Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• sportcoupe
    United States 

D5 reliability? or JLR reliability in general?

Although I have a D5 on order, I am not committed just yet. This will be my very first Land Rover. I also like to drive long distances, via remote regions, ALONE. Breaking down would be a major inconvenience as help could be 5 hours away.

In general, JLR is not know for it's reliability, at least where I live. I understand things break in a car like a D5 with it's complicated systems. My concern is, do these faults typically leave the driver stranded requiring tow, or is it a simply a feature that doesn't work just right?

This may be hard to answer, maybe not. I believe some of you have had LR's all your life. You are the best source of an honest history report.

Thanks in advance.

Ordered - HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Kaikoura Stone 20" Black pack + more.
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
  • Phil B
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

I've had a Disco 3, a RRS and a DS. Never been left stranded. Once had a loaner RRS with a seized electric handbrake , but that's all.

Phil
  • J77
    Scotland 

1x D3
    3x Fl2
    1x Evoque
    2x D4
    1x DS

And now the D5, only my Disco 3 gave me problems and that was the only one I've had to call Land Rover Assist out to.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Well drove from Scotland too India in my dad's D1 which was only 18 months old at the time, 5 doors, along with a trailer in 1993. 11 borders later and 2 weeks non stop, 7,500 miles later, no issues at all from the D1, not even a puncture. Only issue was a broken shackle on one of the trailers leafsprings, but hardly surprising as the pot holes in Turkey were about 1 foot wide by 1 foot deep.
    My uncle made the same journey in 1964 with a brand new defender. Took him a month too arrive and the car had no issues. Unfortunately whist going through Russia in the winter he caught pneumonia as the defender did not have a heater. It still running fine albeit being hit by a train after it conked out on the railway track. Stupidly the new owner stuck a Toyota engine in it which he later regretted, as the 25 bhp engine if my memory serves me correctly was underpowered. It's now been transformed into a taxi with extra seats welded onto the back. How many cars that are 53 years old and have been T boned by a train are still running.??? The average saloon would have been written off and flattened.
    Well the local garage managed too straighten the chassis out. Still has the UK 4 digit plates on it. I will post a few pics up if I can find them.
    All in all a testament too the brand. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 28th Mar 2017 9:45 pm. Edited 6 times in total
  • sportcoupe
    United States 

Great reports so far. I am loving reading the history and stories. Keep them coming please. Thumbs Up

• sportcoupe
    United States 

No more comments? Sad

• stuart_f
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Our D5 must be a lemon then.

Collected it on 17 March, had 3 Land Rover assist callouts in the first week and it's been back to the dealers twice. It's been at the dealers since 25 March with a software problem that JLR have no idea how to fix.
  • fisherman
    United Kingdom 

I've had Disco's for only 11 years but I've never been stuck or broken down ever. I've had suspension issues but never to the point of being unable to get home. Usually just restart and it clears. So never had problems which left me stranded.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

stuart_f wrote:
    Our D5 must be a lemon then.

Collected it on 17 March, had 3 Land Rover assist callouts in the first week and it's been back to the dealers twice. It's been at the dealers since 25 March with a software problem that JLR have no idea how to fix.

What's the problem If you don't mind me asking?? Maybe thats why there is a shed load of them still stuck in the compound. Mines been there for 6 weeks and am also afraid I will end up with a lemon 🍋 Rolling Eyes
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Anyway am a great believer in that If you look after your car it will look after you be it a Rolls Royce or a Lada. As long as you regularly service it and maintain it and not overly abuse it, it should last you a life time. (Unless it's a French car that I would advoid like the plague). Its a bit like healthy eating or living on Macdonalds food.??? One will deffo kill you quicker just like your engine (cheap supermarket fuel, cheap supermarket oil and cheap aftermarket components) Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    What's the problem If you don't mind me asking??

It's something to do with the main computer and its software load. The car has decided that the factory fitted options are no longer fitted and refuses to display any controls for them on the info screen and the hardware buttons (eg tow bar deploy) don't do anything at all.

The dealer has tried to reload the software but it just errors out. After the second attempt to reload it, the car violently objected and reported itself stolen so at least the inControl secure works Laughing

None of the procedures in the dealer manual are solving the problem so we are waiting on JLR's technical team to provide a resolution.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Am really sorry too hear that. All that money spent you would think that it should work flawlessly. (Oh yes I remember your towbar issue a few days ago.)

Thats one reason why i never went for the deployable tow bar incase it got stuck like my mates did on his RR a while back. It practically siezed, and had too get the whole lot replaced under warranty.

Plus you would think LR would have the software programmes written beforehand, not after the problem has arisen and new programmes have too be written. It would be wonderful if they gave us a software USB stick at the point of sale and and any issues plug and play and sorted. If only, as would make life alot simpler.

Maybe worthwhile investing in a diagnostic scanner tool. I got one from eBay for £20. It tells you what the problem is, by giving you a fault code and a brief fault description plus if the engine management light is on you can reset it without disconnecting the battery. It will also clear any codes. The fault codes are generic so I could use the scanner on both cars and the van.

Mind you with such an expensive vehicle which is brand new I would not use a scanner until they fix the issues plus by sounds of it there is alot of complicated stuff in the D5 best left to the boffins.

By the sounds of it your probably in need of a new computer but hopefully just a quick fix via a software upgrade Thumbs Up
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

Quote:
    Plus you would think LR would have the software programmes written beforehand

One of the vans that Land Rover assist sent out didn't even have the Disco 5 as an option on his Panasonic Tablet. When he plugged into the car the only choices were Disco 1-4, RR Sport or FFRR. Needless to say, it didn't communicate at all.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Well that's a really poor show tbh. They MUST have known they were coming out too a D5, so why bother turning up, adding insult too injury, knowing full well that nothing can be done.

Imagine if your were abroad somewhere, like France and had too detach your caravan and lo and behold no way too hitch it back up. Not good too say the least. Would that have meant leaving your caravan abroad whilst you returned too the UK, until the problem was fixed, with the possibility of having it stolen in your absence, or would it be covered by LR Roadside Assistance assuming you had caravan / trailer cover?

I would have been straight on the phone too LR about this. It's a major inconvenience too say the least. Sad

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 29th Mar 2017 7:36 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

"Major inconvenience" that's one way of putting it! Very Happy

I bought a tow car that doesn't tow. That's "not fit for purpose".

I'll see how this goes over the next week or so but the nuclear option is to use the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to reject the car and I have 30 days from delivery to do that. I would hope that LR reach some sort of agreement with me before it comes to that.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum