Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• RedBall
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Car won't lock.

Had this problem last time we had snow in December. The locking suddenly stops working and the car keeps trying to unlock itself every 30 seconds or so.

It's pointing to something freezing up, but 24 hours in a garage with heater and it doesn't change, just keeps unlocking itself. No manual locking or remote locking seems to have any effect it doesn't even try.

Stick the key in the four little manual lock holes and it locks, only for it to automatically unlock itself a few seconds later.

Last time the dealer had it a week, couldnt find the problem and it remarkably fixed itself. They installed a whole new central locking module and recoded all keys, with the exception of the activity key which they forgot and needed it back for a day.

Snow on the ground again and same fault is back. Car cannot be locked and battery flattens itself constantly unlocking. I'm fuming to the extent that I may try to just reject this thing even though I've had it almost a year. It simply cannot be trusted when it gets cold so is completely unfit for purpose.

Interestingly the remote app says that a door is open. I've looked for sensors etc to see if one has water ingress or dodgy connections, but nothing to be found. Any ideas where to start looking for fixes?
  • RedBall
    United Kingdom 

As an update, the app is showing all doors closed now and still no change to the locking issue.

It still tries to unlock itself every 30 seconds or so. Even if the car is run and you exit the car without locking it. It still tries to unlock, or at least that's what it sounds like. A quick click like it's trying to run the unlock and then several louder clicks can be heard in three short bursts from the fuel filler cap area.

I've tried opening and closing the fuel filler a few times to see if something is frozen up in that area, but no joy.

Dealers in the morning for me. I'm just going to dump the thing there.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I'm the most un mechanical person on this forum,. so i can't actually diagnose your fault, But we had a FFRR at work that had a dodgy STOP START Switch,
  • RedBall
    United Kingdom 

Doesn't seem to be related to that as the car starts with the button just fine and stops with it too.

I'm hoping I can get one of the techs to come and witness the fault, as last time by the time the car got there the battery was dead and they didn't see the unlocking/clicking fault in action.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

We have had snow and cold weather since December and I have not had this issue, but that’s not to say the weather is not making an existing problem worse?

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • RedBall
    United Kingdom 

I'd imagine if it were something common related to cold weather then those owners in Canada or northern US states would be seeing it.

It's "only" -5 Here so hardly the sort of temperatures that should be causing issues.

I think moisture is getting somewhere it shouldn't when we have snow and ice. When it thaws the problem doesn't go away, but a week in the dealers workshop and it dries out and problem goes away.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

There is a common thought here that we have a dry cold, I well recall coming back “home”after a year in Canada and thinking how cold and damp it was! Minus 2 or 3C. If I recall when 8 had experienced -20C and below for an extended time.

It’s all in the mind really

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

I would call Land Rover Assist. If you get a proper JLR person they'll know about common issues across different platforms and seem very up on the latest issues / faults and solutions.
  • RedBall
    United Kingdom 

I did that last time. Due to the weather they couldn't get a propped JLR technician until the following day and when he did turn up he hadn't got a clue either.

This when it got loaded on a recovery truck and sent to the dealers who spent a week trying to fix it and JLR got involved and still couldn't. They eventually replaced all the central locking controllers and the problem magically went away. Well turns out it wasn't that as the problem is back again.

If JLR themselves can't diagnose the fault, how long am I supposed to put up with it being unreliable before they decide to replace the car?

I don't think I stand a chance of getting it replaced after a year, and I'm just destined to have a 70k discovery that doesn't work in snow and I can't trust to be working when my family need it in adverse conditions.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Maybe something with one of the key fobs? Put them in a metal container and see if it stops?

Or, if it is related to snow - is the snow covering the sensor that detects you are trying to open the car?

Ron
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

This sounds like it could be a fault with one of the switches on the door handles.
    On mine if I have the keys in my pocket and am washing the car, when I run the hose on the door handle it locks and unlocks the car, did exactly the same with the last 3 Discoveries and sounds like with yours the cold may be affecting one of these handles.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Hmm, Land Rover Assist would still be the way i'd go, I wouldn't want the car sat outside unlocked.

I had a similar issue with my last D4, Land Rover Assist came out, couldn't fix it, so took it away and gave me a nice D4 as a loaner until mine was fixed. Turned out it was a central locking switch issue on one door, the safety system thought it needed to open all the doors, so it kept the doors open..
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

As I suspect a faulty door handle/switch

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • RedBall
    United Kingdom 

It's all in the hands of the dealers now. A night in the garage defrosting and I'm left with a lot of puddles from melted snow and a car with a near flat battery.

I managed to start it and I drove it to the dealers. Have given them all the keys and said I'm going down the route of it not being for for purpose. It simply can't be relied upon when I most need it.

It's not the dealers fault so I remained pretty calm with them and asked them to speak to the relevant people at JLR as I'd either like a refund and I'll go off down to Audi, or my preferred solution is to just build another one. Sadly wouldn't be a first edition, but I guess they could spec one close.

Doubtful JLR will wear that on a year old 9k mile car, but the only way I'm accepting this one back is if they put it in writing that if the same fault occurs again they will replace with a brand new vehicle with the same spec or higher. If they aren't confident enough in their repair to do that, then I see no reason why I should be expected to have confidence in the vehicle again.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum