Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• RSC
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Kaikoura Stone

New owner can’t use “remote” app - but then this happens....

Hi,
    New to forum, long time LR owner, ( FR x2, D3, D4, Evoque, DS, D4 again!) just got a used D5.

Relevant to anyone buying a used D5 (2017 onwards) who wants to avoid unnecessary costs...

So non- Main Land Rover dealer who sold me the car tells me that if previous owner has registered the car for “in control” stuff I will need to go to a LR dealer who will in register so I can be ‘associated’ with the vehicle.

All true and sure enough, on downloading the ‘Remote’ app, it tells me the vehicle is already registered to someone and to go to a LR dealer with log book and proof of identity to sort it out.

Local dealer is in Ripon, North Yorkshire so I called in, V5 and driving license in hand only to be told there would be a charge! Now, as a long time LR owner I know the dealers are gouging and I normally avoid them but as they are the only ones that can do this I had no choice.

How long would it take? - no longer than 20-30 mins I was told.

And what is the charge?

£50!!! Shocked Rolling with laughter Shocked Censored

Hmmm.... no parts so that’s £100 an hour for labour! ( in this case typing a VIN no. and name) Rolling Eyes

So I walk out ...... Wink Laughing and ring Land Rover Customer Care 0370 500 0500
    Explain the situation, and they ask me to send photos of the three pages of V5 to them with a FAO to the person on the phone and hey presto - SORTED!

A salutary tale to all new owners of used LRs - BEWARE THE LAND ROVER DEALER, those shiny showrooms cost a lot to keep clean and staffed - and those smiles, well they may just be showing off the dental work you have paid for! Very Happy

Hats off to Jaguar Land Rover Customer Care Bow down Bow down Bow down no fuss, no BS and no charge!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Of course if you had joined this magnificent forum first we could have told you that and saved the trip to the dealer. Whistle Thumbs Up

Now do you have the latest software, Apple CarPlay, etc?

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

I hope you got a free coffee!
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Re: New owner can’t use “remote” app - but then this happens....

RSC wrote:
    Hi,
    New to forum, long time LR owner, ( FR x2, D3, D4, Evoque, DS, D4 again!) just got a used D5.

Relevant to anyone buying a used D5 (2017 onwards) who wants to avoid unnecessary costs...

So non- Main Land Rover dealer who sold me the car tells me that if previous owner has registered the car for “in control” stuff I will need to go to a LR dealer who will in register so I can be ‘associated’ with the vehicle.

All true and sure enough, on downloading the ‘Remote’ app, it tells me the vehicle is already registered to someone and to go to a LR dealer with log book and proof of identity to sort it out.

Local dealer is in Ripon, North Yorkshire so I called in, V5 and driving license in hand only to be told there would be a charge! Now, as a long time LR owner I know the dealers are gouging and I normally avoid them but as they are the only ones that can do this I had no choice.

How long would it take? - no longer than 20-30 mins I was told.

And what is the charge?

£50!!! Shocked Rolling with laughter Shocked Censored

Hmmm.... no parts so that’s £100 an hour for labour! ( in this case typing a VIN no. and name) Rolling Eyes

So I walk out ...... Wink Laughing and ring Land Rover Customer Care 0370 500 0500
    Explain the situation, and they ask me to send photos of the three pages of V5 to them with a FAO to the person on the phone and hey presto - SORTED!

A salutary tale to all new owners of used LRs - BEWARE THE LAND ROVER DEALER, those shiny showrooms cost a lot to keep clean and staffed - and those smiles, well they may just be showing off the dental work you have paid for! Very Happy

Hats off to Jaguar Land Rover Customer Care Bow down Bow down Bow down no fuss, no BS and no charge!

£100/hr is bargain basement for main dealers Rolling with laughter
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

That will be the same LR customer care and thereafter when I referred it to their executive LR customer care, that refused to pay £150 for resealing a known fault leaking windscreen cos when I had my engine replaced, under the LR warranty, they paid for car hire! Oh, that’s alright then is it. Talk about desperate to avoid paying.

That was a totally separate issue, the £1k plus LR named warranty paid for the repair on what is a manufacturing defect, not LR. It was unknown to me. I didn’t even ask them for a car hire. I would have managed fine without one. Great to know that the executive office pivoted all over such a small amount. What faith does that give you in LR?

It just illustrates now petty they are and absolute tight wads to put. My 7th LR will be my last. I have nothing but contempt for the whole Land Rover organisation and if you’ve bought a car from them, you’ll find out that was such a mistake, if not now then in the not too distant future. May they rot in Hell. Evil or Very Mad
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

I'm going to have to defend the main dealer here.

You didn't buy the car from them, probably aren't going to get it serviced with them, but expect them to sort out the connectivity to your car for free?

Had you paid the dealer £50, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have left until you could see the car connected to your InControl account, so it would have taken more time than just typing in a VIN, name and email address.

I know main dealers can shoot themselves in the foot at times, but some people aren't confident on tech to sort it themselves and would prefer the safety of going through a dealer to get it sorted for them.

The business you should be aggrieved at is the non-LR dealer who basically couldn't be bothered and could have done a bit of google research to get the original owner removed from InControl (would have cost them just a phone call) so that when they sold the car on, the new owner could have simply registered as part of the hand over. (Which is what would have happened at a main dealer if you'd bought the car used from them.)

If the main dealer tagged on a £50 charge for connecting InControl as part of a handover when you bought a car then yes, I'd be pee'd off with them...
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Perhaps he is going to be a one post wonder?

Why join a forum to just complain about JLR, we know they can be a pain but I agree with your comments.

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Ian_S wrote:
    I'm going to have to defend the main dealer here.

You didn't buy the car from them, probably aren't going to get it serviced with them, but expect them to sort out the connectivity to your car for free?

Had you paid the dealer £50, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have left until you could see the car connected to your InControl account, so it would have taken more time than just typing in a VIN, name and email address.

I know main dealers can shoot themselves in the foot at times, but some people aren't confident on tech to sort it themselves and would prefer the safety of going through a dealer to get it sorted for them.

The business you should be aggrieved at is the non-LR dealer who basically couldn't be bothered and could have done a bit of google research to get the original owner removed from InControl (would have cost them just a phone call) so that when they sold the car on, the new owner could have simply registered as part of the hand over. (Which is what would have happened at a main dealer if you'd bought the car used from them.)

If the main dealer tagged on a £50 charge for connecting InControl as part of a handover when you bought a car then yes, I'd be pee'd off with them...

Absolutely. They did my incontrol for free at handover.
    That said, I use an Indy now and as several of the the engineers drive Discos/RRs they are very much switched on with these peripheral connectivity issues as well as main repairs . And at £45/hour compared to dealers £120/hour it’s a saving however big the job.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum