Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• jendave
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

LAUGH AT A NEWBIE.

Bare with me before you lol.
    I've seen 2 2017 D5's to upgrade from my D3.
    One is really clean and low mileage.. The other is not as clean inside or out and has had bad body repair but has a better spec.
    Can any of these be retro fitted and how good is the gap tool on these for activating functions and adding software?
    The spec'ed one has
    Digital tv
    Cooler box
    Park assist.
    Head up display

Neither have
    Adaptive cruise
    Or Digital Dash

I know it's a tall ask but if this forum is as good as the D3 one you clever folks will know what's
    achievable!

Thanks in advance.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Evening.

I can tell you that for the moment the IID cannot do much for the D5.

It CANNOT activate any feature/functions.

I have been waiting for them to sort this, and they have been promising that they will do it for the least 3 years.

I don't have much confidence!!

There are reports online about people getting features activated using cracked versions the the LR tools, but I cannot testify if this really works or not.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Digital dash was MY18, and adaptive cruise was MY18.5 or MY19 I believe.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

No... My D5 is the 405th off the production line and I have adaptive cruise control. Not an easy thing to retrofit though as you would require the radar module and wiring.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

The cooler box - buy a 12v one, will be much bigger and more useful and you can put it in the boot or back seat (if your car has 12v outlets in the 2nd row, or via longer cable from the boot).

Park assist - never used, if the space is tight it’s no doubt useless, the D5 is the easiest car I’ve ever parked anyway.

HUD - yes would miss that; but not at the expense of better condition and mileage.

If the condition and mileage difference is significant, I’d take the lower spec car all day long.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Oh. Digital TV. iPad for the passenger, or yourself when parked. 😃

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • jendave
    United Kingdom 

nebc100 wrote:
    No... My D5 is the 405th off the production line and I have adaptive cruise control. Not an easy thing to retrofit though as you would require the radar module and wiring.

I'm lead to believe that this one, the wiring is there. Plug in a radar, fit buttons to steering wheel and add software.
  • jendave
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    The cooler box - buy a 12v one, will be much bigger and more useful and you can put it in the boot or back seat (if your car has 12v outlets in the 2nd row, or via longer cable from the boot).

Park assist - never used, if the space is tight it’s no doubt useless, the D5 is the easiest car I’ve ever parked anyway.

HUD - yes would miss that; but not at the expense of better condition and mileage.

If the condition and mileage difference is significant, I’d take the lower spec car all day long.

Yes it's immaculate. The interior so much so that if you didn't know it was used you think you were sat in a brand new car!
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

I don't think anyone will be able to add new features such as adaptive cruise. It is not possible to change the options that are fitted.

If these features are important to you, I would keep looking until the right car came up for sale.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

It IS possible to activate certain options, but you need to have the LR software for it, and that is NOT cheap.

GAP say they are working on doing it, but they have been saying that for the last 3 years and don't seem to be making much progress.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Discus makes a good point, neither car has adaptive cruise and that’s a really valuable feature if you spend a lot of time on cruise control.

If you can live without adaptive cruise, I’d say go for the better condition car.

• JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The IID tool is so good on a D5 that I sold mine to a D3 owner. Rolling with laughter

Generally, retrofitting stuff to a D5 is impractical, expensive and difficult. Not quite impossible but usually easier and cheaper to buy a car that has the things you want instead.

Digital dash started with MY19 (68 plate) and the SD6 engine. Both are a good upgrade but also quite a lot more £££ for the newer car.

Park assist was crap. I turned it off and my new one doesn't have it at all.

Cooler box for me was a must. The early HUDs were rather primitive and not something that interested me. Digital TV no use to me as only the dog travels in the back. Laughing

If you want a D5 with specific options, You really need to buy one with what you want rather than trying to 'mod' one unless you really like a project for the challenge.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • gavsta

May be worth checking out https://lr-retrofits.co.uk/l462-discovery

The best place for examples, is Instagram. Amazes me what they've been doing: https://instagram.com/lr_retrofits
  • Scottlw
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

JonM wrote:

Digital dash started with MY19 (68 plate) and the SD6 engine. Both are a good upgrade but also quite a lot more £££ for the newer car.

I have digital dash on a 18 plate TDV6. When i was looking this did seem more common on SDV6, but there are some TDV6 with it.
  • jendave
    United Kingdom 

So, better condition car is coming. Collect it on Friday pm. We can manage without the options for now and will see how we get on. Cheers for the advice everyone. I'm of to pick and avatar 😂😂😂
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum