Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

More climate activists

Climate activists have deflated the tyres of sports utility vehicles (SUVs) to protest against their higher emissions of greenhouse gases and other air pollutants.

A new group calling itself “the Tyre Extinguishers” claimed to have “disarmed” about 500 vehicles last night in Chelsea, Chiswick, Harley Street, Hampstead Heath, Notting Hill, Belgravia and Clapham in London, as well as Brighton, Bristol, Cambridge, Sheffield, Liverpool and Edinburgh.

Sussex police said it had received “multiple reports from the Brighton area from members of the public who found the tyres on their cars had been deflated”.

I live in one of the areas mentioned.

It seems it is unclear whether this is a criminal offense - surely it should be?

They apparently have no concern for whether they are impacting emergency workers cars, vulnerable drivers or even whether they are hybrid or EV

SInce modern LR are better for the environment than many older vehicles of all sorts this activity seems to be more directed by envy/spite than genuine concern for the climate

LR doesn't help by having a "D300" badge on the rear of my MY 2022, but no MHEV badge. Which I think is very strange.

Possible mitigations, accepting that nothing is guaranteed especially if (some of) them are still targeting EV/Hybrid vehicles:

The D300 badge always caused me irritation because it was out of alignment. It is attached with double-sided sticky tape so I have now removed it.

I have ordered a very neat looking "HSE Hybrid" badge from ebay to go in its place.. The sort of badge LR should have provided in the first place

It is possible to get a green (EV) "UK" sticker from Amazon to go on the number plates. I decided against this because I don't like the deceit and it is unclear whether this is unlawful, even if it is a defence against criminals

I carry a high capacity tyre pump

I have front and rear cameras and if affected I will press for criminal charges.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

These muppets even let down the tyres on a merc eqc, which is fully electric.

Just shows how ignorant and Blinkered they are

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I their eyes it's size that matters! Rolling with laughter

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum