Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Ecosse
    United Kingdom 

Seat options?

There appear to be 3 main options for the front seats, of just heated, heated/cooled, and heated/cooled/massage.
    Is the overall seat design the same ie the same frame & padding/support?
    I've got heated seats in the D4, but what are members' thoughts/experiences of the added cooling function - is it ventilated ie blowing cool air or does it somehow chill the seat leather?
    And is the massage function any use or just a gimmick? - does it help for long trips, relieving back problems, or does it just result in the massage elements being felt through the seat even when not in use?
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I have the heated and cooled seats (not massage). The D4 had heating elements under the leather, I think the heated seats in the D5 are the same.
    The heated and cooled seats use perforated leather and blow warm or chilled air through the leather. They work well and the cooling is lovely on a hot sweaty day but they do take a little while to warm up on a cold day and so actually blow cold air at first for a couple of minutes on a frosty morning.
    You also get a bit of quiet fan noise from the blower - it's not intrusive but it is sometimes noticeable.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Ecosse
    United Kingdom 

Thanks - that's interesting, hadn't realised that the "heating" part was also based on air flow rather than a heating element like I have in the D4 !
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

its not, only the cooled part uses the air flow through the holes, the heated part uses a mat like in the D4

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Ecosse
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Russell !
  • John C
    United Kingdom 

Is it just me, or are the heated seats in the D5 not as hot as the D3/4? My D5 doesn't feel as warm as my D3? Did a seat comparison the other day!

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Russell wrote:
    its not, only the cooled part uses the air flow through the holes, the heated part uses a mat like in the D4

I'm sitting in mine at the moment writing up this morning's job.

The in-seat fan is quietly hissing away and its definitely blowing warm air up my backside.

Perhaps the older ones were different?

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

John C wrote:
    Is it just me, or are the heated seats in the D5 not as hot as the D3/4? My D5 doesn't feel as warm as my D3? Did a seat comparison the other day!

Yes I agree and so does my other half. Definitely not as good as the last D4.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I think JonM might be right. They are also slow imho, bloody good once they get going though.

Wouldn’t be without the cooled option. Now that’s a must have for future cars.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

NB I’ve driven the RRS AB and BMW X7 with massaging seats. Seemed a bit of a gimmick to me, but the BMW ones were definitely more impressive. If I was regularly driving 3 hours plus in one stint, I’d be tempted nonetheless.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Ecosse
    United Kingdom 

Thanks that's useful - mainly do shortish runs but also monthly 400 mile trips so had wondered if the massage function might have made the journey easier!!
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

The BMW (comfort seat) ones really push you around, which I imagine is very beneficial on a long run. I don’t recall that the RRS ones were as forceful, but they did do a nice kind of ripple feeling down the spine. Much more limited in terms of choice of programme iirc.

The D5 seats are different again, not the comfortable armchairs of an Autobiography RR. That said, the ostensibly more comfortable BMW seats left me feeling less comfortable than the D5 (non-massage).

One thing, the upright nature of the seating means it’s so easy to reposition on a long journey and avoid aches setting in.

Try before you buy, i reckon.

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Just spotted one more question in your OP. In the cars with massage, i would never have been aware that the function existed before switching it on. There’s no feeling of something there.

They tend to have a “repeat every x minutes” function, which does kind of surprise you after 20 minutes of inactivity, or whatever.

400 mile regular journey- think I would get them if buying new. But if buying secondhand it wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

• teaman
    United Kingdom 

Also, although perhaps not immediately front of mind. I find the engine and cruise control make a comfort / anti-fatigue difference.

The V6 is super smooth. And adaptive cruise control with steer assist is magic- it will happily drive for hours and hours down a motorway with very little input required. Including when stuck in queuing traffic. All of which help provide a more relaxing time with less tension in your back.

I can happily do 4-5hrs but after that I need a quick walk, and probably a toilet break! So never really been a problem.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum