Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Graze to plastic part of front bumper - any cures?

Managed to graze the front of my bumper (the non-painted part). Is there anything you can do to get rid of scuffs on this material, without replacing the part?

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Doubtful, you could try 3,000 grit sandpaper and try buffing it out. Personally I’d rub some back to black polish over it to lessen the effect.

Another option would be to ask Chips Away or a similar firm.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

I was wondering about Chips Away as well... will ask! Thank you!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Yes companies like chips away offer plastic repairs and with a certain amount of success.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

That's encouraging - email sent to request a quote!

I parked frontways in to unload the boot (for a change) at work, and got too close to our newly built brick wall! Thought I was ok, but then switched off, suspension went to access height, along with a horrible scraping sound! Big Cry

I know... what an utter prat!!!

• Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Gutted!

I guess at least you didn’t damage any of the front parking sensors!
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Wouldn’t get hung up on it, these things happen. It’s a tool, not a fashion accessory, if it gets the odd scrape, so what.

Anyway, last year my wife reversed her car into my car parked up on a long, wide driveway with tons of space. Her car has got the beepers and camera, which she obviously totally ignored. Her excuse was you don’t normally leave it there, silly place to park it. I just shrugged my shoulders, you can’t argue against logic like that.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

I once backed out of a parking bay in my D4 too quickly for the sensors to tell me I was getting close to an obstacle….the parking payment meter. Totally wrecked it….the meter. My local body repair shop ‘popped’ the plastic corner back into position…but wanted to replace the bumper which seemed an unnecessary expense.

I did however get Chips away to take out the scratch and indent left in the bumper corner….more to hide the telltale evidence than cosmetic perfection.

I must have been the toast of the town for 2months till the machine was repaired and free parking ended.

I was too modest to widely publicise my heroic stand against motoring costs. Rolling with laughter

They placed a bollard in front of the repaired meter.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Wolfpack wrote:
    They placed a bollard in front of the repaired meter.

But when you'd hit the meter, did it spill its precious loot all over the pavement? That's the big question!

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

I didn’t stop to look.

All I recall is this structure ‘doubled up’ in pain as if it had been thumped in the stomach, viewed in the rear view mirror as I swiftly drove away. When I got home , the wife uttered those immortal words “hope there weren’t any cctv cameras there”. Shocked

I went past the scene of the crime next day, not to offer my confession but to double check there weren’t any cameras. Whistle

The wife (bless her) then said “you had to put your registration in the machine….could they trace you?”

That’s when I sold it and bought the D5.

The wife then ………“STOP right there.” I screamed “I am not going to change my name, move house or anymore to protect my record and reputation. If they track me down I shall plead insanity.

Buying a D5 should be proof enough”
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum