Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Andrzej
    Poland 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

What is it with LR engines?

Hi All,

New to the Disco5 forum, I have been on the Disco4 group several years before.

My past D4 with roughly 180kkm died because of an engine seizure. I had the engine replaced for another used from a donor, as rebuild of LR engines are not possible. Took 9 months for that procedure, needless to say, I had to get another car in the mean time, and after all, I sold the D4 off as quickly as I could.

Recently I ended up with a '19 D5, and with 60kkm on the clock, the engine needs to be replaced! Luckily under guarantee, took 2 months at the dealer, zero charge, luckily.

But here is the question. Being a brand supporter, what is it with LR engines? For me it is 2 for 2. I thought I keep the D5 longer, but now consider how much of a hazard it is gambling whether your engine goes or not? Not so sure. Never had engine seizure problems on any other cars I owned.

Does not seem any of the new LR / RR models are immune to this problem, any thoughts?

past: '09 D4 HSE TDV6 Navy Blue
    present; '19 D5 HSE SD4 Corris Grey Dynamic, other: BMW F10 M5, BMW R1200GSA, BMW 118i, Can-Am Outlander, KTM 530EXC
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Its a lot more common than LR would like us to believe. The D5 if a v6 would have the same engine as the D4 so no surprises there apart from the D4 getting to 180k before giving up.. Sadly it was a Ford engine that ford saw the shortcomings of a long time ago.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

It’s a risk.

You really have to have potentially deep pockets to run one past the manufacturers warranty tbh.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I see you have the SD4 engine in your D5, I have always regarded the 4 pot engine as being overstressed on the D5, The V6 by virtue of being quite an old engine seems to suffer less now than when in D3 and D4, however there are instances of failures in the D5.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

I predict D5s will be worse when age catches up with them as they stupidly upped the HP . Obviously the 4 pots have their own inherent issues totally different to the 6 pot ones. Not sure if the six cylinder Ingeniums will have the 4 cylinder issues yet.
  • Andrzej
    Poland 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

harrythespider wrote:
    I see you have the SD4 engine in your D5, I have always regarded the 4 pot engine as being overstressed on the D5, The V6 by virtue of being quite an old engine seems to suffer less now than when in D3 and D4, however there are instances of failures in the D5.

True, I had my doubts as well, I even doubled on the oil changes as I did not believe 34kkm interval is right for the car. Still. ! I see now the SDD4 is removed from specification for the new model year. Does it mean that JLR is dropping this engine?

past: '09 D4 HSE TDV6 Navy Blue
    present; '19 D5 HSE SD4 Corris Grey Dynamic, other: BMW F10 M5, BMW R1200GSA, BMW 118i, Can-Am Outlander, KTM 530EXC
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum