Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• fmb123
    United Kingdom 

Any Disco Commercial owners with experience of the A9?

I have a Disco 5 Commercial, which is my first commercial vehicle.

I understand the speed limit differs with commercials (70 on M/W, 60 on Dual C, and 50 on Single C) which I can live with even though a bit annoying (if caught).

I am due to go up to Aberlour in Scotland on Thursday which means 2 hours of average speed cameras on the A9. What I am wondering is are average speed cameras on the A9 set to pick up vehicles going over 60 on the single carriage ways and over 70 on the dual carriage way sections. Or will the cameras recognise that I am a commercial vehicle from my plate and therefore require me to stick to the 10 mph lower limit?

I know it is only going to add 20 odd minutes but good to know! And may make taking the scenic route across the Cairngorns more tempting!
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

It will know from your plate and send out tickets accordingly as will any camera that records your number plate including camera vans.
  • gavsta

This ties into a conversation I had, about motorhomes, such as the VW California, having an exemption from the normal speed limit restrictions, that goods vehicles, such as a Transit are subject.

Interestingly, my Transit driving gardener didn't know goods vehicles had different speed limits!

He's never had a ticket through from any type of speed camera or camera van, despite driving at car speed limits. Make of that what you will...
  • gavsta

I've been informed this is an active topic on the VW California forums, with different speed limits between factory motorhomes and converted commercial vans.

Due to the level of customisation available, the latter are very popular, however, they are subject to the lower speed limit for goods vehicles. Owners report being caught by a variety of speed cameras.

Sounds like my gardener has just been lucky.

The A9 is notorious for enforced speed limits. After all, a few Chief Inspectors/Constables have, themselves, fallen foul.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I drive up and down the A9 - Perth to Inverness, regularly, to my other residence.

There is no definitive guide to who gets caught for what. It’s all here-say stories. They are very hot on road works in particular. If you’re out by a couple of mph, then expect a fixed penalty. I’ve heard tell that they run the days recordings through a computer in conjunction with automatic number plate recognition, so I’d imagine the speed for the type of vehicle is all automated.

They also have camera vans and vascar patrols out in addition to the average speed cameras.

I just stick to the limit and put the car on cruise control. Saves any worry about getting anything in the post at a later date,

Think it’s £100 and 3 penalty points, no option in Scotland for a course. Also if it’s a higher speed, it’s a report straight to the Procurator Fiscal.

Wouldn’t take a chance tbh.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum