Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dpetchey
    United Kingdom 

Damaged Landmark

So we were very excited to collect our new 3litre Eiger grey landmark today. Our local dealer is in the process of rebuilding the showroom so collection was from a temporary building while the work is carried out.
    All was very good, completed all the paper work, car looked great, in depth handover and off we went with big smiles!
    Twenty minutes later looking over the car at home we see the rear bumper is damaged and clearly been driven into something, or something driven into it. Called the dealer straight away and waiting for the managers response tomorrow. It’s impossible that this happened on route home and I can only assume we didn’t notice it at the dealers as it was reverse parked in the workshop entrance which was quite dark inside and bright sun out meaning not great light around the rear of the car.
    Totally gutted about it and completely took the edge off new car day.

Darren
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Been there, done that, got the T shirt. I was basically accused of doing it myself and thereafter there was 6 months of Hell that resulted in a fraught rejection.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Did you take any pictures? In my case, I spotted that the lower bumper trim was heavily bowed when washing it a month after pick up. When I looked back at the pictures, it was there at pickup. I mentioned it to the dealer four months later when in for sensor issues and they happily replaced the trim FOC, a new piece according to the paperwork. I told them I had a pic, but they never asked to see it.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Dpetchey
    United Kingdom 

Quick update
    The dealer has booked it in next Monday for the repair to be carried out.
    Still not impressed that a brand new car has to go into a body shop for pre delivery damage!

Also I have noticed, more so on the privacy glass that it’s covered in very fine dots? Any ideas? My first thought is overspray which surly isn’t possible on a new car?
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Ask the dealer to explain the dots.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Like me, you didn’t have to accept the repair, you could have rejected it straight away.

I wouldn’t give them another chance. Learn from my mistakes as the dealership then tried to use that against me and claim the repair was part of the initial 30 days.
  • Dpetchey
    United Kingdom 

This is a pic of the privacy glass, all be it in the dark (but the flash highlights it well) after using a glass cleaner.
    Looks like overspray from a repair to me?

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

agreed it does look like overspray.

A friend who now works for Mercedes UK Head Office, previously for VWG Head Office, told me, its not unusual for a car to be damaged in transit and repaired prior to delivery as a new car!

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Dpetchey
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for your feedback

I’m certain that’s what it is. If they had carried out a thorough pdi this should have been picked up.
    So now I have to decide- reject and start over or except a repaired car. The sales manager said if I go for rejection that I won’t be able to get the same deal/spec and we will be without a car for the duration until a new one is delivered. Great 🤬
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

that sounds more like a threat to put you off...however the Consumer Rights Act is not quite a customer firnedly as you might expect, indeed a number of motoring organisations say in general it can be quite hard to reject a car under the Act, especially "Cosmetic issues or minor faults that can be easily repaired are not enough to trigger your right to reject the vehicle. These sorts of issues should be dealt with under warranty, if you have one."

Doesn't seem fair to me, especially as it says all you're entitled to under the Act is the dealer buys back form you at the price you paid, which as you have said leaves you without a car and without a deal.

Definitely worth looking at the "what are you offering me to undertake the repair", see how much theyre willing to give you as compensation. Also would be interesting to see if you can find out if your car has been repaired or somehow suffered inadvertent overspray.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

That’s a load of old pony about not being able to match the deal etc. Dropped you a PM, but in short fight for your rights if you want to.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Please read the CRA 2015 and accompanying notes. There are specific parts that relate to vehicles.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

And look at the more user friendly,

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/how-to-reject...er-rights/

Do what you can live with, but once you have made your mind up, stick to it.

The car had a fault within the first 30 days, it’s not just a minor scratch. The rear bumper is damaged and there appears to be overspray on the windows. I’d class that as significant.

I’d personally reject it now and have any monies returned within 14 days. I wouldn’t reorder from the same dealership, they have proved untrustworthy and I wouldn’t believe a word they said. It costs them if you reject, so expect some resistance. Oh, and you don’t have to take back your Trade In.

In my case, they had their Compliance Manager deal with me, he was a qualified Solicitor. Don’t be intimidated, that person as it happens couldn’t tie his own shoe laces and was quoting part of the Act out of context. He was also making stuff up about interpretation, that I combated with the notes section of the Act. His paymaster was the car dealership, so it was expected.

Anyway, you can then take your pick from other dealerships that are about. There’s plenty that would kill for business just now.

If you’ve had finance, you will need to go via the Finance Company. If not, you can do it direct with the supplying dealership. Good luck. Thumbs Up
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 

Yes, within the 30 days you should be entitled to your money back or a replacement car of same value. My dealer actually got me one of higher value at no cost to me (due to price and spec change), and that was after a few months. I also had 3 similar or better spec cars to use whilst I waited for my new one - although that is more of a good will thing I suspect. Not all dealers are the same.

I would be concerned about what damage was caused requiring a spray, and will this show itself later on, perhaps after warranty expires.
  • Dpetchey
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the advice- we really appreciate it.

So the dealer wants it back to repair the damaged bumper and look at the markings on the windows.
    They have said it will all be repaired and valeted to showroom condition, they will fill the fuel tank and give us a meal voucher to the value of £150. Doesn’t seam like much compensation!

We love the car, it’s the ideal colour, spec etc for us. We was supposed to be getting a towbar fitted tomorrow (aftermarket) but I’ve had to put them off given the circumstances. We use it for towing our two tonne Buccaneer caravan which we will soon be wanting to start using in the spring so not having a tow car would prevent that happening.

What sort of compensation do you think I could try for if they complete everything to a high enough standard and we keep the car?
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

The Act makes no mention of a replacement “car” if rejected within 30 days. Its a full refund only. A replacement car is an option between 30 days and 6 months. There are special rules regarding vehicles under the CRA.

If you’ve an awkward dealership, they will try to latch onto you’re asking for a replacement, therefore by definition you are treating it as a rejection between 30 days and 6 months.

They then attempt to say as such it attracts a reasonable milage charge on the vehicle you are rejecting, normally about 40p plus per mile.

Up to you, but you can’t use the CRA and then depart from it if it suits you. It leaves you open to criticism by the dealership if they then want to be flexible with it themselves.

As for compensation if you allow them to repair it. Basically that’s not covered anywhere in the CRA, so I couldn’t advise you. I think you’ve got to make your mind up wether you are rejecting it or allowing a repair and take it from there, but to be honest if you tell them you will reject it if I don’t get A, B or C, then you’re leaving yourself open to the suggestion you’re blackmailing them.

So in essence, I wouldn’t be comfortable asking or bargaining for freebies for allowing them to repair it when quite simply, all they are legally obliged to do is return it to a standard that it should have been to start with. If you down that route I think you just have to accept what they offer.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum