Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• norfolkmud
    United Kingdom 

Big oil leak from timing chain cover inspection bung

Had a big oil leak after 30mins of driving. No warning lights, no power loss, only noticed when I stopped as oil all over back of car and pouring onto car park. Been told it is the bung on the timing chain cover popped out causing the leak by LR. Is this a common problem on the 2.0 SD4 Diesel engine... really worrying that a plastic bung can pop out and has huge potential to wreck an engine! 2018MY with 45k. Anyone else had a similar problem or is this common problem with this engine in other JLR products? Thanks all.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Sympathies, did it do any permanent damage?

Never heard that one tbh, but you do despair over the build standard generally. Can’t think it would happen with other, less prestigious makes.

It does make the case for an extended warranty seem an obvious choice, but whether they’d cover a bung popping out that subsequently fried the engine is another matter.
  • norfolkmud
    United Kingdom 

I don’t think so - not got car back yet. Think I was lucky and stopped in time before oil level got critical. Just amazed that they are designed with a plastic grommet that can pop out resulting in huge oil leak. Mine just out of warranty and have looked at all warranty options - JLR, MotorEasy, warranty direct. Does make you think twice about it and perhaps an extended JLR warranty more likely to accommodate goodwill??? Not sure mine is going to be the longer term keeper that I thought it might be!
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

You’re right on the warrant assumptions. A LR one, which costs basically double, might be the one to concede a goodwill gesture, but there again who knows as it’s LR in name only and administered by someone else.

I suppose I’ll keep my one - handy for the usual beginning and end of term University runs, particularly as the kids seem adverse to going where another sibling is at, I normally change before the 3 year mark, but not if LR are going to screw every last cent from customers, which seems to be the way in the aftermath of the pandemic. Once they loose my custom, I won’t go back.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum