Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 4x4newbie
    United Kingdom 

Stalling Car & Poor Service From Leeds Dealer

Hi All hope you're all well,
    so our car has an issue. It stalls often, especially when cold. If we turn the radio on and heating on full soon as we get in that seems to affect it and it struggles to move when you press the accelerator, then when we turn these off it's like the car gets more power to drive. It's only first thing in morning first time being used.

I think it's been building for 12 months plus now as I mentioned it seemed sluggish last year. It stalled 2 weeks ago as I was on a main busy junction. It's like when you first start up after overnight being parked it struggles to power all the stuff like radio, heater and car, we'd put it in reverse to go out the drive and nothing would happen when you put your foot down. It's stalled a dozen times in the past 3 months mainly in the morning when first started after an overnight.

So we booked it into Vertu in Leeds last month as we pay £100 a month for the official warranty. They cancelled night before other week so we had to re-arrange our plans etc as it's a good hours drive. So we finally get it in this week after complaining as they said it would be 2 months and the car stalled on a junction so kind of dangerous with kids in the car, we dropped it off last night.

Today I get a vehicle health check video which we can't hear and seems to just go over all things not what we sent it in for.

Then we have a call saying to find the fault the tests would cost £1,400 and they would not know if this would find the fault or if it's under the warranty we pay for. Have to say I do feel they are taking the pee a little and seem out for as much as they can for the sake of it. Before it went in last year for a window check and we get call saying needs new brake oil and tracking. I just think it's very suspicious.

Looking at reviews they seem to be very very poor and I do question the validity of what they say. Surely they would have an idea on the issue rather then just run loads of tests to hope to get lucky.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

If its a 2.0l Sd4 sounds like the often reported issue of loss of compression on 1 or more cylinders requiring a new engine. It amazes me that the dealers still trot out the never heard it before when they know full well what the likely issue is.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • 4x4newbie
    United Kingdom 

It's a 208 2 litre SD4 HSE if that helps.
  • 4x4newbie
    United Kingdom 

So is it a known fault? If so hopefully the official warranty will cover it. Any more info on it thanks? So it could mean a new engine?
  • Whippetman
    England 

I’m afraid it does sound like it’s the well known fault of low compression in two of the cylinders in the 2 L engine.
    Exactly like mine
    Stalls in reverse and in forward , just lack of response.
    It will get gradually worse.
    I was told by the Somerset Main dealer that it was completely safe to drive after diagnosis .
    Really just a very seriously dangerous fob off for their benefit .

I refused to drive the vehicle and persuaded LR Assist to collect the car and leave it with the supply dealer,
    They were unable to replace the engine there due to lack of skilled technicians so it was then shipped down to a Devon dealership who managed to replace the engine under warranty however when I collected the car and drove it back about 80 miles the low coolant warning light soon appeared and it had to be returned to Devon by LR assist as apparently they hadn’t tightened up the correct nut.
    Vehicle was transported in a covered recovery truck as apparently LR don’t like people to see broken down LR vehicles travelling down M5!
    Hassle behind belief which was one illustration why I will never buy another LR new or used.

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • 4x4newbie
    United Kingdom 

Dealer in Leeds wants to charge £1,400 for tests to find the issue.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Maybe try RAC/A A or similar to do a technical report for you probably better and less expensive.

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

4x4newbie wrote:
    Dealer in Leeds wants to charge £1,400 for tests to find the issue.

Are you sure thats not £140 it seems to be standard practice as its a requirement before a warranty claim to pay for diagnosis.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Whippetman wrote:
    Maybe try RAC/A A or similar to do a technical report for you probably better and less expensive.
    They dont have the same level of diagnostic capability as a dealer. Warranty will still require a dealer diagnosis which they charge for.
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

It is frustrating when LR dealers don't do the same thing. £1400 for diagnosis is a ridiculous fee. You could strip half the engine for that and put it back together again.

On warranty work I've had done the diagnostic fee (usually an hours labour) is only charged if it isn't a warranty job, but to be fair you know pretty much before if it's really a wear and tear item.

LR need to have amore consistent procedure in place with all dealers for this stuff. It's not rocket science and would save an awful lot of grief.

On a slightly separate note, does anyone know what actually causes the 2.0L engine in the D5 to lose compression?
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

With my warranty, I had to pay for the diagnosis which was subsequently added to the claim value after it was validated. I would only expect to actually pay it if the claim
    Is rejected. Would agree with others that it seems to be a £140 flat fee.

Which Leeds dealer? If you are coming from Lancashire, I have always found the Guiseley one to be very good. Main problem recently seems to be actually getting booked in.

MY23 (2022) D300 SE R-Dynamic Eiger Grey, Tow Pack, Matrix Headlights and a few other options
    Gone: 2018 HSE 3.0 tdv6 Santorini black
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Popsdosh wrote:
    Whippetman wrote:
    They dont have the same level of diagnostic capability as a dealer. Warranty will still require a dealer diagnosis which they charge for.

They didn’t charge me for a diagnostic when I presented my car with 2 noises while on warranty. They DID say over the phone when booking it in that it would be 2 diagnostics = £280 for the two noises…but when it came to it, they didn’t charge me anything. Whether it went on the JLR bill behind the scenes I cannot say.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Popsdosh wrote:
    Whippetman wrote:

They didn’t charge me for a diagnostic when I presented my car with 2 noises while on warranty. They DID say over the phone when booking it in that it would be 2 diagnostics = £280 for the two noises…but when it came to it, they didn’t charge me anything. Whether it went on the JLR bill behind the scenes I cannot say.

On a separate note. When I had my D4 I had a fault develop that my Indy garage diagnosed for free. Because they had trouble doing this repair some years earlier on another car they declined to do it on mine, saying it would be more expensive than the main dealers fixed price.

The reason was that despite it being a 1/2day job according to JLR schedule, the Indy took well over a day due to difficulties. He suggested I take it to the main dealer and tell them the AA had diagnosed the problem as ‘xxx” and if the dealer diagnosed it also as “xxx” then I wouldn’t be paying their diagnostic fee as `I had told them before the event what the problem was!

It actually worked! They did the repair (it took them also a more than a day) but as they had given a fixed price quote according to JLR 1/2 day pricing, that’s what I paid and no diagnostic charge!
  • 4x4newbie
    United Kingdom 

They wanted £1,400 in test costs, trust me it wasn't £140. Reading the reviews of them I've got my car back and will take elsewhere.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Not sure they will let you have your car back if you dont pay for what they have done so far . Thats what happened with mine when moved to a different dealer.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum