Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dave97v5
    England 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Farallon Black

Adblue freezing up

Just returned from Scotland which was at -10 when I left and turned into Heavy Snow, after travelling approximately 11 miles warning lights on dash and message saying fault with exhaust additive and restart not possible after 500 miles. I believe this to be caused by the Adblue fluid freezing in the system and not being sprayed into the exhaust as it is supposed to.
    After stopping at services for about 20 minutes the vehicle heat must of thawed the fluid and everything was ok after restarting the journey.
    This is not what you would expect from what is supposed to be one of the most rugged vehicles in the world and should be able to cope with all temperatures.
    Has anyone else had this problem in the cold weather ?
    Big Cry
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Dave97v5 wrote:
    Just returned from Scotland which was at -10 when I left and turned into Heavy Snow, after travelling approximately 11 miles warning lights on dash and message saying fault with exhaust additive and restart not possible after 500 miles. I believe this to be caused by the Adblue fluid freezing in the system and not being sprayed into the exhaust as it is supposed to.
    After stopping at services for about 20 minutes the vehicle heat must of thawed the fluid and everything was ok after restarting the journey.
    This is not what you would expect from what is supposed to be one of the most rugged vehicles in the world and should be able to cope with all temperatures.
    Has anyone else had this problem in the cold weather ?
    Big Cry

I started mine up at -28c a week ago without any issues.

What you describe sounds like it needs a top up of AdBlue.
    From what i have read that's how it tells you. A quick message and it will only appear way down the road when even less mileage is left before it's empty. And once the mileage is over you cannot start the vehicle again.

Someone else could chime in on the exact mileage the warnings come on.

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

forlorn and I have been running at temperatures below -20Cfor over a week and have had no issues.

I did have a DEF quality warning with no restart after 500km when I first had the beast it did restart and was a software fault. There are two threads on this one from me and one from Diesel Ranger. If it is this fault you can restart up to th distance but not after. Although in your case I guess the warning disappeared

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

The DEF tank is heated by a diesel fuel fired heater, so unless that's not working, you should not have a problem while you're driving. However, the warning for that problem may be the same one you experienced since it's an AdBlue system fault.

The AdBlue fault that's common manifests as "Incorrect DEF Quality - no restart in XXX mi". That's just a software update though - and should be a one-day in/out.

Fixing the AdBlue heater is a bit more involved and will probably take a few days, if that's the problem.

Have had mine sitting several hours in -10F here in the States with no problems....
  • Teemo
    United Kingdom 

I don’t think it’s temperature. I had the same problem after leaving Scotland between Christmas and New Year but the temperature was about 0 deg C then. I think it was just a sensor or software fault that cleared itself after an engine restart because after a stop at Tebay the fault disappeared.

• arsi
    Finland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

I have had this also.
    I was told that if the DEF container freezes during the travel and system uses all that is in the preheat chamber, you get this message. If the DEF fluid is already frozen when you start the engine, the system notices it and ignores warnings.

The DEF fluid container has a small chamber that has heating elements that gives the system some amount of DEF fluid to use even when temperature is below DEF freezing point.
  • Andy3445
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Exactly the same warning came up on Saturday while driving to Ayr, so it’s also happens on the MY18 model too , I was a bit worried as the return journey was 450 mile, but it cleared after a pit stop and did not appear on the return leg, just put it down to landroveritis Big Cry Big Cry
  • Dave97v5
    England 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Farallon Black

Thanks for the picture Teemo, this is exactly the message I had and it did not clear until I stopped at services for about 20 mins.

It could of just been ANOTHER software fault and I will mention it when it goes back to the Dealer again next week.

It seems to have a Scottish connection and I'm going back next week. Laughing
  • J77
    Scotland 

Can’t blame our weather.

My ones survived without warning, but then it’s 10 months old so it’s got acclimatised.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Strange how a Malfunction gives you a remaining mileage. Isn't a Malfunction in that moment ?

That's why my first thought was that it needs a top up.

If it would be an actual Malfunction as the dash mentions, why would it tell you 500 miles in advance ?

What is the actual wording used in the dash message when you need to top up ? Does it mention Malfunction ?

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

from memory the message is some like DEF refill required in XXX km.

When I had the DEF quality warning, my first thought was to top up the DEF, As we know now it was a know soft ware issue and a top up had not effect

https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread634-15.html

Last edited by Blackfly on 26th Jan 2018 3:12 pm. Edited 1 time in total

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Teemo
    United Kingdom 

Freezing point of AdBlue is -11°C. When I got the malfunction message, the temperature was nowhere near that. No happened since Christmas and it's been far colder since....
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

ForlornMTL wrote:
    Strange how a Malfunction gives you a remaining mileage. Isn't a Malfunction in that moment ?

That's why my first thought was that it needs a top up.

If it would be an actual Malfunction as the dash mentions, why would it tell you 500 miles in advance ?

What is the actual wording used in the dash message when you need to top up ? Does it mention Malfunction ?

I think the intent is to not allow restarts if the DEF isn't delivered to the SCR - whether due to an empty tank or a clogged line. No DEF = unacceptable NOx. This prevents one from simply crimping the delivery line and capping off a full tank. The intent of the "No restarts in XXX miles" is to give owners a chance to get to a shop without being stranded in the event of a malfunction.

Dash message doesn't mention malfunction if the tank is low - it gives you a "refill required" message and counter starting at 1,500 miles. I don't recall the exact wording but I'll probably be reminded this weekend as I'm at 1800 miles to empty and I plan on a day trip with the kiddo for skiing.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum