Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Discodiva
    Scotland 

Phone hotspot vs SIM card

Hi, quick question cos I’m getting very confused! Can I use my phone hotspot to connect car to InControl Pro services rather than getting a SIM for the central console bit? Want to have a play around to see if I’ll use the InControl before I commit to a SIM! Many thanks
    (2017 HSE Lux, new to me )
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

It starts with the infotainment : 8" or 10" ?

If 8" : no wifi..
    If 10": check if there is a simcard slot, below the handle of the front central armrest..

If there is a slot, you go into all settings, then connectivity. If there is a wifi option,

you could in theory set your phone up as a hotspot and connect your phone to the

wifi of the car... .... so it might work that way. I didn't try since I just buy a prepaid

data sim.. .. not expensive at all..

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Discodiva
    Scotland 

Thanks 2B. Yes I can put a sim in the vehicle, I wanted to know if by using the phone as a hotspot I could forego getting a sim
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

I think it would be possible. Just go into the settings menu,
    see under connectivity if there is a wifi option, just costs
    some time to fiddle. But simcard is not really a big expense.

D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Yes it's possible. I did it for a while when my SIM reader needed replacing.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Discodiva
    Scotland 

Thanks Jon M, how did you connect it? My phone hotspot is switched on, the WiFi setting is switched on in the car but nothing happens to connect the two??
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Tap the car's screen over the word Wifi (to the side of the switch for on and off), that will open the screen where it searches for available networks. Tap the network that corresponds to your phone's hotspot and enter the Wifi password.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Discodiva
    Scotland 

Thanks Jon M 👌🏻
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

JonM wrote:
    Tap the car's screen over the word Wifi (to the side of the switch for on and off), that will open the screen where it searches for available networks. Tap the network that corresponds to your phone's hotspot and enter the Wifi password.

I found I had to do that every time I wanted to connect, which was too much of a faff so I spent £24 on a 24 month data only SIM card...

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

Exactly. Very often there is a 'missing link' in JLR tech, like automatic connections as this.

I had problems for months getting kicked out my satnav account. I didn't renew the

license due to covid [ not going anywhere, no traffic jams anyway], and I don't get

kicked out again !

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Agreed, pretty much every week I am asked to sign back into my NAV account in the car....

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

2B wrote:
    Exactly. Very often there is a 'missing link' in JLR tech, like automatic connections as this.

I had problems for months getting kicked out my satnav account. I didn't renew the

license due to covid [ not going anywhere, no traffic jams anyway], and I don't get

kicked out again !

Mine always automatically reconnects to both my home wifi and my phone Hotspot when I have it on. Not sure why others' don't.

Incidentally, why don't you use Apple Car Play or Android Auto? I find it superior in every way to the JLR InControl Touch Pro system, particularly the voice control.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

I use Android Auto to play Spotify, but never for NAV since a) the screen is smaller b) it doesn't replicate instructions either on the instruments or HUD.

So I always use Satellite view on the main NAV

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum