs. HSE - as they are SE based, the major differences are in the seats and centre console cover, as well as the various toys. So those are the things to have a good poke around at at the dealer. Windsor leather versus grained leather etc. If they should you around a HSE Lux, ignore the leather on the door tops and dashboard as the HSE does not have that.

Adaptive cruise control is a big benefit on motorways and I wouldn’t personally want to be without it, but YMMV Smile that’s another thing that’s standard on the HSE.

• Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for all your input.

I would be financing over 4 years and would want warranty cover for the entire term if possible, so an extended warranty would form part of my negotiation on a used purchase.

Do you know how much an extended warranty costs?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Russell wrote:
    It depends on what spec you want, that is a nice car but the spec compared to HSE or HSE LUX is low. Depends on what you actually want.
    I have just been toying with the idea of changing my 1st Edition D5 with only 27K on it and all the options you could want, been offered some good deals by GS Aylesford but now think I am going to hold on to it for another year and see what the new Hybrid brings

I agree Russell. I would have thought that the Anniversary and Limited Edtions would have been top spec like the F.E and HSE LUX, not just tarted up entry level specs. I think LR missed out on a trick here as I would have expected all the extras on a special /limited edition model.

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 1st Feb 2020 11:03 am. Edited 1 time in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

I don’t know what a warranty would cost, but if financing over four years then I would look closely at the new route if I was you. Depreciation likely to be similar if you get the deal right. And ask them to put the fourth year warranty on as part of the deal.

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Not a bad deal. Nice enough car. If you’re happy with it .... Thumbs Up
  • Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

Think I’m going to hold fire for now.

I’m sure you’re all aware a minor refresh is due along with the launch of a mild-hybrid later this year. I think we’ll also see changes to the interior too with the adoption of the touch screen climate controls seen in other LR models.

I want to wait and see how this, the tax increase and Brexit will impact used values.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum