Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

3G to 4G

Hello All,

Has anyone on here looked in to "upgrading" the 3G modem in a 2017 model to the 4G model from a more recent model?

If so... Could you let me know what needs to be done?

Thanks.

Nick
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I upgraded mine to 5G by turning on my phone's wifi hotspot and connecting the car's wifi to my phone hotspot.

Saved me from paying for a sim and separate service.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Re: 3G to 4G

nebc100 wrote:
    Hello All,

Has anyone on here looked in to "upgrading" the 3G modem in a 2017 model to the 4G model from a more recent model?

If so... Could you let me know what needs to be done?

Thanks.

Nick

What benefit would receive from the extra speed while you are driving the car?

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Not so much because of the speed, but because 3G network being turned off here in Lux at the end of the month, and I don't really want to have to connect it to my phone each time I get it and use the online address lookup and the traffic updates.

Is it just a matter of changing the telematicd module? Does this need to be coded to the car?
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Unconnected my telematic control unit was faulty and replaced.

It had to be coded to the car, more annoyingly is that the car wouldn’t accept it as a dodgy software file so had to be sent from JLR. Part number llr091248

So will this be a more updated module to accept 4g?
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Hello,

Sorry (for you), but that is still a 3G version.

Good to know that it has to be coded to the vehicle though. Thanks for that information!!

Would you car drive without it connected?
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

That’s a shame. I’ll probably do as others mention and hot spot on the phone.

The telematics module was faulty which caused intermittent starting problems (would not start at all some occasions) and a SOS error to be displayed.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

nebc100 wrote:
    Hello,

Good to know that it has to be coded to the vehicle though. Thanks for that information!!

Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are far superior to In Control Touch Pro, so I'd have no problem if the 3G radio died tomorrow - though the LR Remote functions are occasionally useful, and I believe the vehicle sends telematics through it for crash response or when you press the breakdown button.

Infotainment wise, the only thing I've seen better than AA / ACP is Polestar's implementation of the new Android Automotive OS.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Sorry... I beg to differ... I find that Android Auto is crap!! and I don't touch Apple devices...

I don't want to have to always have my phone with me. I then don't want to have to plug in my phone every time that I get in my car to go somewhere...

I agree that ICTP is not the best, but it is better than what was in the RRS and D3 that I had previously.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

I don't have a D5 anymore, and the "3G" was one of the reasons I traded it in.

But what's the problem in taking your phone along ? I use it every trip for FLITZMEISTER,
    to keep the fines in check..

I got a dash support at € 11,95 and a USB-C cable that hooks up magneticly, so no fiddling at all.
    Its only a matter of seconds to put the phone in the holder and let the magnet do its work.

Then you can still use ICTP, no cost to change a module.

Its virtually impossible to change the module.

In the "old days" when I had a D3, there was a guy who had figures out to wipe the EPROM (memory) of the phone module and reprogram it so even now it still accepts the latest phones. JLR sais back then it could not be done (2012..).

But of course its a risk : you might brick the coms module.

What I heard sofar is that systems are integrated soo much, its impossible to do this anymore.

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • jungle42
    Luxembourg 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I'm in the same boat as Nebc, also in Lux.
    I was told that 2G/Edge would be available until 2027 (or so). But what I don't know is, how well does Incontrol Remote work on the slower network? Will it be possible to use my actual carrier sim for traffic updates or will it be to slow?
    I know how to use the wifi hotspot, the question is, do I want to pay for the slower telematics or not?
    Apple Carplay is good for music, but I prefer the ICTP Navigation by its look and feel, features etc.
    What I don't know: if I hook the car to my home wifi, remove the sim, will I be able to use Incontrol Remote or not?

MY17 HSE Luxury Corris Grey 3.0 si6 with Black Pack 21 inch
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

If you want to know : go to Germany. I first noticed this problem in 2020, when in Germany 3G was turned off completely. Then you fall back to 2G, witch is only maintained for pagers and stuff for doctors and other medical professionals, fire brigades etc. Its extremely slow since its intended for short messages.

But if you do not want to use your phone, just buy a 4G or 5G router with a simcard, prepaid data or such.

YOUTUBE :

These are intended to use in your home or on holidays, but you can simply install them in your car and link it with the car wifi.

Something like this. Unscrew the two standard antenna's , and put one or two in-car antenna's that you can glue on the inside of a window:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284683436168?ha...BMroqbr8Vg

Antenna with a in-car version like this :
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165589608598?ha...SwX1JhZG2f

D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

jungle42 wrote:
    I'm in the same boat as Nebc, also in Lux.
    I was told that 2G/Edge would be available until 2027 (or so). But what I don't know is, how well does Incontrol Remote work on the slower network? Will it be possible to use my actual carrier sim for traffic updates or will it be to slow?
    I know how to use the wifi hotspot, the question is, do I want to pay for the slower telematics or not?
    Apple Carplay is good for music, but I prefer the ICTP Navigation by its look and feel, features etc.
    What I don't know: if I hook the car to my home wifi, remove the sim, will I be able to use Incontrol Remote or not?

I’ve been having issues not being able to sync destinations (created in route planner on iPad in the house on the wifi ) with the car. I’ve often had to redo the destination details in the car again.

I have however been able to contact the car to lock/unlock/start engine/review journeys and all the other functions on the iremote app.

I eventually realised my 24month data sim had expired and am now able to sync destinations from route planner with car.

I am not sure why the route planner apparently wouldn’t work on WIFi without the sim and the iremote functions worked ok.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

There are two simcards :

- one linked to secure and OTA updates of firmware;

- another in the centre console, linked to maps / traffic info;

Beats me why. Costs for data are neglectable..

• Aldo
    United Kingdom 

nebc100 wrote:
    Hello,

Put back SIM card tonight and switched data on. It shows as 4G on the display?

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum