Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• stingray
    Wales 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Surplus Stock?

My local dealer has eleven pre-registered D5s for sale, mostly with just a few hundred miles on the clock. Not sure what this says about their popularity, but for a new model it seems rather worrying, and it is a far cry from the availability of the D3s and D4s, which always seemed to be in great demand with long waiting lists.

I also have a feeling that depreciation may turn out to be frighteningly rapid, compared to D3/4 holding value really well.

Sorry to sound so negative, and I really want to like the D5, but there are many things that I don't like about them, and these factors just add to the list!

Any thoughts?
  • oop north
    United Kingdom 

stats are out today that number of cars sold is falling (was that June figures just out?) - continued drop since March, so might be a general market thing, not just D5. A good bit of rapid depreciation will be quite good for me buying a used one in a year or two Laughing

I have been keeping my eyes on XC90 prices too - new shape appear to have dropped 5k for the cheapest ones in the last 2-3 months (that might not be accurate - based on random autotrader surfing when I am bored)
  • Sacimiddx
    United Kingdom 

I think we have seen 'Peak JLR' in terms of price and deprecation - the glory days over

in light of recent news my D5 might have to do a 23 year stint Laughing
  • J77
    Scotland 

My dealer out their whole network has 3. They've no problem shifting them.

The D3/4 won't hold its value long. The Fl2 held its value well when the DS was launched, now they are but a distant memory.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

A sign of low demand / stock building will be when LR put Finance Deposit Allowances on models. All models currently have a FDA apart from D5 and Velar.
  • Chalky
    United Kingdom 

J77 wrote:
    My dealer out their whole network has 3. They've no problem shifting them.

The D3/4 won't hold its value long. The Fl2 held its value well when the DS was launched, now they are but a distant memory.

Yes, but you are talking about a different type of customer with the Sport.

A lot of D4 owners like me (I've had three) bought one for the practicalities in the countryside for field sports etc. The backend of the D5 is so badly designed, for example a tailgate that is next to useless and the tailgate when up bangs you on the head where it slopes down.It has been designed for urban use and all of my friends who drive the D4 will not be changing to the D5. I'm just going to take out an extended warranty on my D4 and see what happens.

My wife saw one at the Game Fair yesterday and said if you buy one of those, I'm moving out!!....So I bought it Rolling with laughter

LR have lost the plot as far as the countryside is concerned and they are so arrogant in the dealerships. It will come back to bite them. A real shame.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Cars are cheaper to run than wives ! Thumbs Up
  • J77
    Scotland 

Not really, there was a lot of fuss over the DS rear from the Fl2 lot, most of those that created the fuss now own a DS.

The D5 is a very useable car, having had 3 previous Discos, I've yet to find something they done that the D5 can't, and 4 months of ownership and I've never banged my head on the tailgate.

The fact remains the D4 won't hold its value for ever.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Craigp
    England 

There's a lot to be said for the split tailgate and most of it as been said many times. However I really like the new boot door and the fact you can open it from your key fob really handy when it's peeing down like now (in Cornwall ) running from the supermarket with the shopping flick the switch and there's a nice rain shelter waiting for you.
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

I couldn't agree more, no need to debate perfectly good reasons for people needing the split tailgate but the "head banging" thing just isn't a real issue, at least for me at 6 foot plus. A little more care when parking, but not significantly worse than my D4 which itself needs a reasonable amount of clearance.

The tailgate is different but not useless and in many ways for me (and I stress for me) it is more useful and the plank is actually far more valuable than I thought. It does give you great cover and is fine to sit on while changing boots. I had a FFRR as a loaner for over a week while the A Pillar and various software fixes and it is just as much of a token gesture as the plank.

Had three D4's myself as well, and the only car that I have ever cut my head open on was my wifes original XC90 in 2003 !
  • RyanRC
    United States 

I'm sorry to say that in all the time the D5 has been out in my area of the states, I finally just actually passed one on the road the other day.

In comparison and yes I know there are many reasons why, but still as I live in an incredibly wealthy area I must see at least 50 if not more a day of some other kind of LR.

Is funny as for at least my personal feelings and not that it was a factor for me...but I think the D5 did detract somewhat from the classically known look of what LR has done over the years. Second the price if you really wanted it to have much really adds up quick.

All in all when I was pricing one out back in the spring mine came out to almost a 75K car. Then with taxes and other things it would have gotten to almost 80k. Which yes I had just about ever option, but still for that number I am getting close to just getting a LRS.

Guess over all my point would be that while I think this might just pertain to my area, for the most part people buy any LR and pay all the money one costs as it represents something for them as far as how much money they have.

Yes there is no denying they are also getting a great offroad vehicle as well, but most and again at least for my area don't have a single clue about that, use it at all for that, and for all could care less about that.

All they know is that other people they want to impress know how much it costs and so thats the whole point.

So with the D5 they built a great combo of a off road vehicle combined with all the luxury and tech of the RR line had, but as the target buyers at least for my area are all about letting someone else know how much money you have, they would rather spend the little bit extra on something more recognizable. Then for the person who really wants it for all the off road it can do...the price is just to high.

Anyway, just my 2pea on the subject.
  • Tripe
    Australia 

Your comments match my conversations

The top of the range D5 in Australia on road is over 140k Au, this is around $112k US or $85k UK pounds, At this $140k mark it pushes the vehicle into Porsche, AMG and M class SUV's territory.

I am more of a $85-$100K buyer, but people we know who regularly buy $100-$250k cars and who have land rovers, would much rather AMG's, Porsches and RRS at that price point.

And what's more the Au dollar buying power has appreciated nearly 25% since Brexit. LR easily had the abilty to put a top of the range D5 with all options into the Australian market around the $100-$110k mark.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I have yet to see another but they were launched in Montreal June 14 onward. Two of the dealers had events that I know of, One with test drives the other didn't seem to offer them but it looked a very swish sort of do. I had had some interaction with that dealer but didn't get an invite Big Cry

I do not live in the city and there are maybe 3 or 4 LR vehicles I see from time to time so I am not surprised I haven't seen many D5s. In fact on a recent road trip to and through Newfoundland clocking over 5600km (only the first 900 in my D5 ) I probably saw half a dozen LR products.

I suspect its not that they dont sell its the fact that they are very much an urban phenomenon and thats not my environment.

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum