Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Warranty Work

I need to get the Disco into a dealership. The servicing light has come on prematurely, so needs an update and the oil dilution checked. I’ve only done just over 13k miles, the locking wheel nuts are rusting and the infortainment needs updating.

Now here’s the rub, the nearest main dealership is in Inverness and I don’t trust them!

In the past I’ve taken in an undamaged car and taken home a damaged one and also I’ve been misinformed about repairs. You know we’ve done x, y and z and they hadn’t and after I kicked off about a rejection of a new car that took 6 months to resolve, I feel there is a bit of tension in the air.

So do I let them carry out warranty work or go to Elgin, which puts extra miles and time on my journey?

The thing is I am getting that uncomfortable about the whole thing and thinking why should I have to go to these lengths? You spend £60k and ...... you can fill in the blank

Now I am considering ditching the car and buying another make because of it. Crying or Very sad
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

How old is the car? Could the light have come on because its due for a time based (annual) service?

Would the Elgin dealership collect your car and deliver it back? My local dealership offers to collect but it's not as far away as yours.

I'd reward the dealership I trust with the business and try to link the journey with other reasons to go that way.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Just under 18 months.

Getting into a dealership can be a bit of a pain in the neck up here. Inverness is local if you could call it that, Elgin puts on another 80 miles round trip and best part of a couple of hours.

Normally I don’t wander out of the Highlands. I’ve been to Elgin before and they are fine, but I wouldn’t have a reason to go there apart from the garage.
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

If it was me, I would take it to the Elgin dealer if you know they will do the work properly, even though it is wee bit of a drive for you and secondly, write to LR customer services and point out all the details of the poor service you have had from the local dealer - if enough people complain, then LR might just take notice and investigate. (You could also point out how much it will cost you in time and fuel to go to the Elgin dealer and that is something you will take into account when you come to replace your current vehicle).
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Fair point thank you, but having involved Speths Executive before, I found them terribly uninterested. I had several valid complaints about the firm when it came to rejection and they couldn’t have cared less. Yes, I understand the contract was between the dealership and I, but the time, effort and angst it took to reject the vehicle was considerable.

What did LR contribute, basically zip. They may have compensated the dealership for having to buy back the car, but if they did it was outwith my knowledge. In any case I had a water tight case against the dealership supplying a damaged vehicle. They certainly didn’t help me purchase another and I’d had three new LRs in three years! Great way to reward loyalty on which they place so much emphasis, there again it must be a one way street.
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

18 months and 13000 miles doesn't seem overly premature... You'd hope any dealer could be trusted to do a routine service surely. Down to where you feel comfortable taking your business, I suppose.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I'd go for Elgin and somehow try to make a day of it. Once the dealership is tainted, best avoided. 2 hours extra in your own comfortable car is preferable to a couple of hours hanging around a place that winds you up.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Very true. Thumbs Up

Discus, when I spoke to the Elgin dealership about things the end of last year, they checked the car against the VIN number and said it was one that should be 2 years or 21k miles.

As a result theyd do a software update to correct the erroneous display and check the oil dilution and do an oil change under warranty if necessary despite the fact it would have its normal service and another oil change in August.

I don’t know if Inverness would tbh, but I could do without spending the extra time and mileage going into Morayshire, particularly when I pass the door of the other place, but it looks like that’s exactly what I’ll have to do. Hey ho, that life, but I shouldn’t need to if you see what I mean.

I feel little disgruntled, particularly as I’ve purchased 4 new cars from that group and they didn’t even have the decency to invite me to their new showroom opening. Although I have to say, they never did even when I was on good terms with them.

Last edited by Dangerdave on 26th Feb 2020 10:31 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Whippetman
    England 

Dangerdave wrote:
    Just under 18 months.

Getting into a dealership can be a bit of a pain in the neck up here. Inverness is local if you could call it that, Elgin puts on another 80 miles round trip and best part of a couple of hours.

Normally I don’t wander out of the Highlands. I’ve been to Elgin before and they are fine, but I wouldn’t have a reason to go there apart from the garage.

I’ve no problem doing a 70 mile round trip down M5 for service/ update.
    I even enjoy the ride down but always glad to return the Evoque or what ever loan car👍

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Gone with Elgin. Middle of next month. They can take a look at the rusty locking wheel nuts and infortainment as well. Thumbs Up

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

And Sod’s law dictates, the day before, it’s snowing hard and I doubt there will be any let up! Rolling Eyes

• harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Looks like disco 5 weather!!!

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Although I live in an area where bad road conditions are par for the course, I can’t say I particularly like “playing” in it on a public road. If I don’t need to be out, I don’t go out.

That aside, I got phoned in the afternoon by the dealership - staff sickness and a bereavement, they had to postpone the visit. Would phone me next week and fix a date.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum