Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Keith
    United Kingdom 
    2021 Discovery Td6 SE Santorini Black

Driving in France

Hello
    seen a couple of posts that relate to driving in france. As i have LED lamps, am i required to purchase additional LED modules as the law requires me to carry spare bulbs?

Keith

Last edited by Keith on 28th Apr 2022 3:08 pm. Edited 1 time in total

keith
    D5 R-Dynam SE D300 MY21, 21" Wheels, Sant Black, and a reasonable selection of toys.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

If you read the manual, it say this:

The headlights have a beam pattern that eliminates the need to mechanically adjust the lights or add any external stick-on decals.
  • Keith
    United Kingdom 

Driving in France

nebc100

Many thanks for the responce, but that's not what was asked. the law in France requires spare bulbs, so do inned to purchase LED modules, or is the law outdated given the advance in technology?

Keith

keith
    D5 R-Dynam SE D300 MY21, 21" Wheels, Sant Black, and a reasonable selection of toys.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Are the led modules even replaceable? I have a suspicion that it’s a whole headlamp unit if one gives up the ghost.

Interesting question though. Carrying two full headlamp units is quite an investment and a space hog. I suspect the law has not caught up but don’t hold me to that…

MY23 (2022) D300 SE R-Dynamic Eiger Grey, Tow Pack, Matrix Headlights and a few other options
    Gone: 2018 HSE 3.0 tdv6 Santorini black
  • Keith
    United Kingdom 

B50int
    I agree, the law is outdated, may just by standared cheap bulbs.... after all, it says nothing about them having to fit your car....

Keith

keith
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Sorry... misunderstood your question.

No... LED bulbs (as in the D5) are not replaceable.

You cannot carry spares.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Sorry... misunderstood your question.

No... LED bulbs (as in the D5) are not replaceable.

You cannot carry spares.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Useful to know this, as I'm driving to Italy this summer... what about the drink driving thing, did I read you have to carry a breathalyser in your car? If so, if your t-total do you still need to? (cos that would be absurd!)

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • JBFUK
    United Kingdom 

Yes, you need to carry a breathalyser if passing through France at least. Needs to be certified by the French authorities. Funny because there's no penalty for not having one - but probably best to have them to avoid any aggregation or extortion attempts. You can buy a 2-pack of disposable single-use tests for a few pounds on Amazon.

No doubt somebody involved in introducing this rule has a friend, relative or associate who owns a factory Very Happy

There are also other rules like a reflective jacket that is within reach without exiting the vehicle. Not sure whether that's just for the driver or one for each occupant. We carry one for each person just in-case. The spare bulb thing, for bulbs that are user replaceable.

I believe there's now a 'Clean Air' scheme which requires your car to display a sticker to enter certain zones in cities. I don't know much about this but will need to investigate before heading down to southern France in September.
  • Keith
    United Kingdom 

Driving in France

Hi
    Latest legislation says the requirement for a breatherlizer have been dropped as if this year.

keith
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

This what you might need...

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • nigels888
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

unfortunately you cant change the bulbs it is a whole new unit. a headlight will set you back £1600 and if done by landrover costs £2500 as they have to take the bumper off apparently. this applies if an indicator goes out as well as it is integrated in the headlight unit. fortunately mine was covered under warranty
  • Keith
    United Kingdom 

France

jimbg wrote:
    This what you might need...

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/

Thank you fr this, useful and have ordered one.

Keith

keith
  • JBFUK
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Keith that's really useful. It isn't quite clear whether certain zones restrict access to vehicles with a certain rating - at the moment I can only make out that older vehicles without a sticker are unable to access restricted areas.

Good to know regards the breathalysers too. Will save me replacing the out of date pack in my glovebox.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I beleive that if air quality is low in a particular period then entry is restricted for some of the "higher number" stickers.

i have a sticker but have never seen any signs referencing it's use. Never had a problem so far! Thumbs Up

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum