Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• lucero
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

WARNING: Official Roof Rack is crap

Just a massive heads up to anyone who spends the near on £1300 (with finishers) for a versatile roof rack.

The design bell ends at JLR thought that self tapping bolts would be a good idea to hold the leading front edge box section in place (with the corners).

After 600 miles, they worked lose. We lost one (pinged off on the motorway), and the remaining three bolts have vibrated enough to enlarge the holes they sit in, so they now can't be tightened. Two of the bolts are discreet and can only be accessed by removing the first front aero cross bar.

Because the bolts are discrete, there are no nuts, so JLR used 8mm (head) self tapping bolts to connect the front section up to the corners.

Basically this will result in a knocking front roof rack section at anything over 40mph. Should you lose either of the side bolts, the potential is that the front section could separate from the roof rack under heavy braking.

Censored
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Mine was fine for approx 5000km.

I took it off for completely different reasons.

If you want mine... you can have it. It is sittong in my garage doing nothing and i can no longer put it back on as i have now gor roof rails.
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

I wonder if the bolts were torqued correctly at installation? Might explain them working loose.
  • Ronbo
    United States 
    2017 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Locktite or similar would likely prevent loosening.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Did you go back to LR and put a warranty claim in???

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • lucero
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

discus wrote:
    I wonder if the bolts were torqued correctly at installation? Might explain them working loose.

These bolts don't form part of the installation. They form part of the physical roof rack structure (ie, independent of the car and the mounting to the car).

Loctite would probably work, but honestly, it's just a poor design. Where they've tried to hide the bolts in the frame, they've just drilled holes and put the self tappers through. Over time, especially with load / strong winds, the bolts will work lose.

I'm not sure I can do much as I installed the roof rack myself, but what I suspect will happen is I will end up tack welding some nuts to the rear of the hidden sections and use a slightly larger bolt (now that the holes have opened up themselves under movement).
  • BruceT
    South Africa 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Thanks for the heads up. I will check mine although it seems to be fine after around 2000kms
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum