Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Jim4244

Anyone gone from a L494 RRS to a D5?

Hi all

I normally lurk over the RRS forum.

My current L494 will be coming up to be replace next year and after configuring a new one I was shocked at the cost of a HSE with a few extras😱

I then spec’ed up a new D5 HSE and was surprised by the saving.

So, have any of you fine folk jumped from a RRS to a D5? If so what is the difference in the driving experience?

Jim
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Only at the dealers. Sat in an RRS which was very nice, then looked at the boot which I didn't think was going to house a few Golden Retrievers. Jumped into the D5 and never looked back.
    But that's probably not what you meant.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

Good to see traditions are being followed re Goldies. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Sam, Goldie & Toby Gordie from many years ago in a galaxy far, far away. Well NW Scotland. Whistle
  • Sacimiddx
    United Kingdom 

The RRS is noticibly different - a much more focused and involved drivers car

My advice get yourself a long test drive in the D5 before you jump in

Also the stick is more preferable and intuitive than the dial

Absolutely nothing wrong with the D5 - it’s horses for courses
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

The stick ought to be more intuitive, but the dial isn’t riddled with infuriating safety interlocks that seem to randomly deny access to required functions Evil or Very Mad
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Too cute Del. To avoid this thread going completely off topic I've posted my lot in a "new off-topic everything else -Dogs" section.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Jim4244

Hmmmmmm......... after reading through various threads on this, the RRS and the Full Fat forums I really do think that my current RRS will be my last Land Rover.

I have had 4 Sports since 2011. 3 were great cars and one (L494) an old dog of a vehicle which I rejected after 4 months of ownership and 7 trips back and forth to the dealership for various problems that could never be 100% fixed.

I came over onto the D5 forum only to find that many of the problems which worry RRS, Full Fat and Evoque owners are just as common on the new Disco. I had hoped that fewer of the problems which are common on the RRS and FF would be found on the D5.

Over the years, between my wife and myself, we have owned

3 Range Rovers.
    4 Discoveries.
    1 Freelander.
    2 Evoque’s (1 rejected due to very poor paintwork)
    4 Range Rover Sport’s (1 rejected due to screaming brakes, disappearing TFT instruments and dodgy electrics)

So I guess that you could say we are loyal to the brand. Not all the cars were new and the 3 Range Rovers were early 2 door models that would have been worth a fortune if I had kept them!😩. Our first new Disco was a TD5 ES7 and 1 week after the warranty ran out (1 year back then) the gearbox gave up the ghost at just 9000 miles. Land Rover didn’t want to know and said it was my driving style (sound familiar?) So I replaced the gearbox and swapped the car in for a Volvo XC90.

8 trouble free years of motoring followed with a new battery and 2 sets of tyres. Then I decided that I wanted a change and replaced the XC90 with a Sport after being assured by the nice salesman and LRCRC that poor build standards and quality control issues were all things of the past............lol.

With all the quality control problems, faulty crankshafts, oil dilution and a dissatisfaction in the dealership network and the constant price hikes I am really struggling to justify buying another Land Rover product next year. I simply can not justify spending £70,000+ on a car that has known issues which Land Rover refuse to acknowledge ........☹️
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum