Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Longmanh
    United Kingdom 

Looking for a used D5

Evening all,

So after looking through this forum for a while and trying to carry out as much research as possible before jumping into a D5, I wanted to pick your brains if I may?

I'm on the lookout for a 2018/2019 D5 HSE Lux Dynamic with HUD, 360 and Adaptive dynamics.
    Preferential colour would be blue, grey or black.
    Budget up to around 53k.

Now it seems almost impossible (I found 1) to find a car with adaptive dynamics on both Autotrader and LR approved.
    Trying to even find a car with 360 surround cameras and HUD also seems to be extremely difficult.

My questions are;
    - I enjoy spirited driving on occasion so the adaptive dynamics does sound great but is it a deal breaker? Is the car really that much more unstable when pushing on?
    - I've had surround cameras in previous cars and to be honest, never actually used them I don't think. I just use mirrors and my eyes and so far have done ok.
    - I'm trying to buy LR approved but if I venture outside of this and purchase from an independent garage, will it be very difficult to get an LR extended warranty? I understand they need to inspect the car.

I think that's about it but if I think of anything else, I'll pop it up.

Thanks in advance for any info or guidance as it will definitely help with my decision making.
    Thumbs Up

Last edited by Longmanh on 15th Mar 2023 8:32 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Forget it, buy a Volvo XC60 T8 hybrid. Far superior in every way, more goodies than you can think of and has more power than you can ever handle.
  • Longmanh
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for that Darras but not really what I was looking for.

If I was to be considering a different vehicle, it would be the Cayenne.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I don't believe my 2018MY has Adaptive Dynamics, and I've had some pretty spirited drives across the Highlands, from Rannoch Moor to Uig on Skye, often in the early hours, and never had an issue. You can't miss what you don't have, but to me the D5 has always been lovely to drive.

Surround cameras on such a big car are useful at times. A reversing camera is a must, but I recently encountered this bridge in Marlow, and there is little chance I'd have gotten over it cleanly without the Drive Assist cameras. I mean, I've been over narrow bridges before, but this was taking the chronic p*ss.

I haven't had the HUD, but did on an M5 years ago... Nice feature, but far more useful & important is the interactive driver display (the full digi dash), and I wouldn't ever want a car without it again... I'd take a car with that over HUD any day.

Can't comment on the other points, but I hope you find your motor! If you do, come back and let us know...

Vovlos are lovely, but an XC60 Hybrid isn't even comparable on boot space, so don't think that's a fair comparison at all. An XC90 perhaps... but you said you wanted a LR!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Longmanh
    United Kingdom 

That's really helpful info, thank you.

I know exactly which bridge in Marlow you're referring to and it's absolutely awful. I will actually use another route which is slightly longer to avoid it Laughing

Luckily all the cars I'm looking have the interactive display and reversing camera. I really miss a reversing camera on our Cayenne at the moment.

The XC90 has never been a consideration to be honest. I like cars with grunt, luxury and refinement but I don't feel the XC90 has much of this.
    I'm 6'5" and need a comfortable seating position, especially when my wife and I drive down to Portugal.

I'm set on a Disco as I believe it meets my requirements nicely;
    Big enough boot to fit my bike in (and sleep in if I wish), luxury, refinement and relatively quick.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Love the idea of road trips to Portgual... 6ft 3" here, with multiple back/hip issues, and we took ours to the bottom of Italy last summer... and it was sooooooooooooo nice to drive! And comfortable! Even with four of us on board...

https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread3448.html

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Longmanh
    United Kingdom 

Ah yes, I remember reading your thread a few weeks ago, great read.

We love driving everywhere. You can stop where you want, stay where you want and in your own personal space.
    The 2013 Cayenne S we currently have is exceptionally comfortable and relatively frugal. The 100L ank is great for covering long distances, one thing I'll miss as I believe the Disco is 85. Although 15L isn't a huge difference tbh.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

100L... wow, I never knew! With 85L on the long runs, you do have to stop a couple of times a day!

• Longmanh
    United Kingdom 

Yeah we stop a few times during the day but it's nice not to have to worry about refuelling for nearly around 1000km.

The most we had from a tank was circa 1200km which I thought was very good.

So have you had many niggles with your car?
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Can you ask me in a few weeks, when back from a run to the Outer Hebrides, don't want to tempt fate!

(but to-date and 45k miles, it's been a very good car to me).

First LR was a D4 ex-demo in 2010, and it was horrendous for reliability. Second D4 in 2015 was faultless. And then the current motor...

That range sounds tres impressive btw!

• Longmanh
    United Kingdom 

Ha absolutely.

Have a great time.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

My D5 has just about everything except adaptive and RSE. I find the HUD superb and allows driving without losing forward view of the road, comfort is good ( I,m on 20's with AT3's) handling more than adequate, good fuel consumption ( sometimes averaging nearly 40mpg driving in the Lake District) reverse camera good, though it needs constant rear wash for clear view, reverse lights are crap, looking to augment without cutting into loom. 360 cameras very handy at times. Trailer assist, take it or leave it, I can reverse without it so dont use it, Not tried the auto park yet, rear active diff is seamless when it kicks in and has proved its worth. never tried my activity key so cant comment. love the heated steering wheel, heated cooled seats also appreciated, rear aircon good for the dogs , Sound system is awesome, even the TV comes in handy. All in all I'm very happy with my D5, but I still fork out for extended warranty..just in case!!! Forgot to mention its the 3 litre V6 , I don't believe the 2 litre 4 pot is up to the job..

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Longmanh
    United Kingdom 

That's great information, thank you.

RSE = rear seat entertainment correct? I thought all Lux's had these?

Did you buy the car new and then extend the warranty or did you purchase it used from a main dealer?

Do you ever wish you had gone for the adaptive dynamics or not?

And I completely agree that for me personally the 4 pot is a little underpowered.
  • TollerMurphy
    United Kingdom 
    2020 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Mine is HSE Lux MY20 3SDV6 in carpathian grey with almond interior which I prefer as it lifts the cabin. It has HUD and adaptive dynamics, 360 and lots of other toys.

I thought HUD was a gimmick but find it really useful. Adaptive dynamics, I’m not so sure if it makes a difference but then I don’t do spirited driving (does anyone in a D5?). Can get around 38mpg on longer journeys. The car is supremely comfortable and the 3L a well suited engine.

It’s a big car so 360 is useful. I preferred my D3 for parking as the boxy shape made it a doddle. I rarely use auto park, though find it helps pulling out of parallel parking spot when boxed in. I don’t tow so not tried the fancy tow system. Massage seats are surprisingly good and rear air con is great for the dogs.

You def need warranty cover, ideally LR approved but others are on the market. I’ve had problems with battery and leaking windscreen, which appear to be common, to the extent I may reject it. High tech car so lots to go wrong. Not gone off road so not tried the ATPC.
  • Longmanh
    United Kingdom 

You've spec'd your car nicely and I haven't seen an almond interior on my search yet. Nice alternative to the usual colours.
    Sorry to hear about those issues, hopefully there's no more on the horizon.

Thanks for your comments though, very helpful.

The warranty is probably the only thing putting me off buying through an independent garage.
    I think with a Landy you need an LR warranty from what I've read.

If I do decide to go through an indie, I'll suggest paying for the LR assessment and if they agree to the extended warranty, I'll take the car.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum