Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• rich
    New Zealand 

Towing, electronic brakes and caravan rearview camera.

Just made the decision to order a new D5 HSE to go with impending arrival of 23ft caravan.

Questions:

1. What sort of towing electrical sockets does D5 have (I have owned D3s and D4s),

2. I will need electronic braking. Is this an easy retrofit and is there liable to be any effect on new car guarantee?

3. Can I get a video feed from the camera at the rear of the caravan, into the dash screen so I do not have to have another screen for rear view, stuck on windscreen.

Thanks in advance. Be gentle I am in New Zealand.
  • Optimus
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Hello Rich,

Very interested to know if you were able to get any of your questions answered. I have a 20FT RV trailer that I tow and I wonder if I need to get a brake controller installed so I an brake my trailer. I don't have a factory built towing package but had the dealership install the LR tow hitch after my Disco arrived.

Thanks,
  • rich
    New Zealand 

No have not really had any replies to this post other than yours. But, from my research it appears that there is a ready fitted socket behind steering wheel facia of the D5 that takes the connections for a brake controller, even without the tow pack fitted.
    Have spoken to caravan supplier and LR Dealer and seem to be getting there. My main problem is that I am awaiting delivery of both at present. Figure will be much easier once both vehicles are in town. Thanks for interest.
  • rich
    New Zealand 

Also interested to know, Optimus, if you run your RV trailer fridge while travelling. I have been told by caravan dealer that I need to run a heavy gauge battery supply wire from D4 battery to towbar.
    I would have thought the fridge would be running off the caravan batteries, which are in turn being charged by the D4 alternator. Cant see why that current draw would need an extra heavy wire.
  • ChrisNussey
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

G'day Fellas,

I collect mine at 12pm today and will be fitting the same and a second battery to run the fridge and other bits.

To respond,

1 - In Australia, I believe NZ is the same, it comes with a 12 pin "Flat" Britax type connector.

2 - I am fitting a Redarc Tow Pro. It is straight forward no issues and been done before quite often on the D5's in Aust.

3 - Keen to play and find out re fitting the Camper camera into the in car screen. I think the only issue may be that you not supposed to be able to watch video when the car is moving.

Chris.
  • rich
    New Zealand 

Hi Chris

So you have AL KO breaks on your caravan? (our van is Avida). So you pretty much just plug and play. I have the Land Rover circuit diag with pin numbers for the Britax and the socket under the steering facia.

My caravan man pointed out that while you MAY be able to get rear camera to come up on centre screen it is not really practical to have it on a multi use screen... where you have radio GPS etc. The rear view cam on van needs to be available all the time. So he has suggested a clip on to the rear view mirror screen... seeing as you need to know what is behind you all the time and the interior rear view mirror is useless with a bloody great caravan blocking the view.

You just need to get a 12v supply run inside headlining to supply power.

Then instead of hard wiring from tow connection to front of D5 I am trying to source a cheap video transmitter and receiver which can be discretely mounted inside vehicle and they only have to work over 2-3 metres.
  • ChrisNussey
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

G'day Rich,

My camper is no wider then the car so the side mirrors are all I need. It's only reversing where it will be handy. There are full WiFi cameras available designed for this off the shelf.
    The Tow Pro will work with all axles/brakes not just Al Ko I'm sure. Discs and drums.

Chris
  • rich
    New Zealand 

Cheers for that...

My reason for many of these questions is that I am trying to avoid running extra wiring from front to back through a brand new vehicle. so hence my questioning over caravan fridge. Where is your extra battery going?

Our Avida caravan has its own battery to power the 3 way fridge, which is being charged by D5 alternator when travelling. So my real question is still, "what guage does that connection wire between D5 battery and tow hitch connection through to the caravan battery need to be?"
  • Craigp
    England 

I would imagine that a switched 12v supply (controlled by alternator) is already available in your wiring loom at the rear. Ready for connection to a trailer plug.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Not sure if my input here will help. I tow a horse box, which has a 12v camera fitted inside, so you can see the horses whilst you are driving.

The camera operates from a 12v supply directly from the loom thats part of the wiring plug, and the pictures are picked up via a wi-fi feed to a linked monitor inside the car. All of this is part of the wiring loom on the car, and I didn't need to add anything else. There is also a light inside the horse box that takes the same feed, from the car, through the wiring loom, to the light.

The horse box already has a braking mechanism built into the towbar, so when you break, the brakes are applied to the axle on there trailer.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum