Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• FlyingTexan
    United States 

Oil Change

I purchased a 2017 Disco 5 td6 CPO and trying to find what filters are used and information on how to change the oil. I’ve found the spec oil online but can’t find the filters or instructions on how to do it. I’ve been told Discos were designed to change the oil from the top with a sump. Is that still the case is the oil filter still located up top?
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

this may help, takes a while to down load and is in Italian https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread924.html?highlight=workshop

Actually downloaded version will not allow access to the links. I think when it was first posted it did work. No doubt someone will be of more help Big Cry

Last edited by Blackfly on 13th Sep 2018 3:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • FlyingTexan
    United States 

I admire your ability to dig that up but I don’t speak Italian lol
  • vkord
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

not complicated

I think you should be able to use oil extractor and the filter changed from the top. First service is free if I am not mistaken, also doing oil change yourself will void the warranty. Also you will need very specific low sulfur oil.
  • FlyingTexan
    United States 

Re: not complicated

vkord wrote:
    I think you should be able to use oil extractor and the filter changed from the top. First service is free if I am not mistaken, also doing oil change yourself will void the warranty. Also you will need very specific low sulfur oil.

Since when does an oil change yourself void a warranty? Even if something breaks on the engine they’d have to prove the failure was due to the oil which happens basically zero.
  • vkord
    Canada 

I am afraid you will need to prove them that the car was serviced as per requirement, not the other way around. You can purchase oil and filter online and have any cheap oil service center to do it for you and give you the printout. And save $300.

Last edited by vkord on 17th Sep 2018 3:45 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

In Europe, up until recently, anything you did yourself would invalidate the whole warranty. A couple of years ago I believe the law changed to stop forcing you to go to a franchised dealer. I don't know the exact wording but 'qualified person' keeps appearing on all warranty paperwork. JLR are of the opinion that 'qualified' means someone who has done their specific courses. It would probably take a court case to sort out an engine problem after a non JLR dealer had changed the oil but that's how lawyers make their money!

Until a few years ago it was impossible for anyone other than a registered dealer to get access to Topix. That changed around the same time and now anyone can pay for access.

All of the above could be total bull and I am happy to be corrected but that's what I've surmised over the years.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • FlyingTexan
    United States 

In the US it’s illegal to force maintenance at the dealership. I can document the oil change, receipts etc, and be ok.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Nothing wrong with changing it yourself - just make sure you use the exact specification of oil (STJLR.03.5005 5W30 - Castrol Edge Professional is the recommended brand but there are others).

There are two ways to change the oil. One is by vacuum extractor, through the tube; the second is the old-fashioned way, including replacing the drain plug and crushable metal gasket. Hint: You'll have to get Castrol at a Land Rover dealer because they don't sell the JLR spec diesel engine oil in the States - the Castrol Edge Professional you can buy on Amazon or at Pep Boys or NAPA is packaged the same, called the same thing, but it is not the same oil. Otherwise it's Ravenol FLJ by mail.

Filter: ECOGUARD - $13.99 on Amazon.

Or just go to a dealer and buy the whole kit.

And while you're correct, they can't *force* you to go to the dealer to get all your maintenance done, they absolutely can deny a warranty claim if you, or Jiffy Lube, don't use the correct oil and you experience an engine failure within warranty. They will test the oil, bank on it.

And also, don't use Jiffy Lube. Just don't.
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

vkord wrote:

I am afraid you will need to prove them that the car was serviced as per requirement, not the other way around. You can purchase oil and filter online and have any cheap oil service center to do it for you and give you the printout. And save $300.

Hi vkord,

what are we seeing in those pictures? Is that tube in the front /l eft ment for sucking out oil of the engine? What's the other thing in the rear / right for?

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

That tube is the place where in old cars there would be a dipstick, but this is indeed the tube for attaching a vacuum pump. It goes to the bottom of the oil pan. The thing in the upper right is the top of the oil filter cap.
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Thanks guys!

Brings up another question though:
    I also own a Disco Sport with 2.0L Ingenium Diesel. Which does have a dip stick. Do you guys know if those 2.0 L Ingeniums got a "oil sucking ports" too? Last time I tried to insert a small plastic hose down the dip stick tube, but that was messy as hell and I didn't get all of the oil out.

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • vkord
    Canada 

I can confirm that $ 20 oil extractor pump from amazon managed to remove enough oil so nothing came out from the drain plug after (just wanted to test that). Just make sure oil is hot when you do that.

Anyone can explain the difference between Mann HU826x and Mahle OX776 D oil filters please?
    Same overall dimensions yet paper cutout in center of Mahle seems too small.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum