Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Windscreen Replacement - What you should know...

Hi all,

just had a stone fly up and crack my windscreen, just my luck!

So fortunately I have windscreen cover, however theres something they don't tell you...

After you've paid your £75 excess and had Autoglass come and replace the windscreen, you then have to book your car into your local dealership and get the cameras and sensors recalibrated!

Just checked and my local garage Harwoods, will charge me an hours labour plus VAT. So thats £150+VAT! Shocked

So that stone will cost me a total of £255! Big Cry

Not happy!
  • fisherman
    United Kingdom 

Is the cost not part of the cover from your insurer?
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

I wish!

Autoglass did suggest I call my insurance company, however after talking to three people at Aviva the third one said no...
  • fisherman
    United Kingdom 

I think I’d argue that. It either covers a replacement of which this is part of or they don’t.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

I would think that if you went to the dealership to get the windscreen replaced it would have been included.

Going elsewhere, they obviously cannot include the calibration in the invoice they send to the insurance company.
    Multiple invoices probably have insurance companies thinking they've paid out twice for the same incident. They always find a way not to fully pay, don't they.

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Thats a very good idea, however i've tried that already.

The dealership isn't on the list of approved windscreen companies for my insurance company. So they won't accept them to replace the windscreen.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Wow ! That is hilarious.
    The approved garage for the manufacturer is not approved to change a part on a vehicle they fabricated.
    So the insurance company will insure your vehicle, so long as replacement parts are not original (expensive) parts.

I was also told that if i replace the windscreen by a non Land Rover one, i will have to pay to get it replaced by a Land Rover windscreen upon my lease end return as Land Rover do not accept anything other than their heated windscreen.

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Re: Windscreen Replacement - What you should know...

rogersmj wrote:
    Hi all,

just had a stone fly up and crack my windscreen, just my luck!

So fortunately I have windscreen cover, however theres something they don't tell you...

After you've paid your £75 excess and had Autoglass come and replace the windscreen, you then have to book your car into your local dealership and get the cameras and sensors recalibrated!

Just checked and my local garage Harwoods, will charge me an hours labour plus VAT. So thats £150+VAT! Shocked

So that stone will cost me a total of £255! Big Cry

Not happy!

What cameras the camera 📷 s has n the front bumper not the windscreen
    What sensors re there as far as I know just the rain sensor and high beam assist and they were on D4 s and didn’t need recalibration think someone may be trying to pull the wool

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Rockcypher
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

Owners manual via iGuide, states lane departure cameras located at base of rear view mirror

2000 D2 (sold), 2004 D2 (sold), 2005 LR3 (Lives in CO), 2005 RR (sold), 2010 LR4 (sold), 2012 RR (sold), 2014 RR (sold), 2017 D5
  • roverdawgpac
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Si6 First Edition Farallon Black

Yep, I believe the camera(s) for lane departure and traffic sign recognition are located at base of the rear view mirror.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I would have thought that the LDW cameras were at the bottom of the wing mirrors, seems the obvious place to pick up the markings?

But then I have not looked in the manual. Thumbs Up
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

It is definitely LDW as my wife’s Evoque has LDW but no surround. It is also the Autonomous Emergency Braking, as that throws up a warning until the windscreen clears when icy.

I suspect by being forward looking it gives earlier warning of drift, looking down under the mirrors would be too late (or require a much higher level of precision and accurate position of each marking rather than the interpolation of a line that forward facing would allow).
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Yes that makes sense.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Yeah, I have the lane departure warning camera, traffic sign recognition camera, rain sensor and the Autonomous Emergency Braking camera too. Not sure if a camera does more than one of these functions, but i've been warned that these all need to be aligned if I want them to work properly.
  • Tom Wilder
    England 

I do know that Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) camera self calibrates and will flag any issues by a warning light - there is no need to recalibrate using a diagnostic tool after a windscreen change unless the system tells you to do so .
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum