Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

When might we get something other than pure petrol/diesel?

Got a 3yr PCP ending mid-Oct, on a Disco 3.0 HSE but I am significantly under the planned 50,000 miles I should be at. With the car having only done 25,000 miles, and due to some shoulder surgery this week it's not going to be used for the next 6 weeks or so, I think I will likely buy it or take a bank loan and privately finance it, so that I can run it for at least another 18 months.

Doesn't seem right to chop in a car which is still immaculate and hasn't done many miles!

The other thing which makes me think this is the right decision is that when I looked online I seemed to only see pure petrol or pure diesel options within the Discovery range. If I leave it a little while, are we expecting to see some kind of mild hybrid options joining the line-up? Or have I missed something?!

Just not too sure I want to commit to another three or four years on a pure diesel car.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I’ve done even less miles than you. It’s utter madness to throw more money at LR for a new motor. Might as well sit on the kerb and poke it down the nearest drain with a stick.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Good to see you 747, what are you driving now that they’ve been retired?

The new D300/P360 are mild hybrids on a 48v architecture I believe. Or were you thinking more PHeV?

Have you WBACed your car to see if there are any nice value surprises? The used car market has gone crazy due to so few sales in 20/21 and now the ongoing supply squeeze due to semiconductor shortages.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Thank you... Nice to post after a long time absent...

Still in my Sept '19 D5 3.0 litre HSE. It's just - like so many - I've hardly had cause to drive it much in the last 14 months. A total of 3 4 'long' journeys of anything more than 100 miles in that time... It's criminal.

I guess I was just hoping LR would offer something that lets me do my 6-mile commute to work without needing the ending, so a little battery power for the small / urban journeys, with the diesel there for anything more than that.

I didn't realise there was some mild hybrid workings there already. What's it good for, if you don't mind explaining?

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Have you WBACed your car to see if there are any nice value surprises? The used car market has gone crazy due to so few sales in 20/21 and now the ongoing supply squeeze due to semiconductor shortages.

So, WBAC offers me nearly £44k, and the car is immaculate, so I believe I likely could likely get that too. And my settlement figure, today, is £31k give or take a few quid. Having never taken a PCP out before and only having bought outright previously, does that mean I am currently quids in?

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

That sounds like you have done well. I’ve been PCPing for 15 years.

The deposit + monthlies takes you on a glide path to land on the GMFV at 36/48 months - give or take a little. All a deposit does is reduce your monthlies.

If 31k is your settlement figure today and you put less than £13k deposit in, that’s a mighty result. Early to Mid term of a PCP is, in any case, where we expect a car to be worth less than the amount owed. Simply due to year 1 depreciation being horrific.

Therefore, any significant equity is both a good thing and generally unexpected.

To give some context to your value. I had an august 2019 HSE-L with a number of options, so a list around £78k. In Jan/Feb 2020 I rejected it and a trade value was calculated at £47k...at five months old. There wasn’t too much incentive to undervalue this as LR were filling the gap to a new deal. Due to covid the replacement took a while and it was August 2020 when my rejection was back on the forecourt at £53k. It had less than 7k miles on the clock.

So, 16 months on, your 25k mile HSE is only booking at £3k less than my HSE-L. Pretty good huh? Similar story here, where the replacement, now 9 months old, WBACs at £55k.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

747_JK wrote:
    Thank you... Nice to post after a long time absent...

Still in my Sept '19 D5 3.0 litre HSE. It's just - like so many - I've hardly had cause to drive it much in the last 14 months. A total of 3 4 'long' journeys of anything more than 100 miles in that time... It's criminal.

Sorry, my "what do you drive now that they have retired" was a tad obscure - I seem to recall that you were a pilot on your namesakes, and it was that that I was referring to Smile
    Quote:

I guess I was just hoping LR would offer something that lets me do my 6-mile commute to work without needing the ending, so a little battery power for the small / urban journeys, with the diesel there for anything more than that.

I didn't realise there was some mild hybrid workings there already. What's it good for, if you don't mind explaining?

I think you would need the plug in P400e for any pure electric miles. I've driven it in the RRS, it's great. It's available in everything but the Disco. Would your family fit in a Defender with the occasional 7-seats?

On the MHEVs, it's about increased efficiency. Stop start is more seamless (I've sampled it in a Defender) but the engine still runs just as much.

On a Range Rover page, LR say "The latest Ingenium diesel engines are the perfect choice for high-mileage customers and those who regularly tow. Based around Jaguar Land Rover’s modular aluminium engine architecture, the new in-line diesel engines are smoother and more refined than the previous generation and feature advanced 48V mild hybrid technology to meet the most stringent global emissions regulations.

These include the Real Driving Emissions Step 2 (RDE2) standards, which govern nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions, making the new Range Rover among the first full-sized luxury and performance SUVs in the world to be available with RDE2-certified diesels. The highly efficient engines deliver improved responses by harvesting and storing energy generated during deceleration and intelligently redeploying it to assist the engine when accelerating.

The new mild-hybrid 3.0-litre D300 Ingenium diesel is capable of up to 33.0mpg (8.6l/100km) on the WLTP test cycle, emitting as little as 225g/km CO2. The more powerful D350 achieves up to 30.8mpg (9.2l/100km) with CO2 emissions of 241g/km on the WLTP cycle. As a result, the new flagship diesel provides superior performance to the previous V8 with the efficiency and weight of a six-cylinder design."

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Thank you - very interesting info!

And unfortunately I don't drive 747s, and never have. I just like being on board them! (in normal times - certainly not now!)

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Ah apologies, confusing you with someone on another forum I think!

I deeply miss any form of flying, far more than I ever thought I would!!

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum