Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Peter91
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Shocking infotainment operability + QA/QC opportunity

First post guys, glad to be part of the forum.

Picked up my first every Discovery (HSE Lux 3.0TD6) over 9 weeks ago now and I am absolutely loving the spec, colour (Namib) and presence of the vehicle and a joy to drive. Tremendous engine and gearbox.

However, I am absolutely shocked at the faulty operability of the infotainment system (see further below) and the lack of QA/QC. For the latter, my car managed to come out of the factory, through the dealership and onto the customer with a different interior passenger door panel colour/trim compared to the rest of the other doors (it is a slight, but noticeable shade darker and a different texture of material around the door panel armrest). I only noticed this some weeks after and not as easy to spot if not paying attention.

The infotainment system has too numerous faults to describe (freezing up, home page defaulting, sat nav operates sometimes, blank screen when reversing, DVD player erratically chooses to play or not, slow, the rear screens go extremely bright within 10secs of doors opening, the default to on all the time (& show off when still on), etc. etc.). It basically looks as if the whole PLC system has a bug and requires reboot/replacement.

To say I am unimpressed is an understatement, and even more hacked off at the lack of feedback and plan forward from the dealer and JLR direct.

According to the dealer (Peter Vardy), after 3 days in their custody, the vehicle requires a software upgrade, but JLR according to them, haven't built the upgrade yet and could not tell me if this would take days, weeks or months. I received feedback from JLR that a case has been built for me, and I will be advised in due course..............................but no date as such to when the interior trim can be replaced.
    Sad

Anyone with similar horror stories out there??

FYI, I recently completed the North Coast 500 a few weeks back in the new D5 and it was awesome.

• J77
    Scotland 

Incontrol Pro has been a headache since it was introduced a couple of years back and JLR have still not sorted it out.

Peter Vardy, well I wouldn't expect anything less from them.

I'm on my 9th LR, 4th Discovery and I've only ever had 1 call to LR assist and that was for my D3, it eventually required a new engine at 2 years old luckily covered by the warranty. That was my first LR and the rest including the D5 have been fine.

LRs quality control is poor at times, Evoque owners suffered similar problems when it was launched, they did eventually get on top of things, when they get it right LRs are a dream to own but when they get it wrong, well just ask Road Runner 2017, he's had a rough time with his.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Peter91
    United Kingdom 

It's frustrating and we all have an inkling of expectancy that the more you pay for a car the better it should be.........but that's definitely not the case.

My 2014 RR Evoque Dynamic was absolutely flawless and had not one single issue with it (apart from a slow infotainment system). I hope LR sort it out.

Peter Vardy......5th amendment taken as well. No comment.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I am having a new Infotainment module fitted in a couple of weeks, hopefully this one will be better!! Whistle
  • Peter91
    United Kingdom 

Jim,

Do you mind if I ask if you had a lot of challenges with yours and did you drive that decision to change or was it JLR who advised?
    Just looking for evidence to support a new unit if need be.........I am hope common sense prevails and the right thing is done?!?!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Peter,

I had the screen go blank on several occasions and booked it in for that to be examined and a couple of trim issues.

They kept the car for 4 days running various tests that JLR asked them to perform and finally after seeing the fault at the dealership agreed to source a new unit.

Of course no replacement was available from JLR at the time. I had a phone call this week to say that had received one and it will be replaced on the 9th June when they have a loan car available.

To be honest since they carried out all their tests the car has been fine!!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum