Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

D300 HSE - FastLaneJB

Hey, so I've got the car! I'd say at last but compared to the wait some are having to go through this was pretty quick so that's not fair.

Just a few quick pics as the weather is awful and it's bloody freezing, at least for the southern guy like me Wink

And one of the all leather dash though I'll do some better ones soon but hopefully gives an idea.

Only done about 50 miles but some initial quick thoughts:

Ride comfort on 20's vs 21's is nicely improved. This is closer to my BMW now than it was on 21's down crappy B roads so happy I downsized the rims from the defaults.

Seat massage in the BMW was back and seat though I'd mostly only use it on my back, this one is only back but it's far better than what BMW offers. Really quite impressed with this.

The auto start / stop is just a level beyond any previous cars. The BMW had a cool trick in that it would use the forward facing radar so when a car infront of you moved off it would restart the engine at that point as likely you're about to move forwards as well. Disco doesn't do this it seems but it just doesn't need to because it restarts so damn quickly, far quicker than the BMW did.

Bit over 600 miles of range on a single tank, witchcraft and close to double what a V12 petrol could do Smile Still similar money to fill it up though. 35mpg on first trip without any special effort but obviously not booting it.

Still surprised / impressed at just how silent it is in the car. Maybe the BMW ruined it by piping V12 engine noises through the speakers but at cruising speeds you'd not really here the V12 at all. It still seems more enclosed off to the world than the BMW did which is impressive. Maybe it's the tight water seals for wading that do it, who knows.

Don't see where you can view what version of Pivi Pro the car has but seems it's not 3.0 as Wireless Carplay wasn't kicking in. This worked on the loaner Disco off the bat. Sure it'll get that pushed out soon but if not can ask dealer to update it when it goes in for Dash Cam. They did update it before I got it but have a feeling they just don't have the v3.0 update yet themselves to put onto cars directly. No big deal. Carplay works with a wire but I'll be trying Pivi Pro nav for a while to see how good (Or bad) it is.

Oh and the wind sure does have a bigger effect on you when you're sat up in the clouds vs a saloon. Obvious of course but I'm new to this SUV lark. Really strong winds today though.
      Got a funnel to pour diesel in from a jerry can. You don't get these with a saloon Smile

The manual I think is wrong around USB ports in the car. If you look in that they are all USB C other than one USB A, including a USB C in the boot which seemed stupid as in the boot you'd want V12 for things like a tyre inflator. However, it is a V12 socket in the boot, one in the middle row along with 2 x USB C, 1 x USB A on the floor and 2 x USB A in the seat backs. This seems a much better split than the 1 x V12 and 1 x USB A the manual suggests you'd have.

Based on the VIN the car is a MY22 build so maybe one of the last ones.

One bad thing but the parcel shelf storage thing is a bit poor. Seems if you put it the wrong way it kind of gets a bit crushed as the rear seats go up. Real shame they couldn't have got this under the floor like some other makes do (Think the X7 does)

Where do people store the wheel locking nut? At the moment it's in one of the glove boxes but feels like would be better safely in the rear away from all the makeup my wife will likely stuff in the glove boxe. However, doesn't seem a sensible place other than the little under the boot bit but I imagine it would rattle around on it's own.

Oh and I've got a Ring 12V powered tyre inflator and that fits perfectly under the little floor bit in the rear. Almost like it was made for it. Very Happy

Would take a while to run it in but going on the NC500 just before Xmas to get the job done seeing as I don't do any miles for work anymore. Will then be able to report back to you on the VMax performance while towing a 3 ton caravan on the M1 with a D300 engine is like Twisted Evil
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Looks very nice. What do you think of the HUD? I have had to delete that off my order annoyingly.
    I have also gone for the Latau Bronze looks a good colour. I do like the wheels on yours I have stuck with 21s on mine.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

I’m a big fan of HUD’s (Probably be around 10 years I’ve had cars with them and misses also has s HUD in her car) as they do just make it that much nicer / safer in my eyes. It’s not as good as a BMW HUD as I think they kind of lead here but it’s got speed, speed limit display, lane assist and directions that you can have up there. Directions only show near turnings.

I know also from my half-day at LR experience that in a different drive mode it would show vehicle tilt and such.

It’s clear, had a Mercedes one in the past that was just slightly blurry in my opinion. I suspect the latest S class one though is amazing.

Shame you cannot have it. On the plus side the digital dash, assuming you're not pushed to analog there also is good and reasonably configurable.

It's a shame dropping a wheel size doesn't save any money or it didn't in my case. I'm not too tied up on huge rims and even less so on an SUV as they I think more naturally look good with lots of rubber. On smooth roads you'll not notice much to any difference between 21 and 20 but they crash more on pothole covered or poor tarmac. Other reason I went 20's is just in case I want some all terrain tyres.

Colour is nice for sure. Not my normal as I’ve mostly had shades of blue or a white car but nice to try something different.

I’ll go out in a bit to pick the misses up and also get to test the matrix headlights and also have a look at the interior lighting. I notice that the matrix headlights looked to be an option hidden away in Pivi Pro and are off by default so anyone with a newer car that hasn’t looked into the settings could be missing out.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Let us know when your up north. Iam there at the moment. It isn’t the place to be, particularly with a new car and caravan. This is the NC500 today, untreated.

• FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Wow. Yeah I’m wondering about my tyres to be honest. I noticed the ones on the car do at least have a M+S rating so shouldn’t be god awful but some All Terrian’s with 3 peaks of course would be better. Won’t have a caravan though.

Also my son is bringing his 2002 I think it is Audi A3 3.2 litre so he can tow me back when I breakdown. Laughing
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Well, just be prepared for coarse weather. It was 1 degree today with a biting wind and visibility was very low.

You might strike it lucky, on the other hand you might not. The NC500 has a lot of single track roads. When they are iced up, you just need one moments distraction and you’re off into the ditch. I’d give it a miss from now until March/April, but it’s your decision.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Well all the hotels are booked but basically we've cut it down to 100 miles a day (Other than the massive south to Inverness run and back on first and last day). Plan would be to get up at crack of dawn to give us the most daylight possible and just take it easy. Ideally, see a few sights but obviously not if visibility is poor. If it's really bad then will call it off but just have to see I guess.

What tyres are you running on your Disco for this?
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Just the factory Pirelli’s M&S. They do me just fine. Been in some tricky situations, but not of my making, Whilst the Disco can manage fine, it’s the other prats on the road that end up screwing things up and if they block the road, it doesn’t matter how or what you drive, you’re stuck behind them and can’t move.

Last edited by Darras on 5th Aug 2023 3:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Yeah, good point on others maybe blocking the road for you. Well as long as it’s not too bad I’m sure it’ll be an experience. Looking forward to some peace and quiet with hopefully some lovely views.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Same colour as mine, I really like it and find that it is very good on fuel compared with the MY7 I had.
    As for software, I would have though the dealer should have put the latest on during PDI. You can check what version you are on, from memory push the settings cog, then scroll down to software update and select that, try to update and if it wont it will tell you what version you are on.
    My matrix lights were on from the start, very good but take a bit of getting used to, I don't think they are as quick as I would like at returning to full beam.
    When you say about storing the parcel shelf, where do you store it as haven't found that.?

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Did a bit of a trip to my parents today and got around 36mpg again both ways. In places crept up to 38mpg but there's just too many roundabouts and such. I'd expect on a long motorway run with less slowing down, stopping and starting it should break the 40mpg marker.

On this same journey I'd get around 22mpg out of my V12 BMW when taking it easy as well. Best I ever got on that car on a motorway run was around 28mpg but that was in Eco Pro where it coasts some of the time as well. Shame the disco doesn't seem to coast as that might have added a mpg or so to it's scores but I'm guessing it doesn't so it can charge the small battery so in reality maybe it wouldn't make a difference.

It's definitely not on OS 3 as when I plug my cable in, use Carplay and change to a CarPlay based Sat Nav the icons on Pivi Pro for Nav still go back to Pivi Pro's nav. Whereas on 3.0 it'll go to the CarPlay nav by default then until you pick Pivi's Nav from the App screen. This is what I see when looking at software updates and was told they did update it in PDI only if they did they obviously do not have 3.0 available to them to update it to that.

Connected it to WiFi yesterday when it's parked on my drive but no update this morning. If it's not updated by the time it needs to go in for the Dash Cam I'll ask if they can do it then.

Need to look at the manual but cannot see how to get it to route me home. It asked for my home address, I put it in and then it vanishes. I used voice to say "Go to Home" and that worked but cannot for the life of me see a home button to push inside the Nav at a quick glance. I'd have thought it would have been obvious and pretty much always visible.

Also can you turn up the speed camera beeps? They are stupidly quiet and I worry it's like the nav where you need to turn the volume while it plays only they are so short plus rare that catching it at that time is pretty much impossible.

Russell wrote:
    My matrix lights were on from the start, very good but take a bit of getting used to, I don't think they are as quick as I would like at returning to full beam.
    When you say about storing the parcel shelf, where do you store it as haven't found that.?

Yeah so the matrix lights do seem to have more of a delay coming back on than BMW ones would. Maybe a bit more sensitive at disabling also. I'd get flashed on the BMW sometimes but normally when I did the full beams weren't even on, some people still seem to think LED low beam is a car with high beams on. Need more time on unlit roads on this one to fully make a call as just not used them enough.

You can put the parcel shelf here between the two recessed points at the very back end of the boot. The problem is if you put it one way and the flap you pull is pointing towards the front or not folded back over then the rear seats will crush / squash it as they come up. Also it does pretty much completely ruin using that tiny rear space for much once all seats are up as it's right in the way. It's better than nothing of course, just would have been better if they could have found some under floor space to fit it in.

Noticed today that I think I've got the 5011 wheels but ordered 5012. At least I think these are 5011. I'm not bothered as I like the look of these also to be honest. However, from the way it's put to me that if they don't have a part in, they'll either build it without or substitute it so they can keep making as many cars as possible. I guess they know if the customer rejects the car, they'd sell it anyway without issue. Seems like your build sheet is a bit of an advisory at the moment.
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

Regarding the pivi pro 3 update: you don't need to keep checking.

On mine, once it was available, it told me it was available at end of journey when stopping the engine.

Mystery though why it takes so long to rollout...
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Yeah sure it'll pop up soon though think it'll be going in on Wednesday for Dash Cam to be fitted so if not shown up by then I'll ask if they can put it on at the same time. It's not showing up this morning yet either. It's not a major pain to plug it in though ends up with a cable running over the cupholders if your putting your phone up front.

Worked out the Home thing on Pivi Pro. Had to put in a Work destination (I work from home so just put it to the train station in the end) and then Saved section shows up. That was missing before and seems you cannot have it until you tell it where you work, obviously unemployed, home workers and retired people need not apply Smile
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

No good for me. I don’t fit into any categories. I gave up working over 10 years ago, but not retired as such, well, State Pension anyway and I don’t get any benefits, so I am no drain on anyone.

Give up working, the earlier the better. I’ve got far better things to do with my time. It’s a mugs game. Thumbs Up
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Probably most people would love to take that advice but likely cannot sadly. Good job though pulling it off.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum