Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• jjvd21
    United States 

Single piece tailgate question

When carrying long length loads how do you secure the D5 tailgate? Does the tailgate stop on a long load and remain locked and safe? Or do you tie it down?

I carried a tree in my D3 this past weekend, curious how it's accomplished in the D5.

Click image to enlarge
  • J77
    Scotland 

The tailgate can be set to open to various heights, but I haven't tried driving with anything sticking out.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Marmite tailgate.

Talking about tailgates, has anyone heard the rumour that the 2018 model is getting a facelifted rear end?? I would have thought it's far too early for a change, but apparently it's due to public demand?? Shocked
  • J77
    Scotland 

Yeah, the D4 lot have mentioned it.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Maybe they are jealous Rolling with laughter
  • RyanRC
    United States 

Re: Marmite tailgate.

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Talking about tailgates, has anyone heard the rumour that the 2018 model is getting a facelifted rear end?? I would have thought it's far too early for a change, but apparently it's due to public demand?? Shocked
    What do you think that means?

Is funny as at first I really didn't like the rear end on this car, but it grew on me.

Is different yes, but its hardly ugly and now I actually look at is as something that makes the D5 stand out from every other SUV as from the back you barely can tell the different between most of them.
  • dlks151
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Montalcino Red

For me the tailgate is not so much ugly, more so it's impractical.

All sites I work on insist on reverse parking and generally there's a post and rail fence behind us, with the D5 being as large as it is it takes up the entire parking bay, so to get into the back of the D5 it has to be driven forward by at least a metre then open the tailgate while standing to the side of the car so as not to trap yourself. With the D4 the top section always cleared the top rail of the fence so access wasn't an issue.
  • Jacko
    Australia 

I really wish the glass could be opened separately. In the Kluger I have its so practical. I use it all the time especially if I'm picking up the groceries. I am worried when in those underground carparks that I will have to put everything in the back seats just in case it hits the roof.

Road Runner where did you hear about the new back ends. Any specific articles or is it just rumour.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

It is just a rumour started by the D4 owners on the Disco4 site in the L462 section, which was where we all "lived" before the D5 was actually shipping.

Mostly populated now by doom mongers who dislike the D5 with a passion!! Rolling with laughter
  • RyanRC
    United States 

Jacko wrote:
    I really wish the glass could be opened separately. In the Kluger I have its so practical. I use it all the time especially if I'm picking up the groceries. I am worried when in those underground carparks that I will have to put everything in the back seats just in case it hits the roof.

Road Runner where did you hear about the new back ends. Any specific articles or is it just rumour.
    If what your talking about is how its causing a problem as its a one piece I'm kinda in the same boat.

This past Saturday I finally had one off I could go check out and drive the D5 at the dealer and was looking at that.

Currently my Blazer is a two piece and its really nice if I have stuff in the back and its the dead cold of winter or many other times to be able to not have to open my whole garage door just to grab something in the back as that allows that.

Also I notice that it looks like at a complete full opening the gate will hit the underside of my garages door frame.

I tried on the demo too as I was thinking about this for what it would be like if I tried to stop the powered lift gate in mid open and it does take a little bit of force and a few seconds of that before it figures out to stop, which could well enough make some kind of mark on the paint if not do more damage if it hit something metal. Also noticed that once it does that it does not reverse to close upon a second activation. The only way it ever wants to go back by the motors is once its been fully opened.

Was a bit worried about this until I saw I could swap out the motorized dampers for regular ones so at least I would not have to worry about it accidentally hitting the open door frame, or worse the closed one.

In the end it would be nice for it to have been a two piece, but in regards to how it looks I don't have a issue at all with that.

To note for at least most of the new SUV's I have been looking at they all seem to have gone the one piece way, so its not like you can get much that wouldn't be that same.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

TAILGATE OPENING HEIGHT

The maximum opening height for the tailgate can be set as required. Setting a maximum height is useful in parking areas with very low roofs, or just for ease of use.

To set the maximum opening height:

Open the tailgate to the position required as the maximum height. Press any tailgate release button to stop movement at the required position. The final position can be achieved manually, if required.

Make sure the tailgate is stationary for at least 3 seconds.

Press and hold the tailgate release button to set the required opening height. A long tone sounds as confirmation.

NOTES
    If the tailgate closes automatically, the required height has not been set. Repeat the process, making sure that all steps are adhered to.

Press the tailgate button to close the tailgate. Open the tailgate again to check that it opens to the required height.

Repeat the process to reset the maximum opening height. When the tailgate reaches its current programmed height, manually move it to the fully open position. Press and hold the button.

The tailgate may lose its position memory if there are multiple object detections, or if the battery voltage is low. Powered operation may also be inhibited.

To reset the tailgate:

Manually close the tailgate.

Press the tailgate release button.

Allow the tailgate to fully open or to the previously set position.

Press and release the tailgate button.

Allow the tailgate to power-close fully. The tailgate's programmed memory is restored.
  • RyanRC
    United States 

Thanks for the info jimbg.

Yeah, I oddly happen to be able to swing by the dealer today and one of the sales people showed me this feature.

She said she knew for sure this works as its basically a standard thing on every LR they make.

At any rate I did measure what would seem like the highest point if it were open full and was a little hard to be 100% sure as I could mess around with things to much, but to me it seemed like you would need at least 7 feet if not a inch or so more to not hit things.

It was then another sales person saw me with the tape measure and came over to tell me even for that the rear was sitting at one of its lowest ride heights and then tried to get it a tad lower to see what dif it would make but could not seem to get it to go down more. He then raised it to its full height just to show me how it could get even higher. To which I didn't even bother to measure that as I would have needed a small ladder.

I then spoke to him about my idea of replacing the pistons and he kinda frowned on that. Basically he said the computers in these things have gotten so much that you never know what things could happen with them when you start disconnecting things and for what anyone might know it might seem harmless but then upset all kinds of things elsewhere an even perhaps things you would never expect.

Which I can't say I could disagree with.

I might try it anyway as I couldn't imagine it could do anything permanent and then if something just won't work with them disconnected, guess I will do the programed thing with it just barely open.

An then to be completely sure guess I'll just tape pillows to my house too.

Btw, at 7 feet that would hit the raised garage door itself even if I pulled the car all the way in past the door frame.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Jacko wrote:

Jacko, my brother is on the D4 forum and he informed me last week. Tbh I think it's just a rumour. Would cost LR a packet if they decided to completely change the rear end so soon.
  • Jacko
    Australia 

I bet if a 3rd Party build one they would make a squillion.

- have split one
    - OR have glass fold out.

So many options.
  • Tim in Scotland
    United Kingdom 

I was with a bunch of Disco fanatics last weekend and only one had changed from a D3 to a D5, the rest said that reasons that they had not changed were the ungainliness of the tailgate design and the height of the rear was too high for their dogs to jump in which they could do in their D3 and D4. Land Rover is loosing repeat sales from D3 and D4 owners purely because of the tailgate design either on user friendliness or aesthetics of the rear view. LR would never admit that they got it wrong and a redesign so soon in the life of a new model would be just that admission - it is important to LR to retain existing clients so they will be listening to feedback and reading comments on forums and taking note. Will be interesting to see if the forthcoming facelift L405 (FFRR) retains its split tailgate.........
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum